What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ibook reader update deleted half of the books

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My wife's ipad 2 had an ibook app update a few days ago. After it updated she noticed all her pdf files were gone and half of her books. What happened? Big job to get them all back now. Did anyone else have this problem?

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So my wife wanted to move some books around to new folders. How do you make a new folder? My wife hates the new look as well

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tap "Collections" (1), then "+New Collection" (2): image-593900229.jpg Now write the name of the new folder, then tap "Done" (2 possibilities): image-2479870269.jpg

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know what to do to get the pdf files back but to go back to the place you got them.

Also as for the purchased books you can always download them back in the purchased list found on the collections section.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I quit putting my PDF into iBooks because, last I tried, iBooks would not back them up and the only way to get them out is to email them to yourself.

Now, if you bought any books from apple, you can redownload those. But I quit buying books from apple because you can only read them on an idevice. If you buy from amazon, you can read your stuff just about on any device. I love my iPads, but I don't love being locked in.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tap "Collections" (1), then "+New Collection" (2): View attachment 50285 Now write the name of the new folder, then tap "Done" (2 possibilities): View attachment 50286

Yes,this is what I have been trying to do but, for some reason when I hit "Collections" and then scroll down and tap "+New Collection" nothing happens. The "+New Collection" disappears and the keyboard does not pop up.
Also, when I scroll down to "+New Collection" it is at the very very bottom of the drop down menu. I mean at the very bottom. Between the last book collection name and the "+New Collection" tab there are 28 empty slots.
I'm lost
Thank you

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What happens when you tap "Edit" instead of "+ New Collection"? Is there a possibility to delete the blank slots?
Did you add new collections on another Apple device?

Last edited:
OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes I could delete the blank slots using your method.
It's going to take quite a while because when I delete one slot the ibooks app closed and goes back to the desktop. But I will continue deleting
And, no, I don't have another device with new collections
Thank you

I deleted approx 10 slots (or I thought I did) but there are still 28 empty slots
I guess something is wrong here

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try the usual fixes, if something isn't behaving as it should:
Restart, reset and force close apps. Perhaps one of these will help.

Just in case you don't know the procedures (sorry, if you already know what to do):
Restart: turn off your device, wait for a few minutes, then turn it on again.
Reset: press and hold both Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then release both and let the iPad start on it's own.
Force close apps: double tap Home button to reveal multitask bar. Then swipe thumbnails above app icons towards the top of the screen.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh man, That didn't do it either. Still reacting the same way.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Delete the app and install it again. The PDFs are already gone, it can only get better.
If this doesn't help, I have no idea what else you could do, except send feedback to Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html
I saw there are other iPad users with an iBooks app problem as well, some of them similar to yours.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing. If I did that would I loose all my books and all my Collections?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't lose the books. They 'll stay in your iBooks Store - Purchased tab, if you don't find them in your library afterwards. It's possible that the collections you added disappear, but I can't tell you for sure.

Edit: I deleted and reinstalled the app, and was asked if I want to sync it. I accepted. My collections are there again.

Last edited:
OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can I backup my books on icloud? I checked my icloud account and it doesn't have my books on there for backup. If I can put them on cloud - how do I go about doing that.
And by the way - I really appreciate you staying with me on this and helping me along. I thank you and my wife thanks you

Most reactions

Latest posts