What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMac+iPad vs Macbook Pro

iperson21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey guys, im going into 9th grade, and im going to a high school based on science, technology, mathmatics, and engineering.
and my dad's gift for me for getting into this high school was $2000 to spend on whatever i want
*i currently have a Dell XPS M1330, 120gb hd, which is full and i constantly have to delete stuff to make room for my ever-increasing iTunes library.
so i was wondering, would it be better to get an iMac+iPad with remote desktop running from a dell mini hackintosh, or a 1700 macbook pro?
other notes: i have a 14" monitor with a usb hub and dvi+vga input.
i do alot of word composing, and i will probably have to run windows also.
at the school, they give you a laptop to use but im pretty sure you dont get to take it home.
the dell mini, well i dont know the specs but i can leave it running in my room 24/7 if needed, and have it so the computer does nothing when i close it.
if i want an iMac, i don't want a 27" one, i dont need that kind of screen.
the lowest end 21.5" iMac with no upgrades is more than enough
i have 15+ GB in media, and maybe 2 gb in pics.
i am also getting an iPod Touch 32gb, but i plan on waiting for a camera (facetime hopefully also)
i also don't mind spending 30$ on apps to make the iPad better.
-i also have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard for my laptop.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems like there are a lot of people cutting out the middle man and going with a desktop + iPad. I'd go with the iMac + iPad over a macbook pro.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see nothng wrong with your choice of the iMac + iPad. You can get into debates about various alternative components, but that is a very powerful combo which will serve you well.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the desktop combo, especially the iMac is a good choice with the iPad. People usually ask if an iPad is a good choice instead of a notebook or desktop. I always reccomend that someone needs a computer, then get an iPad to complete the package, because it's a wonderful addition but for practical purposes such as school or work, you still need a full on computer. Having both is just right :)

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see the point in spending money on ANOTHER laptop. Just get an external hard drive. I saw a 1TB on slickdeals.net for like 69 bucks. Spend the money on the iPad, and then spend the rest on something you can actually use or need.

oceanside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have all 3. Now, with that said - I am a Graduate student & I bring the iPad to class w/me. The iMac is my main workhorse when @ home. The MBP hardly leaves its case since I got the iPad. Trust me - go w/ the iMac & iPad! It's a winning combo!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Here is what I would do.

Buy a Mac Mini $799
Buy a second monitor to go with your current one to have dual monitors.$200-$300
Buy a 32Gig iPad 3G $729
Buy a 1TB external Hard Drive $69 (this can double as an external storage as well as mac mini backup via time machine)

I have a mac mini setup at my house with two 22" monitors and love it.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are numerous combination that could work, but since specific units were mention, I would stick with the iMac and iPad. I have both an iMac and MacBook. I find each with a use and limit. The iMac is where you put all your accessories and backups. MacBooks are good for road warriors who live in motels. It does the same as the iMac, just more portable.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends if you need the portability of a Laptop. If the iPad will cover your portable needs then go iMac and iPad. But if you need the portability in a Macbook then get it and the iPad.

OP
I

iperson21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm.. nobody has said anything about running remote desktop from a hackintosh.
whadya guys think?
or i could run remote desktop iMac->iPad, which makes the hackintosh basically useless...
any ideas?

Most reactions