What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imovie question

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I buy iMovie for my iPhone, iPod touch and iPad? Or do I have to buy different versions for each?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is a universal app, so you can buy it once and use it on your iPad 2 and iPhone 4, and latest iPod Touch. It might work on older iPhones, I'm not sure. It isn't approved/made for the older devices, though it can be tricked into working on the iPad 1.

Here is a link on how to do that.
Install iMovie on a 1st-generation iPad

And there is a thread in the forum somewhere, might turn up in a search. I believe they discuss a way to get around the annoying reminders and error messages mentioned in the article I linked to.

Last edited:
OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.
I have an iPod 2g and 4g, iPhone 3GS and iPad 2. The 15 hour lime wait was worth it for sure. :)

Broken Nose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey. I just made my first video with iMovie, and I'd like to email it to some relatives. I don't want to upload to YouTube or Facebook or nothing like that bc the pics r private. The file size is too large to email. Is there any way around this? I've searched so many forums and cannot get an answer. Thanks!

Reaction score
Broken Nose said:
Hey. I just made my first video with iMovie, and I'd like to email it to some relatives. I don't want to upload to YouTube or Facebook or nothing like that bc the pics r private. The file size is too large to email. Is there any way around this? I've searched so many forums and cannot get an answer. Thanks!

You will have to upload it to some webhoster, such as Skydrive.

iSMEstorage let's you upload your data to many popular cloud services.

But perhaps someone else knows of a free app to do the same task.

Broken Nose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Theres gotta be a way to get the movie I made into my iTunes, then compress and email it.... ????.?

OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it not show up in the iPad/iPhone/iPod drive when you connect it to your computer?

Broken Nose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it does not. I'm jumping through hoops here. I want to be able to share videos i'm making on my ipad with family, but I don't want Internet creeps looking at my personal videos. This is what I did to get around it....

Created a YouTube page and uploaded the videos
Set settings to private
Created another YouTube page for family to share
Through my account, I allow just that family YouTube account to be able to access videos
Now I can tell my Family that if they want to watch family videos, they just need to login to the family YouTube account.

Is this so backwards? I just think it's weird that people post private videos of their kids on the Internet.

Broken Nose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, this is such a flaw. I just want to be able to send a video (of reasonable length) via email. Gotta be a way... Help

Reaction score
How did you try to email the video?

What I found is that the following procedure will convert the movie to fit an email:

-in iMovie export to CameraRoll
-open Camera
-open your movie
-hit the arrow button and export to email

In my sample movie, the size went from originally 150MB to 3.5MB and could thus be send via email. Needless to say that the quality was very low. But the problem persists that if the movie is longer than 1minute, it cannot be send via email.

Your YouTube option is the best way to go. If you wanted to share the movie with friends, upload the movie as unlisted and just send everyone, you would like to see the movie a link.

Last edited:

Most reactions