What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer iPhone contacts to iPad without iCloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teacup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I just bought the new iPad - it is the first time I own an iPad and I do not want to mess it by doing something stupid this is why I ask. Now my case is the following - I have a veery old iPhone (I think it is a 3G but might be of the first generation) - anyways it does not support he ios 5 and the icloud. Murphy's law dictates that I have all my contacts loaded on my iPhone.

How do I go with the contact transfer over to my new iPad - without the use of the iCloud? Thanks for your suggestions.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally, I enter all of my contacts into my Google account. Then, I set up my my iOS devices to use my Google account for contacts. Works well. Now, I never update a contact on my iOS device, just on my Google account (I may take a picture on my phone but I still update my Google account for contact info. iOS pulls down the information quickly. Works on my iPhone, iPad, and Android devices too.

RodC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
teacup, you can also use iTunes to sync your iPhone contacts with Outlook (or your Windows Adress Book). Next - connect your iPad and again, via iTunes sync the device with your Windows Address Book/Outlook. This should transfer the contacts to your iPad.

OP
T

teacup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you AQ_OC and RodC for your answers. Problem is I neither have a Gmail account, nor would like to use iTunes sync, as the iTunes library on my PC is different from the library on my iPhone and I am afraid the iPhone would be wiped away. Thanks for your continuing patience and advise.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to Settings > General > About on your iPhone and see what iOS version it is running.

Then go to the App Store and search for contact export. Browse through the apps. You are looking for two things.

One, that it supports your iPhone's iOS version. You'll find that under the Requirements.

Two, that it will export in the vCard format. That will be buried in the description somewhere.

Another good feature would be that it will email the result; but any transfer method that you can use is good enough.

Keep an eye on the reviews, of course. No point in getting (buying) and app that does not work, or works poorly.

Once you have the vCard file all you have to do is email it to yourself, then use the tap on the attachment in Mail for the option to import the contacts.

I did do a quick survey of the available apps. Providing you have iOS 3.1.2 or laterer and a computer (on the same wi-fi network as the iPhone and iPad), Contacts Air Backup looks like it will do the job for you; though it does not seem to have the more desirable email options.

Good luck.

Last edited:

henry98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
teacup, you can also use iTunes to sync your iPhone contacts with Outlook (or your Windows Adress Book). Next - connect your iPad and again, via iTunes sync the device with your Windows Address Book/Outlook. This should transfer the contacts to your iPad.

I do agree to this, once you sync your iPhone with Outlook, you will get contacts copied on to your system and thenafter you can transfer it to other device.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Let me add a caution.

The Contacts app has been known to spontaneously lose all contacts. It hasn't been happening much lately, and it was mostly very large contact databases when it was common; but it emphasizes that it is not a good idea to keep all your contact data in one place. Syncing is good. Syncing with more than one device/computer better.

I don't now if you intend to use iCloud when you can, but you should consider syncing with some service, iCloud or not.

OP
T

teacup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet and RodC, thank you much for the suggestions. RodC, I downloaded and installed copytrans contacts. This managed to sort me out.

Forhad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use "Copy Trans Contacts" It will transfer the iPhone contacts to your PC than transfer the contacts to your iPad.

zhuhonglin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
softulike.com
thank you AQ_OC and RodC for your answers. Problem is I neither have a Gmail account, nor would like to use iTunes sync, as the iTunes library on my PC is different from the library on my iPhone and I am afraid the iPhone would be wiped away. Thanks for your continuing patience and advise.
hi, teacup, you can first use a third-party software to transfer your iphone contacts to your ipad, and use itunes to sync it to your ipad, but now here, you do not want to use the iTunes Sync function, the software also can help you, it can transfer files from computer to ipad with the iTunes only works. if you really like it, you can email me,my email is p051510974#yahoo.com(replace # with @).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As this is an old thread and the OP had his problem solved last June, we'll now close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions