What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought an iPad 3 16 days ago...

robnet77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

looks like I won the lottery... :thumbsdown:

I bought my very first Apple product on October 8th (iPad 3) and wanted to return it after hearing the iPad 4 will be out on November 2nd, but I'm too late!

In order to minimize the financial "loss", what should I do? sell my iPad 3 now or wait a few months?

It's not like the one I have doesn't suit my needs but it's rather annoying seeing a new product launched so early and with such short notice :mad:

Only upside is that I got one with iOS 5.1.1 so I have it jailbroken now, whereas I should wait a while for JB in case I bought an iPad 4...

Any advice? :confused:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
robnet77 said:
Hi everyone,

I bought my very first Apple product on October 8th (iPad 3) and wanted to return it after hearing the iPad 4 will be out on November 2nd, but I'm too late!

In order to minimize the financial "loss", what should I do? sell my iPad 3 now or wait a few months?

It's not like the one I have doesn't suit my needs but it's rather annoying seeing a new product launched so early and with such short notice :mad:

Only upside is that I got one with iOS 5.1.1 so I have it jailbroken now, whereas I should wait a while for JB in case I bought an iPad 4...

If, as you said, the iPad 3 meets your needs, there's no need to update solely on the basis that your iPad is no longer the top of the line.

OP
R

robnet77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If, as you said, the iPad 3 meets your needs, there's no need to update solely on the basis that your iPad is no longer the top of the line.

solely? it's not like I wouldn't appreciate the new CPU, GPU, camera, connector...

Obviously, I would have waited 16 days to get an iPad 4 if I had known the release date before...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
robnet77 said:
solely? it's not like I wouldn't appreciate the new CPU, GPU, camera, connector...

Obviously, I would have waited 16 days to get an iPad 4 if I had known the release date before...

Technology moves forward at an ever increasing pace. There will always be a newer and better version just around the corner. For you, you have to determine if the new features that the iPad 4 offers outweigh the financial cost associated with replacing your iPad 3 with the newly updated iPad 4.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought the iPad 1 a little over two years ago and we're at the iPad 4 already. As long as people are camping out in front of Apple stores to buy the latest version, I suppose we can expect hardware upgrades every six months.

sdleasia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the iPad 4 wasn't released, would you still be happy with the iPad 3? Trying to keep up with the latest and greatest will cost a fortune. Maybe the iPad 4 will have some serious design flaw, or maybe it will be found out in hindsight that the iPad 3 will have been the best iPad ever built. Just sayin' that latest and greatest isn't always the best. I would let everyone else be the beta testers for a bit to see where the flaws are, while also letting supply build up.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple won't exchange it, I would keep the 3. I guess it will probably be a while before the 3 can't do what the 4 can. I would be ticked if I bought my 3 only 16 days ago though. I know you can't keep up with technology, but at least my 3 was the latest and greatest for six months :)
I plan on keeping mine until it breaks.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
robnet77 said:

I hear ya, but no matter when they release a product there will be someone, somewhere that will have just bought the previous version per say. You still got what you paid for and will get a lot of use out of your iPad. I wouldn't fret over a new unit. Yours is still quite capable. Next time, someone else will be the person that just bought the "old" one. ;)

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
robnet77 said:
Hi everyone,

Contact Apple right away they have a policy when they come out the new product they will let you return it within 30 days to upgrade to the new one

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Contact your Apple store......here is my story:

As I previously said in several threads I'm completely satisfied with my iPad 3.
It does exactly what I want and I thoroughly enjoy it............also, I have no complaints with Apple releasing a new model so quickly.

With that said...
I thought for the heck of it I'd call the apple store where I purchased it and see what they say about upgrading to the iPad 4.
If I could upgrade to the iPad 4 with no additional cost to me it would be silly not to.

Stats...
9/23/12: Purchased iPad 3 (32GB) @ Mall of America Apple Store
10/3/12: Exchanged @ Apple store for iPad 3 (64GB)....$100 upgrade plus I also purchased AppleCare +
10/24/12: After calling I returned iPad 3 (64GB) for full refund....they also refunded my $99 for AppleCare + :D

No questions were asked....they completely refunded all money spent in full.

I will now order an iPad 4 (64GB) as soon as possible (supposed to be able to pre-order on Friday 10/26). :thumbs:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
I know Best Buy MOA (Where I work) has the 30 day R/E Policy no matter what. It is company policy. IF you are a Reward Zone Silver member, you have a 60 day R/E policy.

But anyways, you could look at trading in your iPad towards the iPad 4 or Mini or trying to sell it on Ebay, Craigslist, or Gazelle.

OP
R

robnet77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks to everybody, I am now aware of the 30 days policy some companies offer and will call at my local Apple store (in Ireland, Europe) tonight to see what they say...
willl keep you posted, thanks!

robnorwich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried asking in an apple store. I was given my ipad3 on 10th October, and today I took it to the apple store, who took it back and gave me a gift card of the same value, so that I can get one next week when they are on sale.
Can't complain at at Apples customer service!

OP
R

robnet77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried asking in an apple store. I was given my ipad3 on 10th October, and today I took it to the apple store, who took it back and gave me a gift card of the same value, so that I can get one next week when they are on sale.
Can't complain at at Apples customer service!

I went to my local Apple store yesterday and a (very young) assistant told me they couldn't do anything and my best shot would be calling Apple directly.
I just did but they said they don't know anything about this initiative, so I should go back to my local store and talk to the manager... which I'll do tonight...

Most reactions