What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet on iPad via USB

wayner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be using an in-flight wifi service (Gogo Inflight) today for the first time. It looks like the service costs $9.95 for a laptop and $7.95 for a mobile device. I would like to simultaneously use a laptop, iPad and Blackberry. I know that I can get a network connection to the Blackberry via USB, but can I get an internet connection to my iPad via the USB once connected on my laptop?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid this is not possible. The iPad's USB connection does not support networking and there are no apps that can do this. The only way the iPad can connect to the Internet is through either WiFi or 3G. Maybe some other Forum member has an ingenious solution, but I can't think of one myself.

Tim
Scotland

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to simultaneously use a laptop, iPad and Blackberry.
Wow! Talk about multi-tasking! I have used this service before, but just with my iPad and the speed is actually pretty decent all things considered.

Reaction score
What wireless-card and OS does your laptop have?

I am wondering, because with Windows 7 Microsoft introduced a Virtual Wifi technology. Which essentially means, that you can set-up two wireless networks with one Wifi-card. So you could connect with one to the airplane's wifi and then share the internet connection via a second wireless network, which you would then join with your BB and iPad.

The main thing is, that it is up to the manufacturers to release drivers which support virtual wifi. So it does not work with all wifi-cards atm.

Most reactions

Latest posts