What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2.1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dondon123 said:
Hi Guys,

just new here, just got my iPad g1 4.2 how do I get it to update to 4.2.1. TIA.

Connect to your pc/mac iTunes should automatically find and ask you if you want to upgrade. If it doesn't when it is connected to iTunes on the left hand side column (below all the playlists) you will see your iPad listed, click on that then on the screen that comes up click on th button that says something to the effect of "check for updates" and just follow the instructions.

Sorry, just re-read your post, the current iOS is 4.3 which is what you will get if you do what I said above but not sure how you get an older version of iOS!?

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dondon123 said:
Hi Guys,

just new here, just got my iPad g1 4.2 how do I get it to update to 4.2.1. TIA.

Connect to your pc/mac iTunes should automatically find and ask you if you want to upgrade. If it doesn't when it is connected to iTunes on the left hand side column (below all the playlists) you will see your iPad listed, click on that then on the screen that comes up click on th button that says something to the effect of "check for updates" and just follow the instructions.

Sorry, just re-read your post, the current iOS is 4.3 which is what you will get if you do what I said above but not sure how you get an older version of iOS!?

The Archangel

Archangel is right - the current version is 4.3. The 4.2 that you mention was, in fact, 4.2.1 - so the only option you have is to upgrade to 4.3. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to upgrade to an 'old' iOS version, anyway - even if you had the previous version of iOS to 4.2.1.

The 4.3 manual is available for free at the iPad iBook store, so you can read about the new features and decide then whether you want to upgrade.

Tim
Scotland

molk958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can update to an old ios, howev it is only, as far as i am aware, possible through the redsn0w jailbreak

OP
D

Dondon123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the advise, I was actually getting an error message. when i tried to update my ios. "The iPad could not be updated..... Error 3014"

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah - the infamous '3014' error...

OK - a few questions, if that's OK....

(a) is your iPad jailbroken?
(b) what version of iTunes do you have?
(c) PC or Mac?

Let us know and hopefully we can find a way through this....

Have fun

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

Dondon123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my ipad initially with ver 4.2.. I tried to JB it using greenpoison rc6.1, now Im not sure if it is successful or not, GP said the JB is successful, but when I go in and click loader, it doesn't load cydia and doesn't do anything. I got the latest version of iTunes 10.XXX (not sure exactly), using Windows 7.

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is from the Apple Knowledge Base (KB)

"Error 3000-3999: (3002, 3004, 3013, 3014, 3164, 3194, and so on) Error codes in the 3000 range generally mean that iTunes cannot contact the gs.apple.com server on ports 80 or 443. This may be because out-of-date or incorrectly configured security or firewall software is interfering, or due to your Internet proxy settings. If you are using a proxy, try without using one or with a known-good network. If that does not resolve the issue, follow iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues. Error 3014 may indicate that you need to free up more disk space on the computer before trying to restore again."

Do any of these apply to you? Have a look and get back if the problem persists! Difficult problems are the ones we like!

Tim
Scotland

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
molk958 said:
You can update to an old ios, howev it is only, as far as i am aware, possible through the redsn0w jailbreak

Actually you can update to an older iOS, but it has nothing to do with redsnow. You just have to download 4.2.1 from a website or get it from a friend since apple will only let you download 4.3

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, guys, guys.... SO MUCH MISINFORMATION AND PARTIAL TRUTHS! :D

You can ONLY downgrade or upgrade to an IOS version OTHER than the current version being provided by Apple (currently 4.3) by having saved SHSH blobs for the version you want to install.
Just downloading the IOS version you want from the internet and shift / option-restoring in iTunes WONT WORK. Apple has a security system which cannot be bypassed and requires a signature from apples servers which is particular to your device alone. The only workaround is to save your unique signatures as Apple makes them available to you. There is a window of opportunity only whilst Apple is providing the signatures for the current IOS. The window for 4.2.1 was closed just after 4.3 was released.
You can save them either using Cydia's "make my life easier" feature and / or Tinyumbrella on your PC.
If you don't have saved SHSH blobs for 4.2.1 for your device then it is IMPOSSIBLE to install 4.2.1, no matter what you do or what version of IOS you are currently on.

In the OPs situation, without saved SHSH's for 4.2.1 he cannot upgrade from 4.2 to 4.2.1. The only option is to go to 4.3 as Tim said, just not for the reasons he said :)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Guys, guys, guys.... SO MUCH MISINFORMATION AND PARTIAL TRUTHS! :D

You can ONLY downgrade or upgrade to an IOS version OTHER than the current version being provided by Apple (currently 4.3) by having saved SHSH blobs for the version you want to install.
Just downloading the IOS version you want from the internet and shift / option-restoring in iTunes WONT WORK. Apple has a security system which cannot be bypassed and requires a signature from apples servers which is particular to your device alone. The only workaround is to save your unique signatures as Apple makes them available to you. There is a window of opportunity only whilst Apple is providing the signatures for the current IOS. The window for 4.2.1 was closed just after 4.3 was released.
You can save them either using Cydia's "make my life easier" feature and / or Tinyumbrella on your PC.
If you don't have saved SHSH blobs for 4.2.1 for your device then it is IMPOSSIBLE to install 4.2.1, no matter what you do or what version of IOS you are currently on.

In the OPs situation, without saved SHSH's for 4.2.1 he cannot upgrade from 4.2 to 4.2.1. The only option is to go to 4.3 or stay on 4.2.

Hope that helps.

I meant you can still downgrade. Apple hasn't killed the 4.2.1 shsh yet. I upgraded to 4.3, realized it is lame and you can't jailbreak and downgraded the next day. And i didn't have any shsh saved. And this was a couple days after iPad 2 was released. So before you go telling everyone they are wrong, do a little research. Apple never kills the shsh immediately.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually the SHSH have not been supplied by Apple for several days now. Confirmed. I do my research mate. I am an Apple developer and keep a very close eye.
Google it, you will see plenty of people complaining that the window is closed for 4.2.1 and they missed it. Try and pull them yourself now. Fail? I think so.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
molk958 said:

Actually you can update to an older iOS, but it has nothing to do with redsnow. You just have to download 4.2.1 from a website or get it from a friend since apple will only let you download 4.3

Really, you want to get into this with me? Downloading a old version of IOS is not just what he as to do... Get your facts right BEFORE you criticise me for providing irrefutable facts and truth...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts