What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I works pages Save with password

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, is there any way to save a document with a password if created on the ipad. Had a look around the software but unable to find an option.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not directly on the iPad using iWorks, but you could save it to iDisk or iCloud and then it would be password protected. You'd have to download it when you wanted to access it and replace it when you'd finished (remembering to delete it from the iPad). There are also some third party apps that can process iWorks files and encrypt them too, the latest version of GoodReader has this capability.

Tim

OP
leeejordan

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Was hoping there was an option rather than faffing about.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple considers the iPad a single user device, so once you put a passcode on the device it's locked and secure...

OP
leeejordan

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes was just thinking ahead as we have family round for Xmas and they will probably want to explore my pad. So wanted keep certain info out of their reach. Any ideas??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, if you are running iOS 5 and syncing with iCloud, you could go into Settings for the app and turn off iCloud. The next time you open the app it will offer you a choice to keep or delete the local files. Delete them.

Later you can go back to Settings and turn iCloud on. The files will sync back to the iPad. If you have a lot, or they are big, it might take a few minutes.

I recommend saving them elsewhere also, just to be safe. Box.net is easy. It works with the WebDAV option.

If you wanted to keep them out your mail, calendars, and such, you can also delete the iCloud account, then sign on again later. That should work with any other type of account as well, but I'd hesitate to do it with a POP account. Sometimes you get more back than you bargained for when you re-add them.

OP
leeejordan

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Looks a s if I will need to do a bit of fudging. Seems such a basic function though. Maybe the next update!!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Looks a s if I will need to do a bit of fudging. Seems such a basic function though. Maybe the next update!!

Don't count on ever seeing password protected files from Apple apps. They consider iPads and iPhones personal devices, and the passcode lock all that you need to keep someone out of your data.

Most reactions