What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intro with a question

Arcilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a Dutch computer-geek, retired and now living in Spain. I've been using and/or programming computers since 1965: IBM mainframes, PDP minicomputers with UNIX, one of the first Macintoshes (1986), Acorn with ARM and RISC OS (a favorite), Psion, PALM, and of course (too) many MS PCs. And now finally an iPad! I really like it a lot. Maybe my next phone will be an iPhone ...

I have bought an HP Envy airprint compatible printer, but it turns out that my linksys WAG120N modem router can't handle airprint. My question: do you have a not-too-expensive modem/router that does handle aiprint well? For instance, does the D-link 2680 do?

Thanks!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

I have moved your thread to our Help Section where it will receive a better response.

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Arcilla - welcome to the forum! :)

Sounds like you already have an impressive computer background, so should be an easy solution for you? If you are having a problem w/ AirPrint (which I do not use), then you can either work through your printer and figure out a solution or possibly consider another inexpensive option? Really up to you and the advise that you may receive here from others?

For me I have a Canon printer w/o AirPrint, so I needed an alternate solution - a program was recommended to me on the forum called FingerPrint (description HERE) - just a $10 program that you put on your computer attached to your printer - both have to be on your Wi-Fi home network - has worked flawlessly for me - but just a suggestion - good luck and please post back if you find a solution - :thumbs:

OP
A

Arcilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for replying. @giradman: My computer background (mostly academic and theoretical) didn't help here a lot (again). It took me many tries and many forums to find out that it is my Linksys modem-router that does not work with Apple's bonjour (and both are too stubborn to do something about it). So my simple question is: which modem-router does? Apple only sells routers and I want to keep my cables to a minimum. I know about Fingerprint and Print N Share, but I specifically bought an Airprint printer to enjoy the printing paradise Apple promised me! In the meantime I use the HP eprint feature. @twerppoet: Yes, maybe I'll buy a D-link and tinker it a bit. Thanks again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't recommend the D-Links. The reason there are so many threads about tweaking them for the iPad is because they often have problems.

I've only used my Apple Airports and a mid-range Cisco meant for small businesses. I have no experience with modem/router combinations; which is why I did not make a recommendation. Sorry.

broomlands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just joined the forum and was also looking for a way of remotely printing from both my iPhone and iPad. I have downloaded FingerPrint to my Windows PC and both my Apple products found the printer immediately. I have run some test prints off for documents,emails and photos and all printed fine. My printer is an old Canon Pixma MX850 which is connected to the PC via USB, not WiFi.
A couple of points worth noting, firstly you may need to check your firewall settings so that FingerPrint can access your files. Secondly make sure that the FingerPrint icon is showing in the system taskbar tray as the program will not work unless it is. Finally your IOS devices have to be on the same network as your PC or Mac. The good thing is that you can download FingerPrint on a free trial, so if it doesn't work then just delete it.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Fog60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a WAG120n an iPad and an iPhone together with a Samsung 3305FW printer (AirPrint enabled). Had massive problems trying to find the printer let alone printing until ..... I enabled IGMP proxy in the WAG120n. Rebooted the router, printer, iPad and iPhone and ... It now works.

OP
A

Arcilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may have tried that, I don't remember, i tried virtually everything. My remedy was to buy an Airport Express and use the Linksys as a modem. Thanks anyway.

Most reactions