What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to use Dvorak layout in iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there any way to change keyboard layout?

In case you wonder why I want it - because it is faster to type in Dvorak layout (see Wikipedia for detailed explanation).

OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cheers - I'll try that! So far when I searched for Dvorak in iPad on the web the results coming as iPad doesn't support Dvorak!

PS: It will be interesting to read if anyone has compared ease of typing on touch screen between Qwerty and Dvorak.

Last edited:
OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The option there is only for hardware keyboard. Seems that it is not possible for on screen keyboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is correct. You can not change the touch keyboard's layout to Dvorak. I believe you can find a few app in the App Store that will let you enter text with a Dvorak keyboard, but that text will have to be copy & pasted to other apps later.

Still, since touch typing on the screen keyboard is never going to be fast to begin with I kind of doubt the Dvorak keyboard layout would help that much (other than providing a more familiar layout for devoted Dvorakians). :)

It would be kind of like getting professional running shoes to jog on the treadmill.

OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder how difficult it would have been for Apple to include Dvorak option in on screen keyboard.

They are offering Qwertz, Azerty etc. then why not Dvorak as well?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably not difficult, just that there is always one more thing you can do/add, and you have to stop somewhere.

I admit that a Dvorak keyboard made more sense to me too, unit I looked up the other two in Wikipedia. I think the key words were 'widely used in fill-in-the-blank regions' which makes it a move towards international compatibility, rather than variations (however more efficient) that never quite make it mainstream.

Hawkeye89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. Apple includes many different keypads in OS X to include Dvorak and it is very easy to set up and use. I. was led to believe the iPad would include the same keyboard options. I Was wrong! Appears Apple chose to exclude the Dvorak option on the iPad operating system. Why?

I request that Apple ADD Dvorak option to the iPad. I am tired of suffering through the normal keypad. PLEASE,

Hawkeye89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Dvorak keyboard is over 38 percent faster than the normal keyboard. So it is not just a familiarity thing. Dvorak is also much easier to use. Apple, please give us the Dvorak.

Hawkeye89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
That is correct. You can not change the touch keyboard's layout to Dvorak. I believe you can find a few app in the App Store that will let you enter text with a Dvorak keyboard, but that text will have to be copy & pasted to other apps later.

Still, since touch typing on the screen keyboard is never going to be fast to begin with I kind of doubt the Dvorak keyboard layout would help that much (other than providing a more familiar layout for devoted Dvorakians). :)

It would be kind of like getting professional running shoes to jog on the treadmill.

Your understanding of the Dvorak keyboard is very inaccurate. The Dvorak keyboard is over 38 percent faster and over 50 percent easier to use. It is more like getting professional running shoes versus running barefoot on sharp gravel.

Hawkeye89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

I hope you are right about finding Dvorak under British. The Apple store iPad expert could not find it. I will give it a try.

Hawkeye89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
'Settings', 'General', 'Keyboard', 'International Keyboard', 'British', 'Dvorak'

Tim

Tim,

Unfortunately, your solution does not work in the software section. I made the change you listed and I am still hunting and pecking on a regular keyboard.

We can only request the Apple makes the change in the keyboard options like the do in OSX.

Hawkeye89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Your solution to adding Dvorak keyboard of settings/General/Keyboard/international keyboard/ British/Dvorak. Does Not work to change the iPad keyboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your understanding of the Dvorak keyboard is very inaccurate. The Dvorak keyboard is over 38 percent faster and over 50 percent easier to use. It is more like getting professional running shoes versus running barefoot on sharp gravel.

I understand the Dvorak keyboard well enough, and just how it produces that greater efficiency. It is almost entirely about the mechanics of touch typing; more efficient key placement to distribute the work between hands, and the most common keys closest to the home rows and stronger fingers.

I think you underestimate how much a cramped, non-standard, touch keyboard is going to impact that efficiency. There have been a few, very few, people who have reported being able to touch-type with the iPad's touch keyboard with any real efficiency. Dvorak is all about making touch typing efficient.

So I maintain, that except for those few who are comfortable with holding their hands above a keyboard with 'no' contact, and have the spacial/motor skills to still be accurate that way; the primary benefit would be finding the keys where you are trained to expect them. I don't deny that there should be some improvements. Just having the more heavily used keys a bit closer together will help some; but hen pecking is hen pecking. A 38% efficiency improvement proven on a physical keyboard does not necessarily translate to the the physical and layout compromises inherent to the iPad's hardware.

It is just my opinion of course, and I have no studies to back this up. If you do, specific to the type of screen/keyboard involved, I will be happy to change my opinion.

Hold in mind I have no objection to the idea of Apple including a Dvorak keyboard. I even think they should. I believe the only reason they did not was because they were concentrating on supporting regional keyboard styles, not professional ones: They will probably get around to it eventually. You could probably help hurry that on it's way by giving them some feedback, if you haven't already.

Apple - iPad - Feedback

Hawkeye89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I understand the Dvorak keyboard well enough, and just how it produces that greater efficiency. It is almost entirely about the mechanics of touch typing; more efficient key placement to distribute the work between hands, and the most common keys closest to the home rows and stronger fingers.

I think you underestimate how much a cramped, non-standard, touch keyboard is going to impact that efficiency. There have been a few, very few, people who have reported being able to touch-type with the iPad's touch keyboard with any real efficiency. Dvorak is all about making touch typing efficient.

So I maintain, that except for those few who are comfortable with holding their hands above a keyboard with 'no' contact, and have the spacial/motor skills to still be accurate that way; the primary benefit would be finding the keys where you are trained to expect them. I don't deny that there should be some improvements. Just having the more heavily used keys a bit closer together will help some; but hen pecking is hen pecking. A 38% efficiency improvement proven on a physical keyboard does not necessarily translate to the the physical and layout compromises inherent to the iPad's hardware.

It is just my opinion of course, and I have no studies to back this up. If you do, specific to the type of screen/keyboard involved, I will be happy to change my opinion.

Hold in mind I have no objection to the idea of Apple including a Dvorak keyboard. I even think they should. I believe the only reason they did not was because they were concentrating on supporting regional keyboard styles, not professional ones: They will probably get around to it eventually. You could probably help hurry that on it's way by giving them some feedback, if you haven't already.

Apple - iPad - Feedback

I sent Apple a request to add Dvorak to their large list of optional keyboards. Not sure if it will get any attention.

You might want to learn why the letters were placed where they are for standard keyboards, and how they became standard to discover the significant differences between Dvorak and Standard keyboards. Similar story comparing Apple Mac operating system to Microsoft PC, where Dvorak and Mac are far more effective, and efficient, because they were designed that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions