What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing non-App Store Apps on iPad

lsymmonds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Will it be possible to install applications published outside the App Store on the iPad? I want to tether my new iPad to my Droid by using PDANet which must be downloaded from the vendor's website to the iPad. I've read a few articles and forum posts which indicate this might be possible but I can't imagine how it would work with the iPad. I really hope so because I've just cancelled my 3G order and replaced it with a WiFi only order.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't familiar with PDANet, so I looked (very briefly) at the web site. I don't see any indication of a need to install client software on the computer or device to be tethered (in this case, the iPad) unless you want to do USB tethering, which I assume you would not.

IF you do actually need to install software on the iPad, I believe you'll be out of luck unless and until it can be jailbroken.

OP
L

lsymmonds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I wasn't familiar with PDANet, so I looked (very briefly) at the web site. I don't see any indication of a need to install client software on the computer or device to be tethered (in this case, the iPad) unless you want to do USB tethering, which I assume you would not.

IF you do actually need to install software on the iPad, I believe you'll be out of luck unless and until it can be jailbroken.

I thought I remember hearing Jobs say that the iPad comes unlocked. Is that the same thing as "jailbroken"? And why would you need to jailbreak the iPad to download something from the Internet? Isnt the question really more about if the O/S can handle an executable and if it will allow the executable to create folders and access the registry to create entries?

As for USB vx Bluetooth, I would like the option of doing USB if Bluetooth is too slow or unreliable.

OP
L

lsymmonds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well I have my iPad and the PDAnet app loaded to my Droid but I can't get it to pair with the phone. I think this app needs a client installed on both devices. If this is true then I really am screwed. I'll play with this one for a while and see how much I really need 3G and may buy one when they come out and sell this one.

Most reactions

Latest posts