What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 11 is Draining Batteries Fast

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iOS 11 is draining batteries very fast.JPG

While it initially seemed that the launch of iOS last week was pretty uneventful as Apple software launches go, I’m sure many of you have noticed that it appears to be draining your iPads and iPhones way too fast. While this is normal when a new iOS version is launched, and something that usually settles down within a couple of days, this latest issue with iOS 11 seems to be sticking around a little longer than usual.

BGR writes that many users are experiencing this widespread problem, and that according to mobile security firm Wandera, iOS 11 is draining iPhone and iPad batteries more than twice as fast as iOS 10 did. Wandera arrived at this information by looking at “a subset of 50,000 moderate-to-heavy iPhone and iPad users” on its networks who were running iOS 11 and iOS 10, and comparing the average battery decay rate since iOS 11 was launched.

Wandera’s data shows that it takes an iOS 10 device 240 minutes on average to drop to 0% battery life from 100%, and just 96 minutes for an iOS 11 device, which represents a drop-off of 60%. Fingers crossed that this is something that can be solved with a software fix. Would you have upgraded to iOS 11 if you’d known that your battery life was going to take such a big hit?

Source: iOS 11 is draining iPhone and iPad batteries more than twice as fast as iOS 10

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iphone forum suggests that Siri is the cause of the battery drain. Hence it seems best to disable Siri for the present.

HisLittleOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery life is TERRIBLE since updating to iOS 11 :(
And I have followed all the advice I have read about disabling functions and features in the system that may be contributing to the drainage, but my battery is still sinking fast. What is the deal with this Apple?!?! I sure hope they come up with a fix soon as this is very unacceptable!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My battery life is TERRIBLE since updating to iOS 11 :(
And I have followed all the advice I have read about disabling functions and features in the system that may be contributing to the drainage, but my battery is still sinking fast. What is the deal with this Apple?!?! I sure hope they come up with a fix soon as this is very unacceptable!
Welcome to iPad Forums!

There was an update a few days ago (11.0.1). It came with bug fixes and performance improvements. Maybe it’ll help.
You could also try restarting your iPad, or resetting all settings (in Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings). That will revert most of your settings to default, and you’ll have to set them up again.

Hope that helps.

HisLittleOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

There was an update a few days ago (11.0.1). It came with bug fixes and performance improvements. Maybe it’ll help.
You could also try restarting your iPad, or resetting all settings (in Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings). That will revert most of your settings to default, and you’ll have to set them up again.

Hope that helps.
I have installed the update... Tried resetting the iPad... Nothing fixed the battery drainage. I hope Apple will take notice of this issue that I've read others are experiencing about very poor battery life with the new iOS. Thanks for your recommendations.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try installing the free Status Lite app, which has a cpu monitor. On my air 2 after a few seconds it drops to around 6%, whereas I recently had an app that kept it around 30% ( - actually a cpu monitor widget and it is no longer installed.) This may help identify something running all the time and hence draining the battery.

Also, in Settings, there is Battery and the usage list. I found that certain news websites are very high in graphical content and so hit the cpu cycles.

I hope this helps.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to add a clarification to my previous post about Status Lite. Obviously the 6% is with only Status Lite running.

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I installed iOS 11 on my iPad mini about a week back and and yesterday updated once more to iOS 11.0.1, however in both cases, I did not observe any battery drain issue. Battery life is as awesome as it was before. I noticed one thing with the update is that by default the screen is in auto brightness mode, which is adaptive to ambient lighting, I kinda like this approach, my android phone too has this feature, but what I found strange on iOS 11 is that there is no way to disable adaptive brightness.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I installed iOS 11 on my iPad mini about a week back and and yesterday updated once more to iOS 11.0.1, however in both cases, I did not observe any battery drain issue. Battery life is as awesome as it was before. I noticed one thing with the update is that by default the screen is in auto brightness mode, which is adaptive to ambient lighting, I kinda like this approach, my android phone too has this feature, but what I found strange on iOS 11 is that there is no way to disable adaptive brightness.
It's in Settings - General - Accessibility - Display Accomodations - Auto Brightness.

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks J. A.

This is kinda hidden secret instead of having this option in display and brightness menu. But good that it is there.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi J.A tell them about the search function in settings, you explain it better than me.

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice feature it seems. Does it search whole iPad or only settings and sub menus?

Atindra

Most reactions

Latest posts