What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"I just cant justify the cost...ipad 2 is too expensive!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone get this a lot? I took my ipad 2 to a dinner function last night that had about 1000 people in attendance. I was definitely checking out if anyone was rocking a tablet. To my surprise, I was the only one there with a tablet! In fact I didnt even see a single person with even a laptop or netbook.

Heres the general rundown of how the speech went with just about everyone I talked to or saw my ipad, including when I brought it to the dinner table.

Them: "Is that an ipad?!"
Me: "Why yes it is....why do you have one too?"
Them: "How do you like it?.....no I just cant justify the price, its too expensive for what you get."
Me: "Well believe it or not, I felt the same way too before getting one...but once you have one and use it in your everyday life, you will find its worth."
Them: "But I have a laptop already and a smartphone so thats good enough...plus dont need another thing to carry around with me everyday."
Them: "If it was $200 or $300 id consider it but not at $500+."
Me: "Fair enough"

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on what your into. I like gadgets so it's pretty typical to spend anywhere from $300-$800 on an item... it's just kind of the norm. So they may not be into gadgets but say if their into fashion they probably have no problem dropping $200-$500 on a pair of designer shoes. If it's something you are into you don't really have a problem justifying the cost :) As far as taking an ipad to a dinner, I wouldn't really expect to see anyone there with one unless they were giving a speech and it was on their iPad or something like that. A phone is much more discrete.

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't gotten that.
I have been told things like they want one but can't afford it right now.

As has been said, I probably would not take mine to an event like you went to anyway. Wife would shoot me.
I would take my iPhone and sneak it under the table.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had the same experiance!
Sometimes I feel self conscious because the group find myself in may feel i'm showing off. Sometimes they say yea I got one of those for my kid. Or Hey you must be rich, lunch is on you!
So I keep it on the down low and if anyone asked, then I show them all it can do.
Plus I explain that I can't see those little smart phone screens. And if I need my cell phone it will still have a charge after surfing the web for hours.

After that they say man oh man I want one.!

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, I would be more interested in the girl scene at this dinner engagement or rocking it with my girl than setting around pecking on my IPad.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with people who think the ipad is way overpriced, I think it is too.

I use an EeePC at work that can do many things an ipad is incapable of doing & I bought it new with Windows XP Pro for $189.00. I need a PC for work as most of the apps our company uses are not Mac compatible.

The thing is, I love my toys & my ipad2 is WAY more fun to use than that netbook. I am somewhat annoyed that the ipad is so limited in functions for the price they charge, but if/when we ever get a working JailBreak I will be able to really make this a perfect device.

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've gotten that response from a couple of my friends when i told them i was going to get the iPad 2. but what it all comes to down to is how u will be using it. if u can put it to good use and ur happy then thats all that matters. those remarks can get annoying though.

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Compare the iPad 2 to Xoom and other comparable tablets...........is it still overpriced?
That is the only fair comparison to make unless budget constraints forces one to consider anything in the range of an iPad overpriced.

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why worry about other people think? It's your money, you have use for it and your happy with it. If they have a hard time justifying it then that is their problem not yours. Sucks to be them if they can't justify it. I rather surf on bigger screen than surf on my little iPhone screen. I use my iPhone now just for music and little surfing on it. Having iPad is worth surfing on than carry a heavier laptop and it takes less battery to deal with.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone get this a lot? I took my ipad 2 to a dinner function last night that had about 1000 people in attendance. I was definitely checking out if anyone was rocking a tablet. To my surprise, I was the only one there with a tablet! In fact I didnt even see a single person with even a laptop or netbook.

Heres the general rundown of how the speech went with just about everyone I talked to or saw my ipad, including when I brought it to the dinner table.

Them: "Is that an ipad?!"
Me: "Why yes it is....why do you have one too?"
Them: "How do you like it?.....no I just cant justify the price, its too expensive for what you get."
Me: "Well believe it or not, I felt the same way too before getting one...but once you have one and use it in your everyday life, you will find its worth."
Them: "But I have a laptop already and a smartphone so thats good enough...plus dont need another thing to carry around with me everyday."
Them: "If it was $200 or $300 id consider it but not at $500+."
Me: "Fair enough"
Let's forget the price for a moment ... ask yourself why is the iPad so attractive to so many people...they stand in long lines to get them. One poster (love his/her answer) ..." it gets me away from my desk". After a long day at the office with traditional computers (pc's with Windows, Keyboard and mouse, with flash drives for backup) ... I get that is what you want the iPad to be ... but lighter, better screen, no viruses, etc.

What do I like to do to relax, by lounging (try that with a laptop) ... check my e-mail ... surf the web ... check out YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, play some interactive games, read e-books, and maybe watch a movie, and show Photos, etc. Notice, I am not going to sit down and dive into Office applications, Photoshop, etc. That takes a more powerful computer anyway. The iPhone or equivalent is too small a screen ... why do people like the big screen of the TV.

So what is iPad2 ... a 1.5 # hand held screen that is super thin (iPad2) ... has lots of performance ... is back lit to read in dim lighting ... and my finger is my mouse (stylus) ... never lose it... always available to select, change what is going on... with a gorgeous screen that is large enough to really enjoy (not just get by with)

Now how nice is that They work out of the box, are well supported by the Manufacturer (Apple) and you have a wide selection of Apps, that really work. The list is growing rapidly ... and new capabilities are just over the horizon. Linking up with high speed data transfer to super capable iMacs, Macbook Pros, and soon to arrive Macbook AIR, with Thunderbolt.

If you like your netbook, fine. Enjoy what you have. If you want a new adventure ... it's iPad2 plus. FWIW... IMHO.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I get kind of annoyed when people say gee you are rich! No, I have a credit card and I pay it off! I get pleasure from it and that's all I'm going to say.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diesel said:
Honestly, I would be more interested in the girl scene at this dinner engagement or rocking it with my girl than setting around pecking on my IPad.

Lol I was thinking the same thing .

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine when I would ever take my

iPad to dinner! Incredibly rude, way beyond yapping on a cell phone in a restaurant.

bobbcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Indeed it is very poor manners to take most any electronic device to a dinner event or restaurant, as the focus should be on interacting with the other people there.

As for the iPad's price structure, it's reflective of what the market will bear. It provides a real convenience for a number of activities (playing video games, reading ebooks, surfing the web) that just isn't there with regard to PC's, netbooks, laptops, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions