What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm not updating to 4.2.....

iFreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jacked with this thing for over 3 hours tonight trying to update my daughter's ipad. No sir, after all the issues I'm having, I refuse to update it now. I keep getting hung at about 1/4 way through the backup phase. I've googled this issue and I know I'm not the only one having issues. I've tried remedies to no avail, now I just give up. It works fine as it is. It's a shame, too. Being an avid Mac owner/user, I'm really disappointed in their mobile devices and the way Apple is handling them. I prefer my Android phone over my old iPhone any day of the week, but LOVE my Mac and Macbook. Really disappointed. I appreciate your letting me rant. Hopefully they will get this fixed and introduce a more effective and reliable way to distribute updates in the future. Until then.....

MJ5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe you have some conflicting apps on it? I bought an iPad last week, brought it home and loaded some apps, then updated to 4.2 with no problems.

-Mike

slim gravy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When that happened tp my iPhone, it was the cord... How is yours at the ends, is the coating all pulled out ? New cord and iPhone updated like butter.

OP
I

iFreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am a little less irritated now. I just needed to vent, lol. The cord appears to be fine, but I have others I can try if I decide to attempt it again. I, too, suspect an app or corrupted file....only issue is finding it. Sigh, I'm gonna give it a rest for now but continue my research on it. Maybe at some point, I'll try again. Thanks again for the replies.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it's "hanging" at the backup phase, it just takes a really long time. I had a backup take a full 24 hours when I did it. It appeared to be frozen too, but it wasn't really.

Ladyagaaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is always a pain to update the os of idevices.
I love idevices but I hate using itunes.
I have been using Creative Zen players for years .it is so easy to transfer music/videos from pc to the player. Just drag and drop.
Now I'm still downloading os 4.2. keep my fingers crossed, there is no time out error or I have to start from square 1.

Brucew0617

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember my iPod can't access to the ios because I updated Cydia. So I had to upgraded to ios 4.2, and then downgrade to ios 4.1, jailbroken again.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The backup process in iTunes is massively inefficient and buggy. I can copy video files of several gigs in a few minutes but a simple backup has taken as much as 12 hours for me. Apple can blame the Apps, but if they cant copy a file because it contains odd characters it is the fault of their flawed "file system" design.

If you have the time just let the process run for a day or so and it will probably finish. But make sure the computer USB is charging the iPad. I've read horror stories of bricked iPads because the update failed to finish when the battery died.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to uninstall iTune, and reinstall it. Quite few had ther problems pineda to problem with that.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backup is probably the biggest probel the iPad has. Visit the Apple support forums and you'll find a ton of posts about the problem.

I used to have multi-hour backups. Then I noticed that I was using my iPod touch cable. I switched to the iPad cable (the connector is twice as big) and the problem went away.

You can also click the small X in the progress window during the backup phase of the synch and it will stop the backup and let you get on with the process. Just make sure you have everything you want off of the iPad before you do the upgrade.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine took 24 hours to update. It looked like it was hung but I let it go. Just let it run and you will be fine.

06Honda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am still on the 3.2.1 Ver and plan to stay with this for now, works fine and no real improvements needed to meet my needs.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folders in 4.2.1 are nice, multitasking (sort of) is nice, too.
But I still may go back to 3.2.
I didn't really miss a lot with 3.2, airprint doesn't work properly because I don't have a hp printer and won't by one just because of apple playing marketing for hp. Well, airprint was the main reason to upgrade and it worked with all the betas on my printer, and now I cannot get it to work.
But I miss my hardware screen-lock.

slim gravy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have no issues what so ever with 421.
back ups are fast
wifi is great...
operates very snappy.

Most reactions