What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCab - what is it how do I use it?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
As the title implies, what is it and how is it used and what can it do for me?

The app store description is almost non existant and says nothing, and I can find any instructions for it. The web in general isnt much help either.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
But how is it used?

As soon as I open the app it asks me for 'server' , 'user name' and 'pass word'

What's that all about? As I say, I can't find any instructions how to use it.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
But how is it used?

As soon as I open the app it asks me for 'server' , 'user name' and 'pass word'

What's that all about? As I say, I can't find any instructions how to use it.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same product... iCabMobile is just a web browser and when you open it, it should resemble Safari... If it does not, then either it is not iCabMobile or it is in some sort of setup screen. Try force-closing it and restarting it and see what you get...

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Not icab mobile , but icab hd. A remote desktop app.

Aye, sorry guys, crossed wires :)

So, icab hd. What's that all about then?

I just checked it out - not sure what it's all about... As you said, don't understand why you need an https server to begin with. I certainly couldn't get it to connect to anything. Oh well, just be happy it was free and remove it I guess...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It says it uses RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol). This is a feature of Windows XP and later. I bet it wants the windows domain server. I've only used RDP (quite a while ago) in an enterprise network.

I suppose it might work for a computer on a local network, if the computer has RDP enabled. You could make sure it's enable on your machine and then enter the computer's local IP address, and your user logon for the computer.

Sanho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCab does not work on my iPad

I installed iCabMobile 3 days ago from App Store on my iPad and tried to setup both Safari and iCab setting (put browser ID: standard). But still does not work with internet video such as webinars, presentation, .. that use flash. I also got a message ask to install Adobe 10. What am I missing? Please help.
Thanks
Sanho

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I installed iCabMobile 3 days ago from App Store on my iPad and tried to setup both Safari and iCab setting (put browser ID: standard). But still does not work with internet video such as webinars, presentation, .. that use flash. I also got a message ask to install Adobe 10. What am I missing? Please help.
Thanks
Sanho

I think you may be confused - iCab Mobile does not enable you to play flash content. It enables you to fool the website into thinking you are using a desktop browser, so that you will get the "full" version of sites, but it cannot magically provide flash support on your iPad device.

Hope this helps.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In spite of its inability to play Flash content (at present), iCab Mobile is an outstanding browser well worth spending time with. I don't know what Alexander is charging for it these days; but, whatever it is, it has been worth *many* times more than that to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In spite of its inability to play Flash content (at present), iCab Mobile is an outstanding browser well worth spending time with. I don't know what Alexander is charging for it these days; but, whatever it is, it has been worth *many* times more than that to me.

$1.99 is the price I just paid.
Thank y'all for this thread. I havent tried uploading my PDF files to anything yet but if nothing else it's a real nice looking browser and seems well thought out in it's design and layout, well worth the price paid
I can still use Puffin for Flash but hopefully this one can handle Taleo websites, unlike every other browser I've tried.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
nice to see the topic totally changed :) ok, talking about browsers.....

safari mobile - love it, really do, but it hasnt got tabs.
Terra - great ui, beautiful app, and with tabs, but no favs list on screen. and wont any time soon.
Puffin - was ok, run of the mill, but didnt like the Flash sites i visit (ie, the BBC home page).
icab mobile:skyfiler:iswifter - yey to try, but look similar to what i use now -

Atomic Web
- blimmin awesome and very fast. no flash, but then im not expecting any browser to deliver that to be honest.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
nice to see the topic totally changed :) ok, talking about browsers.....

safari mobile - love it, really do, but it hasnt got tabs.
Terra - great ui, beautiful app, and with tabs, but no favs list on screen. and wont any time soon.
Puffin - was ok, run of the mill, but didnt like the Flash sites i visit (ie, the BBC home page).
icab mobile:skyfiler:iswifter - yey to try, but look similar to what i use now -

Atomic Web - blimmin awesome and very fast. no flash, but then im not expecting any browser to deliver that to be honest.

iSwifter
Mercury Pro

I had an issue with not being able to see an audio player (flash content) on a favourite blog in Safari and was advised to use iSwifter. It solved the problem of the player. However I see the problem between flash and iPad more clearly now: iSwifter is pretty unuseable for most browsing - it was a complete wrestling match with iPad Forums, for instance (btw, I've now got the ipad forum app which works a treat!).

I also put Mercury Pro on yesterday. So far I'm liking this more than Safari. It has tabs. It has a tile page for most used websites. It has more functions at hand than Safari. I especially like the small icon that floats in the bottom right corner that releases a wheel of destiny! (unfortunately not available on the free version).

I'll try Atomic Web too. Sounds good.

Last edited:

Most reactions