What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infrared remote control

DeathChant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would like to know if the ipad can be programmed to use as a universal remote control, eg, the tv, hi-fi, projector and the gate to my house.

If I am not wrong, ipad does not have infrared, but maybe the wi-fi from it can be sent to another device to throw the infrared signal to the individual appliances.

Can ipad use nevo?

Thanks in advance!
DC

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad remote control bluetooth

FLPR Universal Remote Control for iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch It is a hardware add on for the ipad

FLPR is the universal remote control for your iPhone, iPod touch and now even the iPad.

Turn your favourite Apple device into a remote control for just about any infra red controlled device - TV, blu ray DVD, set top box, music or media centre or even Foxtel IQ. Replace all those remotes on your couch with your iPhone. Get rid of that massive Logitech all-in-one remote by plugging in a FLPR to your iPod touch.
FLPR By New Potato Technologies is a revolutionary new accessory and app that transforms iPhone and iPod touch into a universal remote control, Also compatible with iPad.

You can control multiple electronic devices, including televisions, cable and satellite boxes, stereo systems, lights, ceiling fans and just about anything else that uses an infrared remote control. The revolutionary FLPR replaces a sea of remotes cluttering up the home.

Product Features

Accessory and free App create powerful universal remote combo
Controls multiple devices: TV’s, cable & satellite boxes, DVR’s, DVD’s, receivers and more
14,000 pre-programmed IR codes for easy setup
No batteries: powered by iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
User friendly and easy set up
The free FLPR app is available from iTunes store
Cheers col

Last edited:

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When Logitech and Google release there Google TV box you will be able to use the iPad as a Harmony remote!

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
When Logitech and Google release there Google TV box you will be able to use the iPad as a Harmony remote!
Yes, but not using RF. It'll communicate using Wi-Fi over TCP/IP (my Crestron remote currently does this, as does the current "Apple Remote" app, so it's nothing new, it's just not going to be a line-of-sight RF remote).

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iVan said:
I like that.
The iPad's so frickin' big there'll be no more losing the remote in the sofa cushions...

Lol. I use my iPhone to control Apple tv I don't think I want my new ipad on coffee table as a remote as it will be covered in finger prints from family not to mention maybe damaged, I have 3 adult kids at home love to eat kentucky fried in front of tv.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is one thing that is on the iPad wish list for many, to have the iPhone app for iTunes/Apple TV. I think I am just going to get a new Harmony remote.

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is a natural for replacing ALL of your living room remotes. If some developer would come up with a decent solution that's relatively simple to program and operate it'd be a winner. Think about it, how many of our ipads reside in the living room or close to it... There's a device out there for iPhones that looked promising, can't remember the name right now, but all the developer has to do is make an iPad specific app .....

BTW, I have a Harmony remote and hate it. Buttons are too small and prgoramming is not very intuitive.

mbierle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use FLPR on my iPad, iPod touch and iPhone and am very satisfied. It is easy to program, looks ok and functions well. I control a bluray player, HD DVD player, onkyo HT prepro, sacd player and projector. Working on getting x10 lighting programmed. Talked with the company and they are developing an iPad app. Right now it is just 2x iPhone app on the iPad. Nice thing is I can program all three devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch), leave the dongle in the theater and use whatever device I am carrying at the time. Best buy had them on sale for $60 a few weeks ago and I picked one up. Give it 7 out of 10 the way it is now.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Harmony remotes come in several flavors. I have owned a 520 for a long time and agree the buttons are small. It does a lot better than any other remote I have owned. The problem with the iPad as a remote is that you are going to have a attachment which will interfere with charging. What would work is a device that uses a wifi/Bluetooth device placed where it will connect to the devices via infrared. The iPad has a program that works like Harmony. You select a device and function. The iPad transmit to the infrared transmitter and it works the device. Best thing is that you can control it from any room.

Rich Gibson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with flpr but I do have the Re device. It's an infrared attachment which connects to the proprietary Apple connector on the bottom of both the iPhone and iPAD. It is very flexible and works well except the application for the IPAD is a warmed over iPhone one meaning it occupies only the middle third vertical stripe on the IPAD face and uses the same, rather boring buttons. To my knowledge no developer has a solution which uses the entire IPAD screen. From my view an infrared hand-held substitute is an old tech solution. The other day I came across a software package which works with the Wi-Fi and runs a controller which outputs infrared signals to the little buds you can place in front of each head unit. This way you don't have to hold the thing up in the air when you need direct line of sight to make it work.

Kiefler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't see this option in this thread. Thought you might like it.

Search for UnityRemote, sorry, can't post links yet.

It's a combination of an ir-transmitter that is controlled by your iPad, iPod or iPhone. It has to be placed somewhere in the line of sight of all your ir controlled hardware.

If there'd be a way to control everything using bluetooth it'd be great. This way you could place all your stuff out of sight.

Most reactions

Latest posts