What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to set up TLS security on the mail app

AnotherBigAl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use modern TSL (Transport Layer Security) instead of the older SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) for the mail client? I am administering a iPad for a client who uses a third party junk mail filtering service that insist, quite rightly, on decent, modern security. I cannot set this up on my clients iPad, nor use his prefered email client, Thunderbird, where this level of security is offered.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm. This article isn't for the iPad, but it seems Apple includes TLS in it's SSL settings. Or I could be reading it wrong, or it doesn't apply to the iPad's SSL settings. I've found nothing, so far, specific to the iPad.

Configuring Mail for your email account (Mac OS X v10.5 and later)

Incoming mail server supports Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)? Yes [ ] No [ ] Your provider may call this Transport Layer Security (TLS).

If you have not done so it might be worth trying to set your clients email up in Mail and making sure that SSL is turned on; with the appropriate ports set if they are not default.

That would explain why I never heard of TLS, anyway.

OP
A

AnotherBigAl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I've been there. The mail account setup has only two options Use SSL or don't use SSL. SSL and TLS are two very different protocols. Please see Transport Layer Security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. One does not act as a substitute for the other.

Actually I cannot find much about security anywhere on the Apple sites (plural). As a Linux user I am very aware that the majority of security issues surround Microsoft products. Within Apple the risks are reduced somewhat but only really because MS is a large soft target with, dare I say it, more followers than Apple. MS products are now so bloated it is a constant battle to close loopholes and memory leaks.

All of that said, there is no good reason why Apple should not offer support for the more secure TLS. It has been around long enough as even the last update, RFC 5246 is dated August 2008 RFC 5246 - The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2.

Anyway, I am going to sit back and see if anyone else can offer any suggestions/hacks/workarounds. Thank you for your interest twerppoet. It's good to talk.

Most reactions

Latest posts