What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am suing Apple

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard on KFBK on the way home that a class action suit was filed against Apple today regarding the overheating problems with the iPad. I understand the complaint is because the iPad can't be used in direct sunlight... I don't see that one going to far, but I do know from experience that some early iPads indeed have some overheating problems. I'm almost positive Apple snuck a fix on that issue :confused:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? Can you really sue for that? Doesn't the judge say don't be so #%$€Â£(@ stupid, just take it back and buy something else.

It's hardly a Prius with brakes that don't work, or a Ford with tyres that explode at 60mph is it?

"ohnoes! MENTAL ANGUISH! I was playing We Rule and it turned off!"

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my 2 cents...

I guess I would be pissed off if I read a lot of books and went to the beach often, but I dont care to read books, but am gonna be going to the beach a lot (leaving for Greece in 3 weeks!:D)..

I have had the ipad turn off a few times and other times I reboot, in fact today I had to hold down power button to reboot cause Safari jammed..

I dont think the lawsuit will hold up much, because your dealing with electronics and many electronics is sensitive to heat and such, so the judge will proll dismiss and say, "look, its not an umbrella, its a sophisticated device that just happens to be sensitive to heat, you put your PC in the sunlight?"

and also, nowhere does Apple state that you can use the ipad in direct sunlight with excessive heat...

anyways, if Apple was selling umbrellas that didn't prevent rain from dropping on you, well, we would have a problem..

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surely the bigger problem about using the iPad in direct sunlight is that you can't see anything because the screen is so damn reflective... I'm surprised anyone could try and look at it for so long that it could overheat!

If only I lived in the US, I could sue for discomfort caused to my eyes or something... ;)

drwinston001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the over heating thing is annoying. Being someone that does read and has experienced this problem I can see where people are coming from but if we're honest, if you take your iPad onto a beach and a numbnuts anyway. I wouldn't take my laptop onto a beach so I won't be taking my iPad for the same reason. Beaches contain sand and water. There aren't many things worse for computers.

It could be worse, it could just keep working until it no longer works ever again like so many electronic items in the past when used in extreme heat.

They don't really care. They've just seen an area they might be able to get some free cash.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ummm, it's a computer....computers are susceptible to heat. Frivolous!!

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whatever happened to unhappy customers just returning their products and buying something else?

The issue is they may not see the problem until after they can no longer return the product. I do believe that there may be some overheating issues when using in sunlight and having a case on the iPad.

As for as the lawsuits go, I think those that have a issue should not get a cash settlement but be offered to return the product and get their money back plus interest (some people may have paid via credit card).

The only winners of a class action lawsuit are usually the lawyers that file it (I can think of some that actually help the consumer as well).

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Kindle or Sony reader have the same sun/heat susceptibility problem?

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I think the User Guide specifies operating temp range. I found it in a Apple Spec google search.

Environmental requirements

• Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Cathie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a reader and was sooooo disappointed when I couldn't read outside. I had sold my kindle before My 64 gb arrived. Well, I ponied up and bought another kindle to read outside with. I still love my iPad and unless it bursts in flames in my hands, I don't plan to sue. Now, AT&T is another story.

Most reactions

Latest posts