What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Import midi to ipad

prdarby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad to play back midi backing tracks for live performance, thinking that it was time to put my old floppy-disc based setup out to pasture. I've found suitable looking apps - Midi Out, for example - and hardware such as the iConnect midi unit, but I simply cannot find a way of importing my existing midi files onto the iPad. I keep reading that it should be possible through iTunes, but I get a message saying that the files wouldn't sync as they won't play on this iPad. Emailing them doesn't work either. Any ideas? The files are made in either cubase or cakewalk. Mostly they're midi 0, but I've tried format 1 and RIFF formats 1&0 as well.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I don't know about midi files would fill every encyclopedia ever made :))), but - have a look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/38822-simple-midi-file-player.html

It's a discussion about various midi apps. Maybe one of them will work for you? I couldn't tell you if you can sync with iTunes and one of these apps, but I should think that maybe the "Open In..." function might work

Sorry, but that's all I've got. Good luck.

Marilyn

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I heard music apps like Garage Band and Music Studio (paid ver) can read MIDI files.

It might be worth a try. Maybe others can chime in.

msandrin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You import the midi files into the program which will play them.

1. Connect your iPad to your computer.
2. Click on your iPad under DEVICES in the left pane.
3. Click on the Apps column in the right pane.
4. At the bottom, under FILE SHARING iTunes lists the apps which can import files.
5. Click on your midi app.
6. Click on ADD, bottom right.
7. Select the files you'd like to add.
8. Smile

mikeconnectuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You import the midi files into the program which will play them.

1. Connect your iPad to your computer.
2. Click on your iPad under DEVICES in the left pane.
3. Click on the Apps column in the right pane.
4. At the bottom, under FILE SHARING iTunes lists the apps which can import files.
5. Click on your midi app.
6. Click on ADD, bottom right.
7. Select the files you'd like to add.
8. Smile
Hello it's maybe too late t get reply on this I've followed your advice to add a midi file via iTunes . It's added it ok in iTunes and I can see it in the window on pc . But I can't find it in GarageBand . Any ideas where I can find it plz

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello it's maybe too late t get reply on this I've followed your advice to add a midi file via iTunes . It's added it ok in iTunes and I can see it in the window on pc . But I can't find it in GarageBand . Any ideas where I can find it plz

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You've posted in a thread started in 2012 and likely will not receive many responses nor the advice you seek - I would suggest starting a new thread in an appropriate forum - there is one titled 'iPad for Musicians' - good luck! Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts