What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intel and Microsoft Aim to Chip Away at Apple’s Tablet Dominance

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
microsoft.JPG

AppleInsider reports today that according to a new story on DigiTimes, Intel and Microsoft have been working with PC manufacturers in a bid to develop new Windows 8-based tablets that they hope will reduced the iPad’s current dominance of the market to less than a 50% global market share by the middle of 2013. According to DigiTimes’ source in the design manufacture industry in Taiwan, Microsoft will be releasing Windows 8 for PCs to device makers in September. AppleInsider says that there will be 32 Windows 8 tablets released in all this year, from the likes of Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Asustek and Toshiba, to name but a few. If any of these are to have a hope of competing with the iPad they must be truly competitive as far as price is concerned, and AppleInsider says that the Lenovo and Acer Windows 8 tablets are both expected to retail for around $300, in order to also compete with low-end Android tablets, with the more expensive Windows 8 tablets that will be gunning for the iPad costing up to $1,000.

Source: Intel & Microsoft hope to push iPad's global market share under 50% in 2013

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before Microsoft start talking about their intended market share, perhaps they should show us a product that exists. Maybe Windows 8 will be all it's meant to be, and maybe it won't, but one thing is certain. Brand awareness is the big thing in the tablet market, and we are all very aware of Microsoft's shoddy workmanship in the past. I, for one, wouldn't trust MS to put together a decent OS at the first time of trying, or indeed the 5th or 6th. If PCs are anything to go by, it will take MS about 10 years to come up with something half way decent. Meanwhile, they'll be watched by patent lawyers every step of the way.

I also like to see competition, but something about MSs arrogance makes my blood boil.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

lkilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is very odd. For the past 3 days, this particular thread has continually shown up on my app as having been unread. It won't clear away the little red "1." So, posting a reply to this thread, I'll see if it clears away the annoying little red number.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
lkilgore said:
This is very odd. For the past 3 days, this particular thread has continually shown up on my app as having been unread. It won't clear away the little red "1." So, posting a reply to this thread, I'll see if it clears away the annoying little red number.

One way of dealing with it is to go to "Current Threads", touch the arrow in the top right corner of the screen and Mark All Read.

Chemmilt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking forward to having other platforms if only to see prices drop. But in windows, there always seems to be something counterintuitive or something that is too complicated or something that just plain hangs up and crashes. I wish them well but will not hold my breath waiting for a decent product!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am looking forward to having other platforms if only to see prices drop. But in windows, there always seems to be something counterintuitive or something that is too complicated or something that just plain hangs up and crashes. I wish them well but will not hold my breath waiting for a decent product!

What makes you think Apple will make an attempt to compete on price? They don't do that in their Macintosh line, and ever have.

Most reactions

Latest posts