What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instrument and mic interfaces

BigCabDaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So part of my excitement in getting the new iPad 2 was to use GarageBand. Since I really am a musician, I'm wondering what interfaces are out there for mics and instruments. I only saw one instrument one on Amazon. Are they that rare? Is there a possibility of using my Lexicon Omega USB Interface? Thanks in advance.

jakeLowe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
theres peavey amplink one too for $10 less then iRig.

I don't have one but I done some research and it seems to be better then the in quality sound but not it quality build, durability.

OP
B

BigCabDaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IK Obi said:
No if you have to install drivers then it won't work. Our iRig and iRig Mic both work with Garageband.

Hmm... Brought home the irig but no luck getting it to work with GarageBand. No signal. It there a secret?

OP
B

BigCabDaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TJK said:
I am seriously considering grabbing the Apogee Jam:
Apogee Jam - Studio quality guitar input for iPad, iPhone and Mac

They also have a mic coming.....

Was about to do the same thing but then I read today that the Lexicon Omega is now iPad compatible. Not sure what that means, but since I own one, I plan on calling tech support tomorrow and will report back. I did try the irig and only go low volume distorted sound. Not sure the issue but I took it back to the store already.

OP
B

BigCabDaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All right! Great news: The Lexicon Omega works fantastically with my iPad 2 and GarageBand. Plugged it in and it just works. So now I have a digital interface for line level and mic level devices including phantom power for condenser mics. The only caveat would seem to be that the Omega isn't powering the iPad while it's plugged in, so plan on having enough charge to get through the recording session or pausing to recharge. I'm wondering though how much of a problem that would be given the great battery life the iPad has to start with and adding into that that you could turn off wifi, 3G, and Bluetooth while recording.

OP
B

BigCabDaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BigCabDaddy said:
All right! Great news: The Lexicon Omega works fantastically with my iPad 2 and GarageBand. Plugged it in and it just works. So now I have a digital interface for line level and mic level devices including phantom power for condenser mics. The only caveat would seem to be that the Omega isn't powering the iPad while it's plugged in, so plan on having enough charge to get through the recording session or pausing to recharge. I'm wondering though how much of a problem that would be given the great battery life the iPad has to start with and adding into that that you could turn off wifi, 3G, and Bluetooth while recording.

Note: You do still need Apple's Camera Connection Kit to make this work.

jakeLowe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my peavey amp kit hard ware. Great stuff. I'm shocked there's no delay. I must say amplitude is much better amp then amp kit. I'm probably going to have to get garage band anyway.

My friend has irig so I'll test both soon.

I made a iPad stand to hook up to my mic stand too for less then $10.

I'm shocked how well the peavey amp kit works. No delay at all. The noise reducing pedals in amplitude work great at reducing noise.

Im totally sold on the iPad now.

It's a game changer in many areas or my leisure time.

ipsingh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really feel nice to know that audio interfaces work fine with garageband on iPad, I loved it's guitar, synth, drums and bass sounds but keyboard sounds could be better.

jakeLowe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Super bummer!!

GarageBand doesn't work with irig or peavey.

I guess I need to buy the $100 one from apple.

GB is really amazing with live recording and changing stuff on the fly.

iamwally

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals! New round here but had a quick question. Just bought a Lexicon Omega second hand and hooked it up to my ipad 2. Works splendidly with ampkit but with garageband when I try to use the guitar amp section it is completely distorted and unusable. Has anyone else run into this problem? BTW Ipad 2 is running ios 5.0.1 and I know the Alesis io dock is having the problem I described with ios 5.0.1 but hadn't read anything abount Lexicon Omega experiencing any trouble which is why I purchased it over the io dock. Let me know.

Thanks,

iamwally

dave_bass5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had two iRigs and thought they were rubbish. I did have ok results with te GK pocket amp, and also GarageBand, but I felt it was too noisy and weak sounding.
Now I have the JAM interface I'm much more into using my iPad for this sort of thing. I've brought quite a few of the amp sims but my favourite is definitely AmpKit. This seems to have the strongest tone ( for bass) and hardly any delay, something I can't say for Amplitube with the iRig.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts