What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I had to use my Laptop/Computer today because......

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm looking at compiling a list of times when you have had to use your Laptop/Computer instead of your iPad.
If you wish to contribute please only post when these times related to items which you would have 'normally' carried out the procedure on your iPad but found due to some restriction you had to delve back to your trusty workhorse.

To start us off here's mine for today....

After not using my Laptop for a good six weeks I found a need in having to dig out the Laptop today.
Yesterday I downloaded a file on to my iPad and transferred it to my Dropbox App. Unfortunately only after having completed the transfer did I notice I had named the file incorrectly.
So, logging into my Dropbox account on the iPad I navigated to the file in question only to find there were no option to Rename a file.
No problem I thought, I'll use the browser and log into my Dropbox account.
Bugger.... I couldn't rename a file here either.

So, I played "Lets hunt the Laptop". After locating and digging out the machine I then proceeded to go through the long laborious task in starting it up then having to go through a longer wait whilst it first wanted to update all the programs and other bits laying on the Laptop (including updating 950 Dropbox files) before it eventually allowed me access my Dropbox account.
After half an hour or so I managed to carry out a right click on the file in question and ten seconds later job done.... file renamed, but boy oh boy was it a long and lengthy task.
With the exception of renaming a file in Dropbox, now I remember why I don't use my Laptop anymore.

Over to you, anything to contribute. :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, you are so not going to want to hear this (after dragging out the laptop), but yes, you can change file names in Dropbox via the Safari browser while on the iPad. Sorry. :)

I have to use my big desktop because I like to modify various themes I put on my iDevices. A lot of what I "play" with are the Photoshop PSD files (to make icons that go with the themes). It's no hardship to use the big computer - but it would be handy if I had access to the full Photoshop on the iPad. And yes, I know I could use a remote login app; but since I'm sitting at my desk...

Marilyn

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rarely do I HAVE to use a laptop (or desktop), but I often CHOOSE to use it because I find it more convenient. Most recently, it was the loading of select video files from a friend's flash memory card. On a daily basis, I choose to read and respond to forums such as this on a desktop or laptop because I prefer the real keyboard, shortcuts, and precision of a mouse or touchpad for cursor control when typing and editing text.

OP
Beards

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, you are so not going to want to hear this (after dragging out the laptop), but yes, you can change file names in Dropbox via the Safari browser while on the iPad. Sorry. :)

I have to use my big desktop because I like to modify various themes I put on my iDevices. A lot of what I "play" with are the Photoshop PSD files (to make icons that go with the themes). It's no hardship to use the big computer - but it would be handy if I had access to the full Photoshop on the iPad. And yes, I know I could use a remote login app; but since I'm sitting at my desk...

Marilyn
This I would be very interested in reading Marilyn.
After using the Dropbox App and not finding a way I did load the Dropbox site in Safari but couldn't find a way of doing it.
How did you manage it? It would save me having to lug out the Laptop should I make the same mistake.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My accounts package Intuit Quickbooks Pro 2013,

Programming telephone and security systems

To some extent by using logmein i can use my iPad which works really well, i allows me to leave the laptop at home complete with modem all plugged in.

been using this setup for remote access into the UK via any available WiFi which most cafes have for free, even if a bit slow.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can also use FileExporer to rename dropbox files, in addition to many other cool things.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This I would be very interested in reading Marilyn.
After using the Dropbox App and not finding a way I did load the Dropbox site in Safari but couldn't find a way of doing it.
How did you manage it? It would save me having to lug out the Laptop should I make the same mistake.

Take a look at this photo (I was on the iPad, in Safari and logged into Dropbox when I took the two pictures):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364522750.016622.jpg

The key is to make sure you tap any where BUT the actual document name (which is a link). Then, you'll see the edit menu appear at the top. Pick "Rename" in this case and you can, well, rename. :)

It's a bit fussy to learn, but once you get the hang of where to press, it becomes second nature...

Marilyn

OP
Beards

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take a look at this photo (I was on the iPad, in Safari and logged into Dropbox when I took the two pictures):

View attachment 38600

The key is to make sure you tap any where BUT the actual document name (which is a link). Then, you'll see the edit menu appear at the top. Pick "Rename" in this case and you can, well, rename. :)

It's a bit fussy to learn, but once you get the hang of where to press, it becomes second nature...

Marilyn
Crafty... I like it.
Yes, as you say initially it is a little difficult especially with long file names but once you find that 'sweet spot' it works just fine.
I found though I had to press twice to activate the menu but that's no issue, the fact I can now do this from within the browser will mean next time I need to make a correction I won't have to go through the laptop stages again.

Basically my 19" Laptop and I are having a holiday away from each other and for the time being it is most amicable.

Thanks Marilyn. :)

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These days I only use my laptop for doing work drawings; I've done them in iDraw on my iPad, but much prefer the bigger screen on the laptop - 13", yay! - and the OSX software. Oh, I also had to muck about with my work website the other day, and needed the laptop for that too! Otherwise, I'm prtty much 100% iPad for business and pleasure...

uk1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photobucket

You cannot select more than one picture in organise within Photobucket to bulk delete. So you have use a pc. This is because you need to be able to hold down one button whilst hitting enter.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had to haul out the laptop, as the local airline's online check in portal require flash player. What a pity.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had to haul out the laptop, as the local airline's online check in portal require flash player. What a pity.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Which airline do you use? Several of them have their own apps, where you can check in and even use electronic boarding passes, displayed on your iPad or iPhone screen.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think PC is still king for serious CAD, but i use iPad software for 'fag box' drawings as reference and not required to scale, then add photo's for more difficult or more complex references.

think it boils down to most professional user will have both, but use iPads the most.

I'm on holiday atm in Spain (26% atm ;), using Logmein from my iPad to my home based laptop, this has allowed me to dial into several alarms and phone systems using inclusive UK BT rates. Using BT smart talk if i need to speak to a technical desk i can do so for free from anywhere in the world where i have internet access, using my iphone (over internet).

With my BT landline plan i can phone 0800 0845 numbers for free, again from anywhere in the world.

You might think 'big onions', but i am with T-Mobile, they charge bolt-on for use within Europe (which is not included). Last year while in Austria these bolt ons cost me over £200.00 for what i needed.

both logmein and BT smart talk have both worked flawlessly - and totally for free ;).

Last edited:

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just today, I was trying to respond to another forum (web page, not app). I could not select text for quoting while on iPad. This apparently requires a laptop.

D

dvdcatalyst

My wife uses the iPad mainly for Facebook and photo stuff, and she's been ignoring her laptop for months (it took a while for her to warm up to the iPad though).
This weekend, she had to transfer a bunch of pictures from her phone, so I had to do that for her with her laptop.

With me not using the iPad for much else than video, I did find that putting pictures from a computer (PC) to an iPad is quite a hassle though. Having to setup folders to be monitored for pictures to transfer is a bit of a pain. With videos (manually manage) a drag & drop works great, but why not for pictures is beyond me, unless I'm missing something.

Most reactions

Latest posts