What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought a second hand ipad4, it keeps asking for iCloud password for old user!

Popsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I brought ipad4 of Gumtree about 10 months ago. Since iOS update it won't let me set up my own iCloud and asks for previous owners password to their iCloud account. I tried to contact this user but he keeps ignoring my calls and texts. I have rest the Ipad to factory settings, but now it won't let me use it at all and keeps asking for password for the old user in iCloud. Please can someone help on how I can by pass this or what I can do....will jail breaking it do this, as I don't want to go down this road. All your help is much appreciated. Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Popsc! Welcome to iPF!

There's no workaround for this, sorry! You need the previous owner's Apple ID and password, or he needs to remove this device from iCloud through a browser/computer. After reading your post, I assume "Find my iPad" is activated in iCloud. Only the former user can turn it off, so that you can set it up as new, with your Apple ID.

The feature can be disabled these ways: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661

OP
P

Popsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply J.A..what if I take it to a Apple store will they be able to sort it or if I jailbreak it will that sort it. Please help

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply J.A..what if I take it to a Apple store will they be able to sort it or if I jailbreak it will that sort it. Please help
I'm sorry, but neither Apple nor jailbreaking can help you here. The only way for your iPad to be activated is to have the original owner input his Apple ID and password. If he won't do that for you, it will be impossible to activate the iPad.

OP
P

Popsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. So it seems as that I'm stuck in Limbo.
I called Apple and they said what Scifan57 replied. There must be away around this some how. Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. So it seems as that I'm stuck in Limbo. I called Apple and they said what Scifan57 replied. There must be away around this some how. Thanks
There is "no way around this". As I said in my earlier post, only the Apple ID and password of the original owner can get your iPad working again.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This thread is awesome advice for anyone contemplating selling their iPad or other Apple device.

Thanks for the heads up everyone!:thumbs:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

jthessin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why can't this particular user just perform a full restore?
We do this all the time in my school district.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why can't this particular user just perform a full restore? We do this all the time in my school district.
Because "Find my iPad" was activated in iCloud, and the iPad was updated to iOS 7. You can't disable Find my iPad/iPhone without the original owner's Apple ID and password on your own in that case.

Last edited:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why can't this particular user just perform a full restore?
We do this all the time in my school district.
I just sold my iPad 2 and the store had me disable Find my iPad, as has been said the original owner didn't do that.

OP
P

Popsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys, I even went to the Apple store and they said they couldn't do nothing. I am a bit miffed with myself and with Apple as I showed them the it in the original box in which I received it and gave them all my details. I just want to get this sorted, as I purchased it in good will from the original owner.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys, I even went to the Apple store and they said they couldn't do nothing. I am a bit miffed with myself and with Apple as I showed them the it in the original box in which I received it and gave them all my details. I just want to get this sorted, as I purchased it in good will from the original owner.
I wish we could help, It's really bad of the original owner just to ignore you, Can the site you bought it from intervene for you?

OP
P

Popsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have emailed Gumtree today and will see what they say. But I doubt they'll do anything as I don't have ad number, but I gave them his email and telephone jumber. Hopefully they can track the ad. Thanks

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have emailed Gumtree today and will see what they say. But I doubt they'll do anything as I don't have ad number, but I gave them his email and telephone jumber. Hopefully they can track the ad. Thanks
Fingers crossed, let us know how it goes....you could always threaten the seller with the small claims court if all else fails, after all he knowingly sold you a device that is no good to you and now is refusing to co-operate in order to put it in a state where it is usable, It might be worth a go as a last resort.

Most reactions

Latest posts