What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks has built-in jailbreak-protection

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I read this today, at first I couldn't believe it, but when I checked it, I found the info to be true.

On jailbroken devices, iBooks will throw an error and tell you to reset your iPad if you try to open an eBook for reading.
The background is that iBooks will try to load an unsigned app. If this works, it know that your iOS-device is jailbroken.
Now... if Apple does this with other apps as well, i.e. Calendard, Safari, etc., we're really in for some problems.

Interestingly, I found that this only seems to occur if you try to open an eBook that was purchased from Apple's bookstore.
Third party eBooks downloaded to the iPad via iTunes will still open just fine.
As I have 90% eBooks from external sources (legally acquired, mostly ePub), I'm not really affected by this right now. I'll simply stop buying eBooks through Apple.

Could someone try to verify this?

I wonder why this happens. Any ideas somebody?

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, it's there. You get a message that you need to restore. I don't buy books from iTunes, but the one that came with it, Winnie the Pooh, no longer opens. I'll live with it, but it shows that Apple can shut down a jb'd device any time they want to.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, it's there. You get a message that you need to restore. I don't buy books from iTunes, but the one that came with it, Winnie the Pooh, no longer opens. I'll live with it, but it shows that Apple can shut down a jb'd device any time they want to.

It still does this on latest jailbreak. Only with the winnie pooh book ive seen so far. I have like 10 books, free ones, from their bookstore. Those still open n wrk fine.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

True... but thank goodness we jave a JB Developer Community that likes a challenge and solves issues like this.

Bob Maxey

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score

True... but thank goodness we jave a JB Developer Community that likes a challenge and solves issues like this.

Bob Maxey
Yep, and I installed the fix as well and got Pooh back myself. Happiness returns.:)

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank god I dont have books like those, only from external source, epubs.
But just for testing, never read a page ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts