What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inserting Image URL into a Forum Post?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
About to take my new iPad2 on the road w/o my usual laptop - want to reproduce most of the functions of the laptop; purchased a BT keyboard for email - important mainly for my wife - ;)

Now, I belong to a number of other forums and while 'on the road' I check in and leave posts - often I want to put an image either from the web or one that I've uploaded to SmugMug (an image sharing site) - of course on a laptop, right-clicking will bring up a context menu and the image URL can be copied or the image location saved; this can then be put w/i the post.

I've already learned to get my camera images onto the iPad, to manipulate them (using Photogene), and then to upload them to SmugMug - but I'm having difficulty in bringing up image URLs w/i Safari either on SmugMug or from another site, such as Amazon. I must be missing something simple (or possibly not)? Any suggestions? Apologize in advance if another thread already exists on this topic - thanks all! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you long press on an image in Safari and choose Copy from the popup menu, it actually copies the URL, not the image. Do this and then go to whatever app and text field you need the URL in, then tap to activate the field, tap and hold for the paste menu, and paste.

Sometimes, not always, Safari will also give you a Save Image option. If you do this the actual picture will be saved to the Photos app.

Also, I don't use SmugMug, but many image sites offer to send an email with the link to a friend. If you choose this options you can start the email, copy the URL in the email, then cancel out. As before, go paste it where needed.

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks TP for your always wise advice - :)

I was again trying some of those options but w/o success - from the iPad I went to SmugMug and chose an image, used the method described to 'copy' the URL - copied to a post I was trying to leave in the Good-Music-Guide (a classical music forum) - below is what appeared after previewing the image: 1) image not shown (just a small icon w/ a ? mark); and 2) the URL copied is different from the one I observe on my laptop by right-clicking - usually there is a *.jpg ending for images.

There must be an easy work-around to this issue and I'll give some of the other suggestions a try - thanks, again - :D

smugshot5199092-L.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah, the problem is that the URL needs to end in the file name plus extension like (someserver.com).

A lot of the new sharing services make a special sharing link that works fine to go to their servers and start a download, but won't work to just link the image.

As I said, I don't use SmugMug, but I see they advertise that you can embed your photos in blogs, forums, and more. Look for their how-to on that subject and I suspect you'll find your answer.

Most reactions

Latest posts