What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 11 Problems and Issues Thread

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new Dock can quickly become over populated with icons as you use your various apps. Removing them is a problem for me, however. The instructions say to lightly touch the icon you want to remove from the dock and slide it to the main screen. This has not worked for me. In fact on occasion the move removes the icon from the main screen. More often nothing happens and it remains in the dock. Has this move worked for you?

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My immediate solution was to turn off “Show suggested and recent Apps” in the dock. I’m not sure that was Apple’s intention though.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The new Dock can quickly become over populated with icons as you use your various apps. Removing them is a problem for me, however. The instructions say to lightly touch the icon you want to remove from the dock and slide it to the main screen. This has not worked for me. In fact on occasion the move removes the icon from the main screen. More often nothing happens and it remains in the dock. Has this move worked for you?
The three dock positions on the right side of the dock are for your three most recently used apps. The other apps are the ones you selected to be in the dock and aren’t automatically changed or added to. It works in a similar manner to the dock in macOS.

I have moved items in and out of the dock according to the directions and it has worked for me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you don't like seeing the three recent apps on the right, you can turn them off in Settings > General > Multitasking & Dock.

However, once you get a handle on how multitasking and the new dock works, I think you'll want them. It's the quickest way to switch between recently used apps.

This area is also where the continuity feature work (you are doing something on your iPhone, and want to switch to the iPad.) The open app on your iPhone (if it supports continuity) shows up on the right side of the dock.

10795E4F-1020-4E24-A1C3-C9DD444D7363.jpeg

In this example I have a web site open on my iPhone, so Safari with a little iPhone icon shows up on the right side of my dock. If I tap on this, Safai is opened to the same site and place currently open on my iPhone.

Note: Also notice the sublte and easily missed line seperating the recent/suggested/continuity section from the rest of the dock.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi it’s only been a couple of hours, found something that you might be able to help me with.
IMG_2760.jpg

Here is a photo with the normal stuff that was at the bottom in iOS 10. As you see it gets kinda messy now when it’s opened in a page with apps.
On the Dock? I don’t use the blue iCloud file, is it possible to remove the file logo and put it there instead?
I have tried but failed so far.

Thanks in Advance

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If my page looked liked this for example that would be cool
IMG_2761.jpg

But it doesn’t

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What you see above the dock, is the App Switcher. All you can see there, are apps you’ve used. It’s not possible to move an app icon from the dock to the App Switcher. You’d have to open the app, to see it there.

On iOS 10, you have thumbnails almost as big as the screen. That’s different now in iOS 11. The thumbnails are way smaller. That’s also where you can close apps, by swiping the thumbnail towards the top of the screen, as before.

Or did you try moving an app to the Control Centre?

Last edited:

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No as before for example if l wish to turn on Bluetooth l could swipe up to turn control centre on turn it on and swipe it down to close it.
IMG_2760.jpg

As you see in this picture it looks a mess. I would like to tidy it up. How do l go about this bitte

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Next point.
Before when my iPad did not recognise my finger l had to use my code, this screen for me has now got very foggy how do l correct this ?
IMG_2763.jpg

It used to be black crisp and sharp

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Next point.
Before when my iPad did not recognise my finger l had to use my code, this screen for me has now got very foggy how do l correct this ?View attachment 79563

It used to be black crisp and sharp
I think that depends on your wallpaper. I get the same grey screen on my iPad, when I have to enter my passcode, and my home and lock screen are mostly white. My iPhone has a coloured background, and the screen shows it somehow, when I enter the passcode.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No as before for example if l wish to turn on Bluetooth l could swipe up to turn control centre on turn it on and swipe it down to close it.
View attachment 79562
As you see in this picture it looks a mess. I would like to tidy it up. How do l go about this bitte
You can remove some of the icons, or add new ones to Control Centre. You’ll have to do this in Settings - Control Centre - Customise Controls.
1E17E17B-47EF-47B3-9A9E-BD7BB73686E7.png

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you are missing my point, how do l stop the control centre from opening up in a page full of apps ? Can l get it to open in a page of its own without losing an app from my present Dock setup?
Why must l have the iCloud file in my when l don’t use it ?
Surely it should be optional it would make the Dock on my 5s crowded for nothing.
I do like the new keyboard though SO FAR -=) doesn’t always work but that’s my metal pen thing.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do hope I’ve got your point now.

You can’t move the Control Centre to it’s own page.

It’s possible to move the Files app from the dock. Just press and hold until the apps start wiggling, then slide the app away from the dock. You have to do this when you’re on the homescreen, though.

On the iPhone, it’s not possible to put more than 4 apps into the dock, and Control Centre looks a bit different than before, but it’s still on it’s own page.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Forget the iPhone l’m topping out at iOS 10.3.
Just removed the file from the Dock thanks very much.
And l now have Setting in my Dock so when a member says oh to do this or that l will be on it like a Rabbit [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Most reactions

Latest posts