What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IIOS 6 - lots of issues

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just updated to IOS 6 and am having nothing but problems. The update went fine, rebooted my iPad 3 and then the problems started. When I restart the iPad each time I am presented with the grey IOS 6 screen. I slide to login and I am then taken to a Wi-Fi page showing my Wi-Fi options. I tap the blue highlighted box 'Next' and am then presented with a pop up box to continue with or without Wi-Fi. I request to use Wi-Fi only for the pop up to keep appearing. I cannot proceed unless I tap 'Continue without Wi-Fi. Also there is no Siri in my general Settings, amongst a whole host of other issues. I am beginning to wish I had never upgraded. Certainly not a smooth road so far. I would like to revert to the older OS, at least that worked without having to jump through hoops each time I boot up. Please help somebody. Thanks.

T
Please help someone

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again,

Still jumping through hoops but Siri has mysteriously appeared where it should be in General settings. Can't find the other new features though, flyover etc.

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you may need to do a fresh install of iOS6 on your iPad, seen the amount of issues you have.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

If you already had wifi set up just click continue to get to the next menu. You don't need to re-enter any info.

Mine is working just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

rjreynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad third-generation, And I had absolutely no problems at all with my upgrade. Wi-Fi worked perfectly. It did ask me to reenter my password however.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The update went smoothly here. But jeez, Maps is turbo-sucky. In addition to being slow, low-res, and feature-poor, it's buggy. Sometimes, seemingly at random, it's impossible to delete a pin or its listing in Recents. Also, Home wanders around a bit.

Maybe it's just me, but the four-finger gestures seem difficult to accomplish. They often simply fail, but sometimes are interpreted as Zoom commands. Guess I'ii have to disable three-finger-tap.

Oh, one more thing(tm)...I had some trouble editing this post in the IPF app, and had to kill it and start over. When I tried to place the cursor to insert text, it jumped to the beginning of the post and wouldn't budge. Typing resulting in new text ON TOP OF the existing text! Amusing, but not very productive.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Last edited:

ogilley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maps is indeed terrible. No features and no accuracy at this point. Hope this gets better.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

rjreynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LannyC said:
The update went smoothly here. But jeez, Maps is turbo-sucky. In addition to being slow, low-res, and feature-poor, it's buggy. Sometimes, seemingly at random, it's impossible to delete a pin or its listing in Recents. Also, Home wanders around a bit.

Maybe it's just me, but the four-finger gestures seem difficult to accomplish. They often simply fail, but sometimes are interpreted as Zoom commands. Guess I'ii have to disable three-finger-tap.

Oh, one more thing(tm)...I had some trouble editing this post in the IPF app, and had to kill it and start over. When I tried to place the cursor to insert text, it jumped to the beginning of the post and wouldn't budge. Typing resulting in new text ON TOP OF the existing text! Amusing, but not very productive.

When you say slow and and low rez, i must t say that i have disagree. Maybe it looks slightly different than google maps , but I would certainly not call it low res. i find maps to be responsive to the touch. I was able to remove pins from recent without a problem by hitting the clear button in the upper left hand corner of the recent dialog box. As far as the 4 finger swipe, i find that it works much better with a 5 finger motion straight up. As far as editing this post through the app, i had the same problem as you state the first time, but during this post, i have been able to move and place the cursor wherever i want. Maps nor ios 6 is perfect. I think it needs some improvements and added features which i suspect will come in time through updates.

Good luck...

dunbarhamlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Urgh. Have stupidly just installed. The intermittent and oft misinterpreted gestures are the killer for me. Had already decided next tablet would not be apple because of proprietarial restrictiveness, but if this is how handle their alpha testing, I'll stick with Microsoft - at least they do some testing first.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
'Low-res' in several respects: in many places, the new maps don't zoom in as closely before pixelating, like Google was circa 5 years ago; also, some streets are simply missing, and many buildings/places are not labeled as in Google Maps. Search is completely unreliable. Earlier this morning, I searched for Smith Point, TX (MapQuest found it across Galveston Bay from Houston). The new Maps app gave me two pins for Ivan Smith Furniture, near Dallas. It would be funny, if it weren't so pathetic.

Yikes! I can edit this post, but the IPF app won't ungray the Send button for a new reply. Anyway, I did find an unexpected improvement: opening the Camera Roll jumps to the last image now, which is usually the one I want.

Last edited:

Deebo33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, Maps is exactly what I expected it to be considering its Apple's first attempt at a map app that competes with Google Maps. It's brand spanking new so I don't expect top notch performance out of the gate. I'm sure it'll get better with time.

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the Map app is worse than before. There are no rails in Helsinki Railway station, for example. One Norwegian town is in the middle of the North Sea... There are others surely.

Most reactions

Latest posts