What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMessage

cdaamn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If send an iMessage from my iPad to an iPhone, and the iPhone isn't connected via 3g or WiFi. Will the message be recieved as a text or will it wait for the phone to be connected to WiFi/3g

Thanks

City

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will have to wait till you get into a Wifi zone.

OP
cdaamn

cdaamn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about iPhone to iPhone? If it sends as iMessage on one will the other recieve as a text?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What about iPhone to iPhone? If it sends as iMessage on one will the other recieve as a text?

Yes, if the other phone has iOS 5.x, they will receive your iMessage as a text. If they don't have iOS 5 (or have iMessage turned off), then they'll receive your text as a regular text through their carrier. The phone only has one testing app, so all texts go through it, whether they are "regular" texts or iMessages.

Marilyn

adyhooper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This messaging service is available only for the iPhone. If we have an iPhone then can talk with other iPhone user by use of 3G or Wi-Fi. This iMessages are totally cost free only for iOS 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This messaging service is available only for the iPhone. If we have an iPhone then can talk with other iPhone user by use of 3G or Wi-Fi. This iMessages are totally cost free only for iOS 5.

iMessage works perfectly well on ANY IOS 5 (or IOS6) enabled device including iPad, and iPod Touch, as well as the iPhone. It is also included in the latest OSX Mountain Lion so you can also iMessage to your Mac.

The point of it is that it allows communication between Apple devices, not just the iPhone! :)

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes i have been using the beta on my macbook pro and ipad2 for some time now and my 4s of course.

Goavs18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I thought a text was sent to a phone# (which will show as Green Bubble) and an Imessage was sent to an email address (which will show up as a blue bubble)? but both will show on and an Iphone and only Imessages will show up on and Ipad. inorder for the IPhone to receive imessage it has to be turned on otherwise it will be received as a text.

adyhooper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iMessage works perfectly well on ANY IOS 5 (or IOS6) enabled device including iPad, and iPod Touch, as well as the iPhone. It is also included in the latest OSX Mountain Lion so you can also iMessage to your Mac.

The point of it is that it allows communication between Apple devices, not just the iPhone! :)

Yes, you are right. iMessage allow to communication between the Apple device that allow us to transfer photos, video, text, contact info, group messenger over the Wi-Fi or 3G. iMessages are permeable by the message application on the all Apple devices.

jamiek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If u iMessage someone abroad who has iPhone do u get charged

ethansamuel17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hbipadlabs.com
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]iMessageis not an iChat alternative and iPad is not a Mac laptopalternative. iMessage was presented with iOS5 and it has it'srestrictions, but it's better than the NO sms information of iPadformerly. To be sincere, I iMessage with my associate when Iknow he's on his iPad. Otherwise, for all sms information, Iuse my iPhone. It can written text to a variety, whereas iPadcan not. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Sorry,it is what it is. I believe I study that with iOS6 we'll seemore text texting versatility, for now this is what we have.[/FONT]

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y said:
No iMessage is a free service.

You will, if you use iMessage while connected to the Internet through 3G/4G, consume part of your monthly data allowance. If you are connected to the Internet through wifi, there is no usage of your cellular data plan allowance.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will, if you use iMessage while connected to the Internet through 3G/4G, consume part of your monthly data allowance. If you are connected to the Internet through wifi, there is no usage of your cellular data plan allowance.

Like every other app which uses data. The fact remains, iMessage IS a free service.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Like every other app which uses data. The fact remains, iMessage IS a free service.

I'm not disagreeing with you about that, I just pointed out the data cost of using it over a cellular connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts