What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How-Tos with 4.2

SamAshley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone please post "How-To" on how to close apps while "multi-tasking", add another mailbox, and add apps into folders?

I've had a Mac for almost 3 years and an iPod touch but this doesn't really help me in the knowledge of these aspects on the iPad.

I think this would also help others out there.

Thanks!!!

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You close apps by bringing up the task switcher and pressing until the icons jiggle, just like deleting a app.

Add accounts in the Settings app.

To move apps to folders tap, hold until they jiggle, drag to folder.

To create a folder drop an app on another app.

The Apple website has all this info and more, plus you can download the PDF of the new User Guide.

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone please post "How-To" on how to close apps while "multi-tasking", add another mailbox, and add apps into folders?

How to close apps in multitasking..
In the app bar on the bottom of the screen you press and hold the app icon until a little red circle with a minus sign appears at the top left corner of the icon.
tap the little red minus circle and the app closes.

How to create folders on the iPad...
How to Create App Folders On The iPhone or iPad | eHow.com

Essentially you hold your finger down on the app icon until it starts to vibrate.
Keeping your finger down on the app icon you then drag it over another icon that you wish to keep in the same folder.
A folder is automatically made from those two apps.
From that point you simply repeat this hold and drag routine only drag any new app icons over the folder you created and release.

I can`t remember exactly how to add a new mailbox and don`t have access to the iPad at the moment to jog my memory.
If no one has answered your question I`ll have a look and post tomorrow.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More useful things:

To change music volume, pause/play, or switch tracks: double tap the Home button, drag the icons to the right, there you'll find the new music controls.

To lock/unlock the screen rotation: double tap the Home button, drag the icons to the right, the lock rotation button appears at the extreme left of the control strip.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to safari bookmarks and select iPad user manual, poor a cup of hot cocoa and start reading. :)

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to safari bookmarks and select iPad user manual, poor a cup of hot cocoa and start reading. :)

I like that they have updated the guide. I dislike that they didn't put the changes in one spot, unless I missed that.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The forum staff are working on a new FAQ and hopefully will be on line shortly .we understand what our forum users want and will provide a comprehensive FAQ to deal with iOS 4.2 soon.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you get the black keyboard? Can't figure that out.

You have to use the advanced password setting to get the black keyboard. To use, do this:

Go to Settings>General>Passcode Lock. Choose to turn the Simple Passcode off. You will then be prompted for a more complicated password (a keyboard will pop up so you can type your new password).

Now, whenever you turn on, or swipe on the iPad, a black keyboard will appear for you to put in your stronger password.

That is the only time I know of that you will see a black keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be patiently waiting on the "how To" thread.....you guys always do a great job with that!!!!

ibgeorgeb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very helpful information. I finished upgrading 4.2 & a clean and error free upgrade - knock on wood. 'preciae y'all. gB

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to use the advanced password setting to get the black keyboard. To use, do this:
Go to Settings>General>Passcode Lock. Choose to turn the Simple Passcode off. You will then be prompted for a more complicated password (a keyboard will pop up so you can type your new password).

Now, whenever you turn on, or swipe on the iPad, a black keyboard will appear for you to put in your stronger password.

That is the only time I know of that you will see a black keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn! I thought it was an option to the regular keyboard....darn, it is cool looking! I have no need for a complicated password so I won't be seeing it. :(

Most reactions

Latest posts