What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 beta version issues - Read before posting about locked iOS 4.2 restore

Laxman10100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I just wanted to give you all a fair warning about the new iOS 4.2 beta. While the new iOS has many new, great features, it also has some VERY negative flaws (And yes, I know, it's only the beta so there should be flaws, but some are REALLY BAD). But what my main point is, is for you to stay on iOS 3.2.2 (Or whatever firmware you may have) until the full, retail release of iOS 4.2. Why? Well me and my friend (Who also has an iPad) noticed something very drastic when installing 4.2. Besides all those fancy new features such as multitasking, ringer mute, and wireless printing. You also get to face the fact that half of your favorite iPad apps will NO LONGER WORK as they're not compatible with the iOS 4.2 beta. Apps such as ABC Player, all of the Battlebears games, and a few other apps that I had no longer would work. HTML5 video in ANY web browser will also no longer work. Only YouTube seemed to be working for me and my friend. Lastly, after updating your iPad to this beta firmware, you CAN'T downgrade it. Well... You can downgrade it, but not without facing major problems. When you downgrade, everything will be fine until the process is finished. here's the bad part. When you try and open the App Store, it will crash as the downgrade from the 4.2 Beta to 3.2.2 some how corrupts the App Store. You also wont be able to sync any of your apps onto your iPad from iTunes. So my suggestion to you is NOT to upgrade to the new beta iOS. Unless you're a serious developer, I'd stay with 3.2.2 until the retail release of iOS 4.2 in November. Otherwise, you'll be stuck at 4.2 beta with a ton of apps that wont work and there will be no going back until a new update is released. Hope this helps some of you. PLEASE post some comments about what's working and not working for you with the iOS 4.2 Beta. I'm very curious to know if it was just a coincidence that me and my friend all faced the same problems, or if some problems are only happening to us for some odd reason. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

seandc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wish I would have read this a few days ago, before I installed the 4.2 beta. Have spent the better part of two days trying to downgrade (to no avail).

Biggest issue so far is that the mail app crashes within 10 seconds of opening anytime I'm connected to a Wi-Fi network, rendering it all but useless. I've tried different combos of my mail accounts (turning one type off, etc.).

I also have to restart the iPad every 10 minutes or so because, although it says my Wi-Fi network is connected, I somehow lose my connectivity (though I can confirm the connection does work on other devices). Safari says I have no connection, as do other Internet-connected apps that otherwise work. Once I reboot, it works until the mail app crashes a few times.

A number of third-party apps do not work or exhibit odd behavior (this is to be expected).

If you manage to find a way to uninstall AND still have a working iPad with an earlier version of iOS, I'd love to hear about it.

Sean

OP
L

Laxman10100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you developer? or have you a jail broken iPad. Just curious

Well, I actually am not a developer, nor do I have a jailbroken iPad. I like to call myself a personal tester (stupid, I know). I like to just like to get new firmwares and betas (not just of iOS firmwares but other various things as well) to see how they work out. What needs improvement and what should be completely changed. Just sort of an odd thing I like to do so I can later spread the word of what's good and what's bad.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
sounds like you just spent $99 to register as a developer just to get 4.2 and are now made that everything isnt perfect.

These type of things happen with every iOS beta and apple posts updated beta versions fixing issues about once every other week.

Oh, and dont know if anyone else noticed but, my ipad is now charging via USB to the PC when it wouldnt before 4.2 :)

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's hardly a surprise that many apps won't work with a new operating system.. Which tends to be why they release a BETA for DEVELOPERS so they can get their apps WORKING prior to releasing iOS4.2 to the normal user.

Just in case that isn't obvious enough for people.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only app that is the least bit flakey is The Weather Channel. When I go to open up my local forecast, it bombs out and dumps me back to the home screen... sometimes.

My WiFi has been rock solid since the upgrade that "fixed" those problems (3.2.1?)

As far as the charging, AFIK it has always done this when connected to a PC even though it says "Not Charging" (which it still does), but I think where people get messed up is that they have a power saver scheme that puts their system to sleep or hibernate mode in which case, it will stop charging.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, if it is any consolation, you've probably saved many people pain and suffering :)

I will certain wait now.

And who needs to spend money registering ad a dev, there are ample ways of getting the beta if you really want it for a craploadton less.

OP
L

Laxman10100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sounds like you just spent $99 to register as a developer just to get 4.2 and are now made that everything isnt perfect.

These type of things happen with every iOS beta and apple posts updated beta versions fixing issues about once every other week.

Oh, and dont know if anyone else noticed but, my ipad is now charging via USB to the PC when it wouldnt before 4.2 :)

It's not that I'm mad about the bugs in the firmware. I just wanted to explain the problems I was having to perhaps give people a heads about what might happen if they upgrade.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not that I'm mad about the bugs in the firmware. I just wanted to explain the problems I was having to perhaps give people a heads about what might happen if they upgrade.
It looks like we had very different experiences with our upgrades. I think the most valuable lesson here is that once you do the upgrade, you are pretty much committed to using it so if it doesn't work, then you are pretty much SOL!

Personally, just about all of my apps still work as promised and I am sure the others will be fixed (I hope!) by the time the final (and nothing is ever final when it comes to software!) is released.

My only reaction so far is that 4.2 is not going to be the panacea that Apple would like us to believe it is.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is something I do when I update my BlackBerry OS. I back up, clear out, load OS, reload OS load backup...
I did something similar with this. Basically loaded OS twice. I also had mail issue this morning but reset with app open and it's been fine since. My wifi seems to be faster ?
Love the folders options.
Maybe a few resets will cleanup some bumps.

Ok update: I'm out and about on 3G today, having some issues....most apps won't re-open without reset. I can't connect to open wifi...gonna try that again later.... This isn't fun. But could just be me being wary...however my friend is right beside me on stock OS withoutnsame issues...will see how the day fairs and if things settle in

Last edited:

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the Problem with people downloading a beta from some obscure source without Dokumentation and then seeing all the issues.

The mail-issue is known and documented by Apple.
simple disabling 'Push' will make it much more stable. It still crashes now or then, but overall, it's usable.

Pinchot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Disabling the Push (global) does make it more stable, as well as setting each account to manual worked for me.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Something I just noticed, I needed to update my payment info for my ipad data plan today and the ATT data account info is missing under settings in iOS 4.2. ATT wont do anything account wise over the phone for ipad plans, so I had to downgrade back to 3.2.2 to upgrade my ATT account info and then go back to 4.2

I sent in a bug report for it to apple.

Most reactions

Latest posts