What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Plan

sillohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Traveling to Itally next week I want to take my iPad2 do I need to purchase international plan or can I just use a wifi hotspot?

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm headed there too! Verona is where my gal lives. Anyhow, if your pad is an ATT version then you'd be much better off buying a pre-paid microSIM from a local carrier once you arrive. Vodapone, TIM, Wind, Tre, and Telecom are all represented in towns or in the malls. As for WiFi it's pretty much hit n' miss in terms of locked signals. Just so you know, the iPad2 isn't locked to your carrier like your cell phone.

UPDATE: I'm taking one of these along just in case the carrier doesn't have a micro SIM in stock.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UEWF8I[/ame]

Dan

Last edited:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with SaberOne - you'll get seriously whacked for roaming charges if you use your US account. It's very easy to buy a local prepaid SIM card over the counter at an Italian telecoms outlet; the rates are reasonable and the activation is pretty fast (typically 30 minutes). You'll need to show them your passport when you buy the card. Make sure you have somewhere safe to store your US card when you change it out - very small and easy to lose!

Most reactions

Latest posts