What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just bought an iPad and I have a few questions

MrBlackwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an old iphone user, but only this week I bought my first iPad.

I got the iPad 4th generation and I have a few doubts.

1 - It came showing 93% of battery, but it was draining very fast. I used a lot (but not discharged it completely) and them charged a few times, and it continued to drain very fast the battery life.

Yesterday I decided to complete a full battery cycle. I used the iPad until it turned off, them plugged in the charger and let it charge throughout the night.

Today I picked it with 100% but the battery continues to drain with unusual speed. Is there any way to "correctly charge" the battery? Because I can't see how it will stand the announced 10 hours of usage.

2 - The iPad is heating a lot. Is it normal?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Battery life apparently improves over time. You've already gone down the correct route for calibrating the battery meter.

Only thing I can suggest is updating to iOS 6.1.2 and see if that helps. The update, as you are probably already aware, is to deal with battery issues. I've found through experience that GPS is a real battery killer. Maybe check if anything is using it?

How hot is hot? Intense gaming and screen brightness can have an effect here, but so long as its not too hot to touch comfortably it should be OK. I don't have the problem of a retina display to deal with. My iPad 2 never gets very hot, but iPad 3/4 owners would be in a better position to advise you on this.

As far as I'm aware, we have never heard of equipment failure due to overheating.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 3 gets a little warm, but I'd never describe it as "hot". My TV puts out more heat after use.

Brightness is a battery killer. If you're running at full brightness, that's why your battery is going down fast. Reduce it.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Download the free iPad user guide from the iTunes Store. It details battery care. Basically, at least once weekly you should run the battery down to between 10% and 20%, then put it to sleep on the charger until it's fully charged. Overnight is good. You should avoid discharging past 10%.

Common battery suckers are push notifications and email, excessive brightness, GPS (use a 12V charge cable in the car), not using auto sleep, and many graphics-intensive games. If the back is getting more than slightly warm, the graphics chip is working hard to convert battery charge into heat.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Download the free iPad user guide from the iTunes Store. It details battery care. Basically, at least once weekly you should run the battery down to between 10% and 20%, then put it to sleep on the charger until it's fully charged. Overnight is good. You should avoid discharging past 10%.

Common battery suckers are push notifications and email, excessive brightness, GPS (use a 12V charge cable in the car), not using auto sleep, and many graphics-intensive games. If the back is getting more than slightly warm, the graphics chip is working hard to convert battery charge into heat.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Yes, check and see what features are turned on. Most you'll find you can do without. They all add up and battery life will increase quite a bit as you turn them off or down. If none of that helps then it may be worth contacting apple to have a look.

InHisName

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still fairly new too. I had these same questions too.

I found out I was running a bajillion things and they all ate up battery power. I was told to end a program, to touch all five fingers and scrunch them together like grabbing sheet of paper and wadding it up in one stroke. However, I later found out it does not really shut OFF the program. Doing that is a different step.

To do that, double click the home button, or use four fingers and push screen up an inch. There is name for this hidden bar of running apps, but I forgot. To continue, put one finger on any icon in 'secret' row and hold there until they wiggle. You will see a red minus by each. Press on red minus to REALLY close that app, continue for the rest you want ended. You can leave a few if you're going to use them soon.

If you do this right after charging to 100%, the see if battery discharge is much better.

Something else that helped me to see which we're the battery hogs and more was the below free battery monitor program. I tried five battery apps and liked this one over the other four. It makes recommendations to what to turn off to stretch battery power. i.e. cellular , wifi, other things. It shades ones already off. Lots more uses than this.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-doctor-hd/id459702901?mt=8

Sent from my iPad using iPF, still lots room left in 64GB

Most reactions

Latest posts