What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 Update Problems Flood Apple Support Forums

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All the errors are related to overloading of the servers. Even the mighty Apple can't cope with millions of simultaneous users trying to download 700MB+ files!

OP
info

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it certainly seems that way, people want iOS 5 badly. Hopefully, things will be back to normal soon.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No excuse for this fiasco. It's not as if Apple didn't know how many devices they've sold. It's not as if they don't have an email address for virtually every owner of an iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. It's not as if they could not have staged the updates for groups of users over a period of two weeks by enabling specific devices to be updated in an orderly queue. And it's not as if they could not have provided more informative error messages when users encountered problems. Any question about why enterprise level computing is still something Apple does not understand should be put to rest by this ridiculous situation.

michaelkjchang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the errors are related to overloading of the servers. Even the mighty Apple can't cope with millions of simultaneous users trying to download 700MB+ files!

I am downloading, it says 5 hours remaning (79.4 MB only)! I don't think it is right.

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried my phone, but got a could not restore error at the end of the backup. Since I'm going on a trip tomorrow, I will not try again until I return next week. Can't risk it.

Sent from my iPad2 32 3G Black :)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
No excuse for this fiasco. It's not as if Apple didn't know how many devices they've sold. It's not as if they don't have an email address for virtually every owner of an iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. It's not as if they could not have staged the updates for groups of users over a period of two weeks by enabling specific devices to be updated in an orderly queue. And it's not as if they could not have provided more informative error messages when users encountered problems. Any question about why enterprise level computing is still something Apple does not understand should be put to rest by this ridiculous situation.

Yes you are right. Please switch to Android. As fast as you can

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What we don't hear about are the tens of millions of people who updated just fine. It's always the noisy minority who capture headlines.

Our Enterprise Support Team has been working with our customers on upgrading since the release was first available and we are seeing less than 1/2 of 1 percent failure rate. Our database shows more than 280,000 customers have upgraded on their own since the release. We will be contacting everyone thru email who has not updated by next week before we publish code that requires iOS 5, but all in all this has been a very smooth upgrade for our customers so far.

Windows updates require nearly 80% hands on support for our staff in comparison, and every single one is a cluster-truck...

So relax. It's not all doom and gloom out there, and as for Enterprise support, the platform is doing just fine.

-t

Lovemyipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish I would of read the threads in the forum before I started about an hour ago... Started at 14 hours now says has 6 more to go. Guess I won't be using my phone tonight, luckily I still have my iPad.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What we don't hear about are the tens of millions of people who updated just fine. It's always the noisy minority who capture headlines.

Our Enterprise Support Team has been working with our customers on upgrading since the release was first available and we are seeing less than 1/2 of 1 percent failure rate. Our database shows more than 280,000 customers have upgraded on their own since the release. We will be contacting everyone thru email who has not updated by next week before we publish code that requires iOS 5, but all in all this has been a very smooth upgrade for our customers so far.

Windows updates require nearly 80% hands on support for our staff in comparison, and every single one is a cluster-truck...

So relax. It's not all doom and gloom out there, and as for Enterprise support, the platform is doing just fine.

-t

Sorry, but I'm skeptical. While it's certainly true that forums are always more likely to be an arena for complaints than for praise, it's also true that they are frequented by users with a greater than average knowledge of the hardware/software that defines the forum. And a review of the various forums including Apple's own support sites suggest a massive number of failures. In my case and in the case of several of my friends, there was nothing unusual about the environments we used for the update. Everything was "up to date." Followed the instructions to the letter. And ten hours later I'm still waiting for my iPad apps to be restored.

Here's a sample of the reactions.

iOS 5 Launch Becomes Update Disaster - Mobility - Smartphones - Informationweek

iOS 5 Release: Error 3200 and How to Fix Apple Upgrade Problems - Tech & Trend

Some users face problems upgrading to iOS 5 | Mobile | Macworld

iOS 5 breaks down upon arrival for some mobile users | ZDNet

Error 3200: iOS 5 Upgrade Attempts Thrash Apple Servers

Apple’s iOS 5 Error 3200: Now Trending Worldwide | TechCrunch

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As someone in the software business my whole career, I've never bought into the sky is falling approach to reporting problems.

Good news does not make headlines.

I will go by our experience over the last 12 hours rather than sensational journalism.

By the way, 22,467 more newly upgraded customers have logged into our servers running iOS 5 since my last post.

-t

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the way, I am also sorry to hear you are having problems, however my admin just finished her iPhone 4 update. She started about an hour ago and is not particularly computer savvy. She did install iTunes 10.5 yesterday so that was finished, but she did the iOS update all by herself this morning, no problem.

-t

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of complaints and problem posts. I'm going to hold off on iOS 5 till the mess is cleaned up.

Most reactions

Latest posts