What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to us 32gb sd cards on THE NEW IPAD 3 (NOT IPAD 2) without external power source.

h1a8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a jailbroken ipad 3. I wish to use 32gb sd cards on it (for movies) without external power source. I know there are hacks for ipad and ipad 2 (i read that apple changed the output power on the new ipad 3). I understand I need ifile. I tried reading through some other threads but they mentioned only the ipad 2 and they didn't mention 32gb memory (but 6gb memory).

Please let me know the minimal things I need to achieve getting a 32gb sd card to work on the new ipad 3 (not ipad 2) for my movies. Please don't point me to places where they discuss the ipad 2 because I heard the ipad 3 is different.

If 32gb is not possible yet then I'll accept 16gb memory. Nothing less. I do not want to use external power source either.
Also I would be interested in 32gb flash drive too as a secondary option but again without using an external power source.

Thanks!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All you need is the SD card adapter from the Camera Connection Kit. All SD cards can be read on all iPad models without any concern regarding power. The Power issue you have heard about is related to USB drives only. There is no enough power supplied through the dock connector to power most USB drive. SD Cards are fine however.

OP
H

h1a8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All you need is the SD card adapter from the Camera Connection Kit. All SD cards can be read on all iPad models without any concern regarding power. The Power issue you have heard about is related to USB drives only. There is no enough power supplied through the dock connector to power most USB drive. SD Cards are fine however.
Thank you!
So once I get the Camera Connection Kit, just apply ifile right?

Most reactions

Latest posts