What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6 Beta 4 Release Reveals No YouTube App

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
7717-ios-6-beta-4-youtube.JPG

AppleInsider reports today that the release on Monday of iOS 6 beta 4 to developers has already thrown up at least one significant shock, with the news that the YouTube app, which has been a staple of iOS for the past few years, appears to be missing from the build. According to AppleInsider, it has been confirmed by people who have installed the beta on their devices today that the Apple-developed YouTube app is not included in the beta. This may not mean anything, of course. It’s possible that it will return in the next beta, or for the final gold beta and the version that is released to the public. On the other hand, as AppleInsider points out, the fact that Google owns You Tube could have something to do with the matter, and the possible elimination of the YouTube app from iOS 6 could be reflective of increasing tensions between Google and Apple, which have also been evidenced in Apple’s completely de-Googling its new iOS Maps app that will soon be appearing in iOS 6.

Source: Apple removes YouTube app from iOS with beta 4 release of iOS 6

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The mobile YouTube website has worked better than the app for some time; in my opinion, anyway.

Apple has also responded by saying it's license to include the YouTube app in iOS has expired; though it's been observed that third party developers need no license to access YouTube, so it's unclear exactly what Apple was licensing.

Apple also said that Google will be creating it's own YouTube app, so obviously some communication and coordination have been happening in the background; which somewhat undermines the idea of increasing hostility.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As stated above YouTube is available within safari and works fine. The app never was a very good product so it really is no loss. Just search YouTube then add to desktop.

RodC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a delight! The app was aging + it did not allow streaming of official music videos - complete brainer! The mobile YT via Safari works great. Hopefully Google will come up with an even better YT app.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't recall having any problems with the app, but I do agree that I'd rather it come from Google that Apple, just because Google owns youtube. Why should Apple have to carry that weight when Google has plenty of talent to do it themselves? I think it only makes sense for Apple to let Google do what Google would do best. And frankly, who can live without Youtube? Apple would never leave its users without a viable means to use Youtube. And, more importantly, neither would Google.

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Apple would never leave its users without a viable means to use Youtube" - @AQ_OC - I love your confidence but IMO Apple do not give a "toss" about its users - it only cares about its profits.

The web based Youtube has always been better than the app version anyway! so let Apple drop Youtube - who cares?

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After Using the Utube app on ICS Android, (Which is a beautiful app) the IOS version sucks, and dosent compare, so I wont miss it being removed, maybe a 3rd party might make and sell a utube app?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ziffos said:
"Apple would never leave its users without a viable means to use Youtube" - @AQ_OC - I love your confidence but IMO Apple do not give a "toss" about its users - it only cares about its profits.

The web based Youtube has always been better than the app version anyway! so let Apple drop Youtube - who cares?

If apple drops the app, they will let Google develop one. Apple does care about its users because that is the best way to generate profit. The two go hand in hand. No one is an island.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
If apple drops the app, they will let Google develop one. Apple does care about its users because that is the best way to generate profit. The two go hand in hand. No one is an island.

You got that right. Without the app store, the iPhone would be just another phone. We've discussed as nauseum here that the iDevices are not necessarily the best in terms of hardware, but that the overall package drives the market.

If you want to see an amazing piece of hardware that is let down in just about every way possible by its software, OS and support, take a look at the Blackberry Playbook. My wife has one. I wish they could run iOS. She might be able to do a bit more than read emails and browse the web if it could.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that Apple isn't an island, but it's also shown that it's willing to drop things that make users find handy in Apple's quest for profits.
For example, they initially allowed in-app sales without charge. Then they initiated a 30 percent charge to vendors, so some ended up giving up their apps and others stopped in-app sales. Apple could've charged less, for example, and kept usability for customers. In another case, in iOS 6, Apple will apparently drop Google maps, which has features such as street view. If Apple ends up using its own mapping, such features will be sacrificed. Of course not all users count on street view, but the point is that with in-app purchases and Google maps, customers lose features because of moves initiated by Apple.

Those are specific examples of Apple putting profit ahead of users and features they've already come to count on.

When I buy any device, I weigh features and the manufacturers' reliability in delivering those features. From what I've seen, I cannot rely on Apple to preserve existing features. I still find my iDevices very useful now, but I keep an eye on those kind of moves, and there's a tipping point that Apple can't reach if they're to keep me buying.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The mobile YouTube website has worked better than the app for some time; in my opinion, anyway.

Apple has also responded by saying it's license to include the YouTube app in iOS has expired; though it's been observed that third party developers need no license to access YouTube, so it's unclear exactly what Apple was licensing.

Apple also said that Google will be creating it's own YouTube app, so obviously some communication and coordination have been happening in the background; which somewhat undermines the idea of increasing hostility.

Does anyone know when the new iOS will be released?

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the new iOS will be released?

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

Latest rumor has it sometime this Fall. Of course, and as always, Apple never reveals anything until something is launched...

Marilyn

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Latest rumor has it sometime this Fall. Of course, and as always, Apple never reveals anything until something is launched...

Marilyn

Of course, just thought I'd ask, thanks!! ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts