What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, I have just joined in the hope these boards might help me make a decision on which internet tablet to buy. I am due to buy either July or August so plenty of time to research.

I'm very torn at the moment.

My phone is an Android which I do love very much, lots of customization, roms etc etc. It does everything you need a smartphone to do.

I recently decided to get an ipad 2 but am unsure due to it being so locked down and lack of connectivity for external devices. What I do like about it is the screen display, responsiveness, graphics and build quality of course. I do know a little about jailbreak but not enough to want to attempt it on such an expensive device so for the first couple of months at least, would be using it out of the box.

My other option would be to get an Android tablet (sorry if that's swearing on here) but in comparison, battery life is poor. Most of them at the moment have resistive touch screen or tft which I really am not keen on. The plus side is that I could get a really cheap one for a year and then upgrade in a year when more are out with better quality all round. However, not sure I am that patient.

I'm leaning toward the ipad in all honest at the moment because I have seen both 1 and 2 in action and been very impressed. I know there are more apps available for ipad 1 and 2, android has very few games that are optimzed for tablets and not all their tablets have 3d acceleration which I personally think is quite an essential part.

I hate my laptop, it's windows, slow and often explorer stops responding and I have to wait a couple of minutes for it to right itself and quite frankly am sick of the more or less daily windows updates. lol.

I know the ipad can't replace my laptop, neither could an android but considering what I do mostly is browse, email and message boards, the ipad or another tablet should do the job nicely. The additional bonus being that I would probably enjoy playing motor racing games on a tablet. I never play games on the laptop, no desire to, it's a heap of rubbish. lol.

So sorry for the long introduction, hope it's ok to post so much in this thread.

Any information on what an ipad can do that the other tablets can't would be greatly appreciated.

Will stop for now and hope to become a good community member.

Thanks for taking time to read my introduction.
Alison

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, and your post length is fine. You should see some of mine!

Of course, we would recommend the iPad to you..., but hopefully you'll get a balanced discussion of the merits of all platforms from our members.

Just for your info, you can't jailbreak an iPad2 yet. Only iPad1. The process is completely safe and I look after that section of the site, so come on over to the Hacking section any time if you want to learn more. It is a relatively easy and risk free endeavour. Any jailbroken device can be connected to iTunes and restored to a factory fresh state at any time and there is nothing you can do to your iPad whilst jailbroken which can break or brick it. Whilst Apple say it voids your warranty, it really is just a moot point as you can easily reinstate it by removing the jailbreak! Simple.

Hope you enjoy our forums.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the lovely welcome.

My decision is now made. Ipad 2 for sure. I decided that Android is too far behind in the market in several ways.

Much as I don't like the idea of being locked down, the ipad 2 is definitely the one for me. So many apps to choose from, games are extremely widely available and it can do pretty much all I want from it. AND I KNOW it will work how it's meant to, unlike Android devices which can be very buggy and involves alot of messing around to get set up how you like it.

All I need to do now is decide on which one. I think it will be the 32gb wifi and 3g, all depends really, I have three contracts with T-mobile and one of them has a 3gb data allowance. I have been told that if I go to the Apple store, the sim can be cut to size and be used in the ipad 2. If this is correct, I will go for the wifi and 3g, if not, I will tether instead.

My other option is to go for wifi only, use the sim with the most data allowance as my main line and tether with that instead of with the one that only has 1gb allowance. Hmmm, decisions decisions eh. lol.

I am so blummin' excited now and can't get it before the 14th July, how annoying is that? I can hardly contain myself now. lol.

Alison

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have the ability to set your phone up to tether on your existing account, a wifi only pad would be fine. Lots of folks do that and no JB on iPad is required. But only the 3G model has true GPS built in, so if location based services are important to you, you might consider the 3G better.

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, I do like the idea of gps but my phone does actually do that anyway. I think to keep cost down I might opt for the wifi only.

Wish I didn't have to wait so long to get it though. lol.

Alison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, I do like the idea of gps but my phone does actually do that anyway. I think to keep cost down I might opt for the wifi only.

Alison

Welcome, Alison! We will wait with you.:) Really think about just getting wifi only ~ if you go out with your iPad a lot, you are going to have to find hot spots. I got both as I need to be able to access the internet on a dime while out in the field ~ I have seen some regret not getting 3G too.:(

But I hear you about cutting down on costs. I do pay an additional $15 a month for my 3G.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hazi1964 said:
Many thanks for the lovely welcome.

My decision is now made. Ipad 2 for sure. I decided that Android is too far behind in the market in several ways.

Much as I don't like the idea of being locked down, the ipad 2 is definitely the one for me. So many apps to choose from, games are extremely widely available and it can do pretty much all I want from it. AND I KNOW it will work how it's meant to, unlike Android devices which can be very buggy and involves alot of messing around to get set up how you like it.

All I need to do now is decide on which one. I think it will be the 32gb wifi and 3g, all depends really, I have three contracts with T-mobile and one of them has a 3gb data allowance. I have been told that if I go to the Apple store, the sim can be cut to size and be used in the ipad 2. If this is correct, I will go for the wifi and 3g, if not, I will tether instead.

My other option is to go for wifi only, use the sim with the most data allowance as my main line and tether with that instead of with the one that only has 1gb allowance. Hmmm, decisions decisions eh. lol.

I am so blummin' excited now and can't get it before the 14th July, how annoying is that? I can hardly contain myself now. lol.

Alison

You've made the right choice, it will be at least 2 years before Android catches up..... Besides, the iPad IS the daddy :)) welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Welcome, Alison! We will wait with you.:) Really think about just getting wifi only ~ if you go out with your iPad a lot, you are going to have to find hot spots. I got both as I need to be able to access the internet on a dime while out in the field ~ I have seen some regret not getting 3G too.:(

But I hear you about cutting down on costs. I do pay an additional $15 a month for my 3G.

I won't need to worry about that cos I can tether via my phone, my phone becomes a wifi hotspot for me. :)

I'm already impatient to get my new toy, July 14th is when I can get it. I so wish I could do it this month but that would mean being five days late with next month's rent and that's something I have never done before so don't know what the consequences could be. Not worth risking so I have to wait. Aaaarrrrgh! lol!

Alison

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You've made the right choice, it will be at least 2 years before Android catches up..... Besides, the iPad IS the daddy :)) welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yes, I think so too, 64gb wifi only, nice case and screen protector too. Will get the case and screen protector before I get the ipad, that way I can have it protected immediately I buy it, want to keep it in mint condition.

I have butterflies in my tummy, is this normal? lol!

Alison

Reaction score

Alison
There are some GPS units that work well for the Ipad and cost less than the difference between the wifi and 3g models. Unless you go star chasing, need directions while driving or hiking the wifi only should suffice and you can use the money difference to get a bigger memory one.
I've had my Ipad since early March and haven't used 3g yet.
For the things your Ipad can't do there is an app called Splashtop that allows you to manipulate your Windows machine from your Ipad, allowing you to use it for the heavy lifting and Flash support the Ipad doesn't do without a crap load of apps.
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll like it here.
No Android is not profanity here, just an annoyance to a few.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the only tablet that I would look at beside I pad is the samsung 10.1 that will be out in a few days .

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Already looked at that but it's too expensive for a Samsung device in my opinion. lol

Alison

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Alison
There are some GPS units that work well for the Ipad and cost less than the difference between the wifi and 3g models. Unless you go star chasing, need directions while driving or hiking the wifi only should suffice and you can use the money difference to get a bigger memory one.
I've had my Ipad since early March and haven't used 3g yet.
For the things your Ipad can't do there is an app called Splashtop that allows you to manipulate your Windows machine from your Ipad, allowing you to use it for the heavy lifting and Flash support the Ipad doesn't do without a crap load of apps.
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll like it here.
No Android is not profanity here, just an annoyance to a few.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

I use a mobility scooter and seldom go anywhere I would need sat nav, much as it's a nice thing to have. I have it on my phone anyway which should suffice.
Alison

Last edited:

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hazi1964 said:

Alison

I have the wifi only model, maps and navfree pinpoint my location pretty accurately and are decent enough gps route guidance software, considering they are free.

Most reactions

Latest posts