What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In-car GPS/Enterainment

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do a lot of traveling with my iPad, so I created a way to mount it in the center dash compartment with only a minor modification. I use the GPS function for route info since I try diffent ways of traveling. Since driving in some areas is lousy for radio reception, I found a cable that would connect to the radio's input jack and a USB plug for charging. I can play music from the iPad tunes, and other things. One of my GPS programs even provides elevation readings when travelling through the mountains. Finally, I use Gas Buddy to plan the best places to get fuel.

My only problem is that the GPS programs are battery drains. No matter which charger I use, it will still drain on a long trip. With the 2 amp chargers, I can go all day without going below 40%, but if we do one of our 15 hour non-stop runs, we would need to turned off the GPS for periods to recharge. We also used the TomTom to find places to eat and Wal-Marts for rest breaks along the routes we take.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your post didn't mention which iPad you're using. I've found that with my iPad 2, I could go on long trips and my iPad would stay fully charged the entire time. That's just using an 12 volt iPad charger in the lighter. I have not taking more than an 1 hour trip since getting the new iPad, but indications are that it does too, more so if I turn brightness down on the screen.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mostly the original iPad. I have not done any really long trips with the new iPad, but it seems to be about the same or worse. Having two GPS programs going while listening to music, and also doing Internet searches is bound to be a drain. One thing for certain, while it is never long enough, compared to what I seen in the past with all types of electronics, the battery life is amazing.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suggest not driving nonstop for 15 hours, for safety's sake. Even with more than one driver, sleeping in a car and then driving is not the equivalent of a good night's rest.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We do not do the 15 hour trips very often. When we do, we convoy as a group usually, and most of the non-stops were in our F150 SuperCab. The rear seat folded down and was big enough to make a bed by laying down blankets and sleeping bags. Three of us to a vehicle. One sleeping, one driving, and one making sure the driver does not sleep. I don't have much problem making long drives. I also know when to pull over. We would leave out in the evening, me driving for the first few hours. My wife would take over at midnight or so, and then I sleep a few hours. Once in Korea, I had to spend 72 hours driving because I was the only one who could drive the vehicle needed to do the job. I swore to never again do anything like that. I also slugged a MP that tried to wake me up when I did get to sleep, but that is another story.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I would stick to the TomTom for GPS, and save the battery drain. I find my GPS to be unobtrusive while I'm driving. The iPad is a touch too big, IMO.

image-3701407544.jpg

In the picture above you can see the GPS. From my seat, it doesn't obscure any of the road.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally, I would stick to the TomTom for GPS, and save the battery drain. I find my GPS to be unobtrusive while I'm driving. The iPad is a touch too big, IMO.

View attachment 17179

In the picture above you can see the GPS. From my seat, it doesn't obscure any of the road.

Also, it is hard to see in general. The iPad, IMO, is perfect for long trips:
IMG_0461.jpg

Very easy to view at a glance. I keep my Garmin as a backup...tucked away inside my car.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@AQ_OC. Which app are you using? Apologies if you've posted the name before.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
@AQ_OC. Which app are you using? Apologies if you've posted the name before.

Navigon.

Sichan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ AQ_QC
that looks like a really nice set up
I should try that sometimes...

now i just need to plan for a trip to somewhere

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@ AQ_QC
that looks like a really nice set up
I should try that sometimes...

now i just need to plan for a trip to somewhere

I test mine out driving back and forth to work....80-mile round trip.

valinrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the Ipad is too much big to be used as a gps and uncomfortable. Il have to agree with kevinjs and go with tom toms. But using Ipad is also a great idea if you really have no gps

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a little 40 MPG 2012 Hyundai Accent. (It actually gets 40 MPG on the highway)..

Hyundai provides iPod connectivity in all its models. So, not only can you listen to your iPod, iPad or iPhone, but you can control it using the stereo and the steering wheel mounted controls. If all I want to do is listen to my music library, I can wedge the iPad between the console and the passenger seat with the cover closed and go through my albums and playlists using the stereo controls. Not only that, but the song, artist and album info appears on the car stereo display. There's no need to look at or touch the iPad.

I use the Tune-In radio app a lot to stream talk, music and sports off the internet. It integrates beautifully as well. If I'm listening to internet music using Tune In, the song info shows up on the radio display.. For many sports stations, the teams and the score show up on the radio display as well. While the iPad is showing the nav app, I still see the info for the music or Tune In app showing up on the car display..

For navigation, I use GPS Drive. It integrates well with the iPad audo apps. You can have the GPS voice instructions pause whatever you're currently listening to, or have the instructions talk over what you're listening to. Because I'm using the car stereo, the voice is easy to hear and pleasant to listen to.

The Hyundai glove compartment has latches to hold it closed on the sides of the hatch instead of in the middle. That lets me fold the iPad cover back and close it in the glove compartment. The iPad sits nicely out of the way. See photo below:

Edit.... Just to add.. The Hyundai connector has enough juice to charge the iPad. It's not fast, but the charge level does go up when the iPad is connected.

Attachments

• hyun-ipad.jpg
    hyun-ipad.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,224
Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts