What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I feel so limited with my Ipad2 for business use

Filmguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Purchased an ipad2 for my business as a video producer, I assumed it would make things a lot easier for me but I am having huge issues with this product and am thinking of looking at it's competition to get the right product for my needs.

I love the apps, they have really helped me a lot, especially the voice recorder which allows me to record meetings with my clients which I then use to create my storyboards. Word processing and the video camera are also very handy as I can take some quick reference video while I am on site, I can also copy scripts over from my PC and then update them on the ipad. All good stuff.

The bad thing is that I am really struggling to get my portfolio onto the Ipad. I need to be able to show clients different aspects of video production, maybe they want to see an ident or a short video promo, maybe a documentary, corporate video, steadicam shots or special effects. The trouble is I can't arrange videos into different categories and I am limited to mp4 or quicktime when AVi is the most common video format. Why can't I arrange folders and pop the different types of video into the corresponding folder making it easy for me to access the different video types that I have.

Then there is the old flash debate, Apply say it's a step backwards, well that maybe the case but the fact of the matter is everyone is using flash and I find myself embarrased when my client asks me to view there competators site to show me what they want to copy and I am totally unable to see it as the ipad won't play flash.

Then I have imovie which was to allow me to do very basic edits to show clients how certain video would look cut together, guess what, you can't import video. :thumbsdown:

So here I am wondering if anyone can help me by maybe pointing me to an app that will allow me to organise all my portfolio videos so that i don't have to trawl through them all to find the right one to show my client. The whole ipad experience just seems lacking to me, it's very frustrating and I spend most of the time screaming WHY CAN'T I DO THAT!!! It's becoming a huge let down. :(

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See if these helps:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/5056-slide-show-portfolio-app.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/19161-stock-portfolio-ipad.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/23783-disable-message-about-acrobat-w-goodreader.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/31857-question-about-syncing-1-ipad-2-computers.html

Sorry you are having problems. They can be double frustrating when one doesn't do research before purchasing to make sure the iPad does all you need. :( Flash will never be support by iPad. It is a battery hog, among other things. There are apps as work arounds you can use.

Last edited:

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I came across an app that let's you make folders to organize your videos, its called "playerxtreme - it plays all" and by the name I can assume that it supports a variety of formats. Though I haven't tested it yet, you ought to give it a try since its free.

Regarding importing videos for edit in iMovie on the iPad. I have done so previously. I imported videos taken by my DSLR and successfully edited them on my iPad. It's a bit of a workaround but it works.

First, I uploaded the videos to YouTube using my pc.
Then, I used the iCab Mobile browser on my iPad and downloaded those videos.
After downloading, you can opt to save them on your Camera Roll and once there, you can import them into the iMovie app.

Regarding flash... Well, you can try and use Skyfire browser. But it's sort of a hit and miss for me.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the video organization I recommend AVPlayerHD. It plays almost every format out there and you can create folders and sub folders within that folder. As far as Flash goes there is Skyfire like sir_ben mentioned or you can use Splash Top or LogMeIn and run it on another computer, not sure about the quality though as I haven't tried it.

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
For the video organization I recommend AVPlayerHD. It plays almost every format out there and you can create folders and sub folders within that folder. As far as Flash goes there is Skyfire like sir_ben mentioned or you can use Splash Top or LogMeIn and run it on another computer, not sure about the quality though as I haven't tried it.

I agree. Personally i use splash top a ton during a typical day ad i haven't had any issues with video quality from websites. This is of course using it on the same shared metwork as the splash top client computer. I have tried with no success to connect from a different network with the internet connect option,nut i hacen't needed that option yet anyway.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could use logmein to view your main computer for some of the issues you describe. Or you might want to get the Galaxy Tab 10.1

It's ok if the iPad won't do everything you need to jump ship. Your business comes before Apple's

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know that AVPlayer HD has the feature. I've been using it a lot and I haven't noticed how to do that. Thanks for the tip!

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I used to use BuzzPlayer but I found I like AVPlayerHD more. Plus I no longer have to convert my files :D

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a combination of AVPlayer HD and AirVideo. I use AirVideo if I'm just at home. It just streams the video directly to my iPad and at great quality too. I use AVPlayer HD if I'm going out and gonna be leaving my laptop at home. I put in a few episodes of some shows that I love.

Most reactions

Latest posts