What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing me!

Kmrovnak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to the apple world. Getting used to it quickly. I like it but have had a number of quirky problems that are confusing.

Why does a blank browser page replace my words with friends page sporadically? I don't want to pay $58.00 for the answer to this question. (ask the pros would charge that)

Also, YouTube videos and other movie clips on the internet seem to buffer a lot making them very irritating to try to watch.
I think I need a basic course in iPad use. Hope to find some good info on these forums.
K.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Kmrovnak - welcome to the forum! :)

Your questions are rather confusing - please explain each much more clearly - there are plenty of great people here willing to help - good luck!

OP
K

Kmrovnak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Words with friends: when playing this game and it is my turn to play I can see the board with all the plays. If I just look at it for a while, that screen goes away and a blank browser screen appears. When I close the browser screen, the game board screen reappears. I would not expect this browser interruption while I am just looking and not touching the screen. I don't remember if this started happening after I upgraded to the new os5 operating system. I can understand the power saving feature which I think I have set for 5 minutes turning off the apps. But this auto switching to the browser screen doesn't make sense to me. I hope this is enough info. And is there a way to put this question in the correct forum? Thanks.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kmrovnak and welcome to the Forum,

I am a little confused by your comments also. But I'll take a stab at it. I don't know if you have updated to IOS5 or not but if you double press the home button this will bring up your multi task bar along the bottom. Here you will find all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. It is a good idea to clear this out occasionally, I do it every night. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle, a red minus sign will appear on each one. Press the red minus on all of them, this will just close them not delete them. Whenever an app plays up its a good idea to do this as a first remedy and then try it again. It is also a good idea to do a restart occasionally, hold down the power off button, top right hand. Long press until a power off slide appears, slide this and your screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When this disappears your iPad is now off. Long press the power button again until the apple logo appears. It will take a few seconds and then your iPad will restart. See if this makes a difference to your problems. If not then a reset is the next step. Hold down the power off and home buttons simultaneously, you will see the power off slide appear and then disappear. Release the buttons when the Apple logo appears. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start again now. This is a reset and will clear a host of problems. Also make sure you are within a good range of your wifi coverage when watching YouTube and the like. I find when I'm not it will begin to buffer.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think that the screen is refreshing itself by going to a blank browser page? Maybe words with friends still needs to update on their side with the major changes with the OS.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also play words with friends, great game. If you follow what I have said above I think this will fix your problem. Let us know how you go.

OP
K

Kmrovnak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you wanted me to do. But all my apps are up to date. If there's a mis-match between words with friends & the os, I don't know how to roll back the os or resolve the problem. This happens even when I'm entering words in the chat box. it is not waiting dot the other person to play. I may try purchasing it because maybe the ads are affecting it.

OP
K

Kmrovnak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops, Leelai, i see what you are saying. I'll try closing the app. Etc. I'm only getting white X in a black circle. No red minus. I know I did something like this when my email froze a couple months ago. I had to wait till the battery ran down and then recharge for me to be able to use the iPad again.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kmrovnak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Words with friends interrupted by random browser blank page

Oops, Leelai, i see what you are saying. I'll try closing the app. Etc. I'm only getting white X in a black circle. No red minus. I know I did something like this when my email froze a couple months ago. I had to wait till the battery ran down and then recharge for me to be able to use the iPad again.

I was able to get the red minus & closed all the apps. This may have caused the problem to happen less frequently, but is still happening. I'll try shutting off the iPad now.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How did you go, did it help any? I'm so glad you didn't press the white crosses, this would have deleted the apps, but they do ask you first if that's what you want to do. I once had a problem with words with friends and had to delete it and then reinstall again to fix it. I do hope the problem has ceased.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
K

Kmrovnak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your help. It's not happening as frequently, but it is still happening. I'm wondering if it's an IPAD problem and not a Words with Friends problem. I also use the IPAD as an e-reader, but I haven't had the problem happen with any of the e-readers I use. That's why I thought it was the game. Do you think if I purchase the paid version it would help? I am also wondering if the Ads could be interfering some how.

OP
K

Kmrovnak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not too great at navigating the forums. I've managed to avoid them since they've been invented. However, here's the text of what i wanted to respond to you with:

Hi, thanks for your help. It's not happening as frequently, but it is still happening. I'm wondering if it's an IPAD problem and not a Words with Friends problem. I also use the IPAD as an e-reader, but I haven't had the problem happen with any of the e-readers I use. That's why I thought it was the game. Do you think if I purchase the paid version it would help? I am also wondering if the Ads could be interfering some how.​

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kmrovnak said:
I'm not too great at navigating the forums. I've managed to avoid them since they've been invented. However, here's the text of what i wanted to respond to you with:

Hi, thanks for your help. It's not happening as frequently, but it is still happening. I'm wondering if it's an IPAD problem and not a Words with Friends problem. I also use the IPAD as an e-reader, but I haven't had the problem happen with any of the e-readers I use. That's why I thought it was the game. Do you think if I purchase the paid version it would help? I am also wondering if the Ads could be interfering some how.

That must be frustrating that it is still happening. Have you deleted the App and reinstalled it? I have the paid version, but I don't think that should make a difference. This maybe a transitional time for the iPad and apps. With the update to the IOS 5 operating system all of the apps had to be updated also and this is where I'm thinking the problem may lie. It's only when the release occurs that bugs are then found. A couple of my apps are not working at all now and when the updates came through for them, they wouldn't update at all. If you haven't deleted and reinstalled the app, give it a go and see if that helps. As I mentioned I had a problem with words with friends also and deleted it and did a reinstall and that fixed it. Hope this helps you. Let us know what happens.

dring52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution to Safari brower screen interferring with Word with Friends

I used the free version of Words With Friends on my iPad 2. It was very frustrating when the white Safari browser screen would appear in the middle of my turn. It was worse than ads. I paid 2.99 for Words With Friends and installed the app before I deleted the free one to see if all my games were there. All games were there when I gave my email address to the new paid version, then I deleted the free version.
No problems with the paid app, definitely worth it.

Most reactions

Latest posts