What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to order the Apple TV ~ Now!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Guys ~

But I am confused about some things ~ I know I can stream movies from my Netflix ~ but I don't understand what they mean below.:eek:

From where am I going to stream movies, TV shows, photos? I have Comcast, so I hope that is okay. Then the other states I can rent more TV shows and rentals..

From....where?

Stream movies, TV shows, music, photos, and more to the smaller, redesigned Apple TV. All you need is a single cable to set it up.

Instant movie and
TV show rentals.
Rent movies and TV shows, commercial free in HD. HD movies start at $3.99 and TV shows are just 99¢ per episode.

Next ~

They say I need an HMDI cable. That's it. So they direct you a page with like 100 freakin HMDI cables! umm....No.

Which one?

Last but not least ~ I have a 52' HD LG Flat screen. Apple will be compatible with that?

I think that is it. For now.:D

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple only call it AppleTV. Only users tend to talk about the AppleTV and AppleTV2.

Primarily you stream from your iTunes library wherever you keep it. The computer you have your iTunes on needs to also be on whenever you want to stream from it. You can also "stream" from your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch via AirPlay.

Re:HDMI cables. Don't believe the nonsense about needing to by an uber-expensive HDMI cable. While I wouldn't suggest you buy the cheapest cable - mainly due to build quality - a $25 cable is likely to be totally indistinguishable from a $200 cable once shoved behind your TV and various boxes. Anyone who says anything different is talking utter rubbish IMO; it's a cable for a digital signal - it'll either get there or it won't.

Re: your TV. It'll work fine.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But, maybe you should wait until the AppleTV vXX.XX comes out with blah blah blah features.

Also, you don't need expensive HDMI cables.

Check out this article from CNET. It basically says that most all HDMI cables are the same. No reason to spend more than $10 for an HDMI cable.

CNET uses [ame="http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-2M-6-Feet/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301432237&sr=8-1"]these cables[/ame]. All my HDMI cables came from that Amazon link and I've had no problems. At $2.20 each, it's a great price. The price goes up and down a little periodically, but it's still the best deal.

Trust me, I work in video and I'm happy with them.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I def trust what both of you guys say. So ~ is there an Apple TV2?:eek: All the time I was checking this out, I never saw a 2.

Okay ~ Bob! That link to the cable, it is only $2.20 if you buy $22 more of items, to get that price. I think. If I read that right.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple only call it AppleTV. Only users tend to talk about the AppleTV and AppleTV2.

Primarily you stream from your iTunes library wherever you keep it. The computer you have your iTunes on needs to also be on whenever you want to stream from it. You can also "stream" from your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch via AirPlay.

Re:HDMI cables. Don't believe the nonsense about needing to by an uber-expensive HDMI cable. While I wouldn't suggest you buy the cheapest cable - mainly due to build quality - a $25 cable is likely to be totally indistinguishable from a $200 cable once shoved behind your TV and various boxes. Anyone who says anything different is talking utter rubbish IMO; it's a cable for a digital signal - it'll either get there or it won't.

Thanks for this. Makes sense ~ I like reading your words!

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I def trust what both of you guys say. So ~ is there an Apple TV2?:eek: All the time I was checking this out, I never saw a 2.

Okay ~ Bob! That link to the cable, it is only $2.20 if you buy $22 more of items, to get that price. I think. If I read that right.

No, it's that price now. You have to buy $22.80 more of stuff to qualify for free shipping.

Use the cable as an order filler to get free shipping on other things.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No, it's that price now. You have to buy $22.80 more of stuff to qualify for free shipping.

Oh, I knew that. I was testing you.:eek::D

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for this. Makes sense ~ I like reading your words!

Yeah, they all collect the same amount of dust.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The current black AppleTV is the model 2. I love mine and am thinking about getting a second one. You can do Netflix and a host of other internet provided services including many radio channels. If you have your pictures, music or any other media that is in an Apple accepted format on your PC you can stream that to you AppleTV. Need cables HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! absolutely the best, high quality extremely reasonable prices.

Tom

Reaction score
The Apple TV2 doesn't have a hard drive anymore, so any content displayed needs to be streamed. Anything an Apple TV does can essentially also be achieved by connecting an iPad via HDMI to the TV, except for 5.1 sound that is.

I have also considered the purchase of an Apple TV, but in the end couldn't justify it‘s purchase.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple TV2 doesn't have a hard drive anymore, so any content displayed needs to be streamed. Anything an Apple TV does can essentially also be achieved by connecting an iPad via HDMI to the TV, except for 5.1 sound that is.

I have also considered the purchase of an Apple TV, but in the end couldn't justify it‘s purchase.

hmm....could you translate this? Remember ~ I am in Cali and was blonde.:D

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The model 1 AppleTV was white and had a built in hard drive where you stored your media, that is no longer necessary since you can share your media library with your other Apple devices. I think he is saying that if you have media stored on your iPad you can get a
cable to plug it directly in to your TV and share it that way.

Tom

P.S. You can rent flicks from iTunes and stream that also

Last edited:

Most reactions