What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks a battery hog?

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't find if this has been covered before but I've been noticing that my iBooks app seems to be a little piggy when it comes to battery usage. With. O other apps open I've been Using 15-20% an hour using just the iBooks app. Today I pulled my iPad off of charge and it was 100% and after just about an hour and a half of reading I was already down to 74%. Normally I average a normal 10% an hour web browsing and playing some light games but this is nuts. I typically average 1% every 6 minutes but while having iBooks open it drains at a rate of about 1% every 2.5-3.5 minutes. Is there any way to fix this or a different app to use? I've tried turning brightness down and everything I can think of.

This is on an iPad 2 32gb that I've had for less than 2 months. Also I do a deep cycle charge (drain it to below 5% then let it charge back up uninterrupted) every couple weeks or so. I have never had any problems except for this.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
What iOS are you running, I think iOS 5 is naturally heavy on battery, which is the reason for the soon to be available 5.01.

Other than that I can't think why it would drain your battery so much? Mine certainly doesn burn it that fast.....but i'm on 4.3.3

OP
jawa6306

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm running iOS 5.0 but it still burned through the battery unnaturally fast on 4.3.3. For example I have been surfing the net/forums/YouTube for 1hr and 45min and my battery has gone from 100% to 86% which is actually pretty good since the average up time is usually 10%/hr. I just notice on iBooks it eats up a lot more battery than what would be expected (even more so compared to what I've been getting) I love the app, hate the power consumption.

OP
jawa6306

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated to 5.0.1 just now... Will see how it does. I love the fact that I don't have to plug it into a computer. That just makes my day. :)

apleschu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am on 5.0.1 and disconnected my iPad 2 (WiFi) at 8AM now it's 7PM and I have been using it quite a while for reading, surfing, playing music, and I'd say the screen was n for about 20%-30% of the time during the day, if not more. Now as I write this the battery is at 48%.

If you have a 3G iPad the numbers may be different, 3G many times uses more energy than WiFi.

Most reactions

Latest posts