What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icon support issues

musicman61554

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I have a new iPad and everything has been great since I JB it. I have infinite folders and gridlock installed and icon support is installed with it. An update for icon support notified me in cydia so I updated. When I did that it resprung and my iPad acted weird (icons smaller, dock disappeared, keyboard looked like it was on an iPhone). So I uninstalled icon support (and sadly infinite folders and gridlock require that so they were uninstalled too) and everything is normal now. So what in the world is causing this? I really like having no limit to folders and placing my folders wherever I want. Just curious if anyone else is having this issue. Thanks guys

okkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also installed the update on my iPhone4s, and after respring I had also strange problems. Some apps wouldn't open at all (for example Facebook) and my iPhone started to respring all the time. On my case the solution was to uninstall iconsupport (which also uninstalled FolderEnhancer and Infinidock, buhuu....) and afterwards installed earlier version of iconsupport.

Now my phone works as it did before update, hope the dev can fix this issue so I can update iconsupport on my phone and iPad2.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may recommend - try installing the tweak again. I've got Icon Support running fine on my iPad3. There was just a recent update that fixed a previous update. Rather than me typing it all out, see this picture:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343818995.298235.jpg

I don't know when this update came out, but again, my iPad is running fine. So, try again?

Good luck and please, do let us know how the both of you get on.

Marilyn

okkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn, that was just the update I installed which messed up my phone. Naturally I tried installing it again but didn't help me.

As I was searching for the solution I discovered that not very many people have this problem but after update everything works fine with most of the people. Maybe we who ran this update and are facing issues have some conflicting tweak installed, I don't know.

Thanks Marilyn for the tip anyway, hope it helps with others who have this issue!

OP
musicman61554

musicman61554

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, thanks Marilyn. I too uninstalled then reinstalled and still had the issue. Its def weird. It was the newest update that did it. When I had 1.7.6.1 it worked fine. Hopefully it all works out. I know some Ipads react differently to programs. The list on the Ultimate Jailbreak is great but some of the ones that should work on the new ipad and 5.1.1 don't for me. These things are picky sometimes. Good stuff!!!!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IconSupport is a fairly fundamental component of many tweaks (anything which changes the springboard will use it). It is unlikely to be the culprit here. Almost everyone who has a jailbreak will have updated this component recently. I have done so on all of my devices and nobody is reporting widespread problems.

It is much more likely that you have another tweak on there which is either designed for iPhone or not compatible with 5.1.1 It's happens often that folks forget what they have recently installed or updated, and fixate on the wrong component for a problem, only later to find it was something else.

I would suggest trying to turn off your tweaks one by one using SBSettings > More > Mobile Substrate Addons. Eventually you should fine the culprit. Alternatively you can remove them from Cydia.

OP
musicman61554

musicman61554

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I understand f4780y, everything worked great until I updated icon support. I don't have too much installed. Really just gridlock and infinite folders. As soon as I updated it went wacky. I know that installing 1.7.6.1 version works fine. So something is up.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I understand f4780y, everything worked great until I updated icon support. I don't have too much installed. Really just gridlock and infinite folders. As soon as I updated it went wacky. I know that installing 1.7.6.1 version works fine. So something is up.

What versions of those two tweaks do you have installed?

Also worth noting IconSupport has been updated again.

Last edited:
OP
musicman61554

musicman61554

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the newest versions. Thanks for letting me know they updated icon support. I will see if that works.

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have just installed the update for icon support on all my devices (ipad-2, 4s iphone and ipod touch) ... i do not encounter any problem to any of the device afterward .. i opened some of the apps that were mentioned here and they all working fine ..

okkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, updated to latest version (1.7.7-1) of IconSupport, no issues with this one. Everything is working fine.

OP
musicman61554

musicman61554

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright I updated a few programs tonight. Bttack and springtomize, and my screen turned into an iPhone screen again. So I uninstalled those updates and it was still doing it, so I figured WTH and uninstalled iconsupport and that worked. I do not understand this. It's so weird, I know a lot of people are not having this issue its just strange that whenever I uninstall that program that has been giving me issues it works. Very weird, it was working great until I did those updates.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on my experience, I am convinced the issue is NOT iconsupport. It is another tweak you have installed OR a fundamental part of your jailbreak is corrupted.

It stops doing it when you remove icon support because without icon support no other tweak can alter icons on the springboard, so they can only revert to normal.

It's like the early days of the iPad jailbreak when folks that used to say "I keep going into safe mode, so I removed mobile substrate and that resolved it". No, it didn't. Mobile substrate includes safe mode. Without it installed, safe mode just didn't exist on the device any more.

Any time your icons on the iPad look like an iPhone it means you are running a tweak which is either not designed for the iPad, not designed for the version of IOS your are running, or cracked / pirated. There is rarely any other reason. And I'll say it again, IconSupport is NOT the problem. It is whatever tweak is incorrectly using IconSupport and causing it to crash.

I would strongly suggest that because you are having such fundamental problems with this, that you restore and re-jailbreak. Then carefully put your tweaks and apps back on one by one to find the culprit. Fully reboot after each one to check whether it crashes IconSupport.

Last edited:
OP
musicman61554

musicman61554

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks f4780y, it sucks but what you said makes sense. I'm sure I will figure it out.

Most reactions

Latest posts