What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am needing more space for my 16gb iPad 2 Suggestions?

Jacoblee23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really regret getting the 16gb wifi iPad 2. I need more space for apps and etc. I don't use it for music, because that is what I use my 32gb iPod touch for. I am going to use my newly acquired 32gb touchpad for movies, so I am mainly needing this for app use, and things like that. I have 9gb left. I have read about cloud storage, but do not want to turn on my laptop anytime I need to use a app or something. Anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really regret getting the 16gb wifi iPad 2. I need more space for apps and etc. I don't use it for music, because that is what I use my 32gb iPod touch for. I am going to use my newly acquired 32gb touchpad for movies, so I am mainly needing this for app use, and things like that. I have 9gb left. I have read about cloud storage, but do not want to turn on my laptop anytime I need to use a app or something. Anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks!

You have 9GB left on a 16GB iPad and you don't plan to use it for music or movies. Are you planning to put 20,000 apps on your iPad? My suggestion is to relax.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You have 9GB left on a 16GB iPad and you don't plan to use it for music or movies. Are you planning to put 20,000 apps on your iPad? My suggestion is to relax.

I'd have to agree - if no music/movies are to be placed on the iPad then 9 GB is plenty of space to store extra apps - and 'how many' apps does one need for standard uses? Just relax and delete the apps that no longer of use or interest - :)

P.S. I guess the lesson is to buy capacity twice of what you expect to need - :D

Last edited:

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd still invest in a dropbox account. It's integrated with a lot of iOS apps and you start with 2gb free. In conjunction with a good file management program like GoodReader, it's like having a mobile hard drive.

OP
J

Jacoblee23

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol I'm sorry. I wasn't sure what all 9gb could fit on it. I saw that my space got down to single digits and got freaked out.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol I'm sorry. I wasn't sure what all 9gb could fit on it. I saw that my space got down to single digits and got freaked out.

If you had purchased a 64GB iPad you would have had a bit more than 59Gigs free before you put anything on it. That accounts for most of the six gigabytes you've already used. As long as you don't fill up the iPad with music and movies, you'll be fine. Apps typically take up minimal space.

canon714

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is an option.. Sell it to me cheap and buy a new one. :)

The wireless HD looks like a cool option. I dont have my ipad yet... soon to have it I hope. I am thinking about getting only the 16 gb model due to money. And then adding the wireless HD in the future if I need more space.

I wonder if I can put movies on the wireless HD and play them on the ipad.. I figure that would be the major reason I would need one.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wonder if I can put movies on the wireless HD and play them on the ipad.. I figure that would be the major reason I would need one.

Well, if you check out the link about the Segate device and scroll down, a gal is sitting in a car watching a movie on the iPad, so certainly a consideration (as long as it works as advertised - some negative Amazon comments IIRC?).

Concerning your decision on a 16GB vs. 32GB, well if you're wondering and can afford the additional cost, then go for the larger capacity - that's what I did but a personal decision, of course - good luck! :)

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to give you some idea, the 144 apps on my iPad2 take up 10.2 gbs of space. So, it seems to me you could easily accomodate upwards of 100 apps on your 16 gb with no issues.

Enjoy it!

Daniel448

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do need to hold tons of movies and music, i saw a device from belkin that lets you store another 32 or 16 gb of stuff to playback via bluetooth to your ipad, i think its about 100$

jdpurvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
canon714 said:
Here is an option.. Sell it to me cheap and buy a new one. :)

The wireless HD looks like a cool option. I dont have my ipad yet... soon to have it I hope. I am thinking about getting only the 16 gb model due to money. And then adding the wireless HD in the future if I need more space.

I just got the goflex for my 64 GB IPAD2, mainly for media (5000+ FLAC files and multiple scuba pics and movies. Be srure to update the firmware and get their free app. So far, it woksk like a champ! One bonus is that the interface for adding files is USB 3. Not sure about battery life yet.

Joe

Most reactions

Latest posts