What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud backup problem

planky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having some problems with backing up to iCloud from my iPad. When I first installed iOS5 today and setup iCloud, I used my iTunes account sign in. It synced with iCloud and performed a backup properly.

Unfortunately I then realised that I should be using my old MobileMe account, which I successfully copied across to iCloud and setup on my iPhone. I went in and deleted my iTunes account details from the iCloud settings, and entered in the new account details. This seemed to verify correctly, and I am able to view contacts, calendars etc. stored on iCloud and save documents to iCloud from goodreader.

However when I try to switch on iCloud backup, it displays the error message 'There was a problem enabling iCloud backup'. I have tried multiple times over a number of hours, and on several different wireless networks to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Thanks, Pete

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
iCloud Backup

Managed to install iOS 5 but the iCloud backup will not connect it keeps saying iCloud backup failed try again later....... anyone else got this message and have you found a solution. Or maybe the sever is overloaded?????

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Fluidz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here.. And it failed to sync while initially setting up my ipad 2.

aseymour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems to be the same problem many of us are having. Assuming it will be cleared up and also all the people who blew up devices upgrading to the new IOS. I have the Icloud backup error message as well. Perhaps the servers are stressed

Last edited:

petchee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to this Forum lark, I've successfully installed the Ios5' on IPad 2 an hour or so ago and have the same trouble with
backing up to the cloud, not that I've managed to find it yet, I presume there must be a bit of a log jam due to the new OS,
will probably be back later for help finding the cloud.

thanks Pete

petchee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further to my previous post, I found that the settings under summary in iTunes may have to be set to back up to icloud, I tried it and although the iPad said that it had failed, the summary then thinks you have
backed up.
Under the settings/icloud-Backup it states "when this iPad is plugged in, Locked and connected to WiFi" what is meant by Locked, is this causing the backup failures?

Anyone?

Pete

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI,
Is anyone worried about the security or stability of iCloud for backup purposes? What happens if something happens to the iCloud servers? Do they backup the iCloud to perhaps the iUniverse???

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Managed to install iOS 5 but the iCloud backup will not connect it keeps saying iCloud backup failed try again later.....

Well, I've not yet upgraded to iOS 5 on my iPad2 nor of course signed up for iCloud - waiting until next week to let Apple sort of 'recover'! But there have already been numerous threads posting about the same issue you described - most feel that server overload is the culprit - hopefully as the days past this will resolve - good luck! :)

c230k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have the same problem,maybe time will fix it.
I can not verify icloud account. On Ipad settings under icloud said check your email for instructions to verify this accoung.Account not verified. Never received email to verify. Tried my Apple account and it would not verify either. Need to retreve backup. I also lost all of my apps and though icloud backup would fix the problem.
Any ideas
Thanks
Tom​

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
HI,
Is anyone worried about the security or stability of iCloud for backup purposes? What happens if something happens to the iCloud servers? Do they backup the iCloud to perhaps the iUniverse???

Cloud technology has and will become a dominant feature of using the internet, and security is and will always be an issue for those using its various services, whether the new iCloud or for other reasons (e.g. banking, apps, file storage, credit cards, etc.) - can we all trust the 'angels up in the clouds' - I believe this is a concern for all using this technology in the sky - hope that stability, access, and security is maintained - :)

aseymour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm assuming "locked" means a password is setup and access to the devive is locked. Also seems to be a lot of confusion about plugged into what...just power...or does it still have to be connected to a laptop for cloud backup and sync

Last edited:

aseymour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So true...I would hope no one would put anything in the cloud they do not want the entire world to see...just assume it can happen or that it can all be lost

bodge46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having same problem, won't connect to I Cloud for backup. My question is "Is there any way to still use the Ipad 2 while this problem exists?" When I try to back out thru start over it says it will erase IPad settings. Don't know if this means a total start over for IOS 5 or just the cloud set up portion. Don't want to do a total reinstall.

beechjetdriver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Whenever I try to enable iCloud, I get the "There was a problem enabling iCloud backup". Hope Apple will remedy this soon; I was looking forward to storing my backups in the cloud.

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem even though I did get the confirmation email from apple that I had set up iCloud
Other threads suggest going into settings or back to ITunes but that does not work either
Frustrating

Most reactions