What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just made my own smart cover :)

jimmy4fingers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two earth magnets placed in the right spot and BAM off when you close it and on when you open it well not totally off it puts it in sleep mode like the apple cover I am going to imbed the magnets a small bit from the outside so that the don't touch the bezel they have enough power to put it sleep mode tell me what you think? You only need 2 magnets but strong wait I have an update
You only need one magnet I dremeled into the outside of the cover a little bit not to go through the other side then applied some hot glue, now when I close the cover it goes into sleep mode then when I open it she awakens amazing using only 1 magnet I think apple used to many magnets how you like if you try it let me know

Attachments

• image-663233491.png
    image-663233491.png
    911.7 KB · Views: 1,433
Last edited:
OP
jimmy4fingers

jimmy4fingers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's some more pics

Attachments

• image-448080094.png
    image-448080094.png
    789.4 KB · Views: 1,297
  • image-1414520656.png
    image-1414520656.png
    828.1 KB · Views: 1,038
  • image-3285904874.png
    image-3285904874.png
    719.6 KB · Views: 1,037

AHA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice! What is that cover you're using?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well done. Tbh I'm too lazy to bother, but at least you'll get the cover you want.

Just think of how good it would have been if you had used all five fingers :)

Lagranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did something similar this evening -- glued a flat magnet into the flap of an inexpensive folio case I'm using for my iPad2. Now it wakes/sleeps the device just like Apple's Smartcover.

The folio case was just one of those $10 deals from HHI and elsewhere. I used a flat neodymium magnet scavenged from an old harddrive (if you have a modicum of mechanical destruction skills, unwanted HDs are an excellent (free) source of small, powerful magnets). Anyway, after experimenting with the magnet placement for a few minutes, I hot-glued it into the inside of the folio case cover. By lucky coincidence, the cover had an inner flap (for holding paper notes and whatnot) that I was able to place the magnet beneath. It conceals the magnet nicely and avoids having the magnet touch the glass surface directly.

I was a bit surprised to find how loose I could be with the actual placement of the magnet -- there's probably a 5 cm. area it has to be within in order to respond properly.

AppleNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love this idea!! Very nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
jimmy4fingers

jimmy4fingers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just a magnet from the hobby store there strong used to hold down the canopies on remote control airplanes

novatliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TS, thks for sharing. Now it's crystal clear where to place the magnet.

alexjrivera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Magnets + ipad? you are bold. don't magnets erase contents of hard drives? does ipad use a solid state drive and vulnerable to these things?

Don9307

iPF Noob
Reaction score
alexjrivera said:
Magnets + ipad? you are bold. don't magnets erase contents of hard drives? does ipad use a solid state drive and vulnerable to these things?

The iPad doesn't have a hard drive. It uses Flash RAM.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

alexjrivera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don9307 said:
The iPad doesn't have a hard drive. It uses Flash RAM.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Ah ok. So RAM not vulnerable to magnets?

also, i recently got apple external bluetooth keyboard. would like to easily carry this with my Targus 360 case. maybe with a rubber band or something. any ideas on how to pack keyboard with your case?

Most reactions

Latest posts