What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Implementing Ipad in a school district?

northridgelocal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the school district the one big question is... How do we image these? Or is that even possible. We are 100% mac district. We use carbon copy cloaner to image all off our machines.

Because the problem is that we cant get access to Itunes store since its blocked through the ISP. And board policy does not allow teachers an staff to purchase software to use on school equipment.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Hey, I work for a school system as well. Our district however is sadly Windows based.

You will need to have one computer at your location with iTunes installed. Itunes Will only need to go out onto the network to download updated iPad firmware. When the ipad is connected to the computer with itunes performing a restore will wipe the device clean and set it back to factory default.

Another option is to go directly into the ipad settings > General > Reset > Reset all content and Settings. this will securely wipe all data from the ipad but the ipad wont be able to be used until it connected to a computer with itunes installed(no network connection needed).

As for using it in a district setting to apply restriction and auto install configurations/settings you can head over to the apple site and download something called the iPhone Configuration Utility. This is a tool made for enterprises so that they can set up all the settings and everything they want to impliment on the deveice and then all you do is copy the file over to the iphone/iPad.

Apple - Support - iPhone - Enterprise

I wish our district had money to purchase iPads. They just gave all the computer techs a 32% pay cut this year :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
We are using one Mac as the iPad master for syncing and updates, with our own iTunes account, so we pay for everything. But next year, when we go 1:1 with the iPads, we will most likely have students use their own iTunes accounts for purchasing Apps. We might give them an iTunes gift card for the Apps that we require, and then they can pay for whatever else they want on it.

We can image a class set from the master Mac according to a teacher's choices. But all of this maintenance has required the hire of an additional staff member, who comes in the afternoons and evenings, and goes around taking care of power and syncing needs. We've only got about 400 units, and he's already putting in 40 hours a week. So, you can see that maintaining control of the machines, just like laptops/desktops, is going to require a lot of work. And more importantly, Apple didn't design the iPad for multiple users, and they have no intention of changing that; this means the only real 1:1 solution is student sets (i.e., every student carries their own) rather than class sets. Believe me, we have class sets now, and they're a pain. We're pretty set on going with student sets for our 1:1 launch next year.

I have to disagree with the previous post concerning the Configuration Utility: it offers the world, and leaves you with dirt. It really doesn't do much. Management software running in the background is direly needed, but at this point, the limited multi-tasking of the new iOS will not allow for it--believe me, I've been negotiating with vendors who are dying to get a crack at this market. Their products are ready to be tested but the current iOS won't allow for them to run. Some people on this forum have hinted that the RAM on the first iPads is insufficient--don't know. We'll have to wait and see what develops.

Keep fighting for iPads in your district. At my school, we've already seen great benefits over laptops and desktops, despite the troubles of working out the bugs of a new technology.

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of schools are going over to computers instead of books because the computers -can- end up being more cost effective than instruction books for multiple subjects. The problem with the iPad is that it can't run flash so much of the website browsing will be limited to non-flash content. Remember, many, many websites for education are built upon interactive flash based content or video clips; so those sites will effectively be shut down. In addition there is not the equivalent volume of content in apps on iTunes. There also are limitations on file management and on document compatibility with desktop computers since iOS is a different platform than PC or Mac. Just be sure your students can use the device for what you expect them to be able to do before you buy them thinking they will replace a notebook PC. Personally I think Macbook Air would be a better choice for all around student use; at least you can install Flash by downloading it from Adobe after you purchase it from Apple (Flash is not pre-installed).

Reaction score
An update: yes those carts are a wonderful solution for CLASS sets, and my experience leads me to believe that class sets are the way to go for 5th grade and below. However, anything above 6th grade requires 1:1 student sets, nullifying the need for the cart.

Apple finally has the VPP in workable shape (Volume Purchase Plan). The beauty of the VPP is that it separates purchasing from the iTunes account, which means student machines can have iTunes accounts that are not linked to credit cards--great news for schools! This makes management of school purchased Apps a much simpler prospect. Once VPP codes are redeemed, the copy of that App is linked to the iTunes account. As long as students redeem VPP codes through school iTunes accounts, the assets remain in school control, and we can save students money by purchasing in volume. Of course, any discount is dependent upon the App developers, but it's a start.

BTW, it seems Apple is beginning to respond to corporate users--we just used the iPad2's mirroring capacity to do an open house at our school today. The advantage over document cameras for the iPad1 was immediately appreciated. Many of this forums' followers are individual users and can't quite appreciate how screen mirroring for teachers is a well-loved improvement. Yeah, it's nice for Netflix, but the real utility has to do with demonstrating iPad usage to a group audience.

Most reactions

Latest posts