What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to send to GROUPS with iPad Mail

Brysowg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad will easily send to multiple email addresses - but the interface allows only ONE email to be added to the send line at a time. I have figured out a way to put a GROUP list in the iPad contact program.

First off be aware that I am using GMAIL with the mail program. also note that I am NOT using any other applications other than came with the iPad. So I am using apple mail AND apple CONTACTS. You will also need to use apple NOTES to implement this technique.

My group technique:

Go to apple MAIL and send yourself a email to your iPad and on the cc line add ALL of the contacts in your address book. Since this is just to get the addresses all lined up correctly for you - you may just say HI to everyone and tell them you are setting up your iPad mail.

When the mail message comes back To your iPad it contains ALL of the addresses you are interested in GROUPING. Now follow this closely. NEXT FOWARD THIS MESSAGE to your iPad mail.

When it comes back as a forwarded message YOU WILL SEE THE EXPANDED EMAIL ADDRESSES in the body of the text.

Next COPY THESE EXPANDED EMAIL ADDRESSES and paste them in your notepad. NOTE - when you go to copy them make sure you get the magnifying glass and not the contact copy. To do this just put your finger over text before or after the addresses. Once the magnifier comes up use SELECT and drag the nibs over the entire collection of addresses. Then copy these into a temporary page in apple NOTES.

Go to apple NOTES and edit cleanly those addresses you want as a group. Then SELECT those addresses and COPY. The only reason I put them in NOTES is to facilitate easy editing of the addresses.

Next got to CONTACTS and create a new contact called - ALL FAMILY or ALL PRIVATE or ALL SCHOOL... You get the picture. Under the email for ALL FAMILY you will be copying JUST THOSE EMAIL ADDRESSES that you want grouped as FAMILY. When finished select DONE.

Next check it out and when you want to send a Email to your family use ALL FAMILY and it will Indeed be sent to everyone in your family.

I left the addresses in NOTES and cut and pasted several GROUPS and made a number of them in CONTACTS. It should save you time. It works really slick...

I hope you will find this useful...

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi welcome here from Asia,

Thank for your tip’s, it look like not so simple but useful … i will have a try and give you my comment soon as possible

OP
B

Brysowg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really is pretty simple...

Technically all you are doing is putting expanded email addresses on ONE email line in CONTACTS. If you want to send 3 emails just put them in the correct format on one email line in your CONTACTS group labeled SEND TO THREE or whatever. The reason I have you cutting and pasting is simply to insure that you do use the right grouping style that is expected. Here is an example :

Mom <xxx@yyy>, Dad <xxx@yyy>, Sister <xxx@yyy>, My Vista <xxx@yyy>, My iPad <xxx@yyy>

If you create a new contact in CONTACTS called ALL FAMILY and for the home email address paste in all of the above - it will work. as an example...

Pretty neat trick and works every time...

Last edited:

jamescary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Group emails, the REALLY easy way

Check out EZ-Groups in the app store. Create a Group for your list, then you can easily create an email and send it to everyone in the group. You can also share Contacts names, phone numbers and email addresses using the vCard standard.

jmac4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this post, Brysowg. Your simple method has saved me hours of headaches without having to abandon my gmail contacts.

jamescary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a neat "trick"

Technically all you are doing is putting expanded email addresses on ONE email line in CONTACTS. If you want to send 3 emails just put them in the correct format on one email line in your CONTACTS group labeled SEND TO THREE or whatever. The reason I have you cutting and pasting is simply to insure that you do use the right grouping style that is expected. Here is an example :

Mom <xxx@yyy>, Dad <xxx@yyy>, Sister <xxx@yyy>, My Vista <xxx@yyy>, My iPad <xxx@yyy>

If you create a new contact in CONTACTS called ALL FAMILY and for the home email address paste in all of the above - it will work. as an example...

Pretty neat trick and works every time...

Nice and creative, but, not the easiest way to manage groups. Also, can you see what other "groups" someone is in? How about export them to vCards so you can share them with others? You can with ez-groups. It also integrates with your address book, so you can see your groups from there as well.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might try tapping the little plus sign to the right of the To: line...

My Exchange groups come up fine. I don't have group addresses for my Gmail account...

OP
B

Brysowg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the plus (+) does let you add the group that you created via my method, or also allows you to add individual addresses one at a time. But the plus (+) will not let you create groups in your contact file on your iPad - only bring in those contacts you already created...

But I don't have Exchange and normal GMAIL did not support groups - either locally on the iPad nor on the web GMAIL account. As far as I know if you are using a off the shelf iPad user with individual GMAIL and no access to exchange you cannot create groups except by using my method. Now that is not to say that google will give you the option at some later time...

If you use your iPad with your companies corporate Exchange account server then your company created groups will be there...

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's very odd. You can create groups in GMail. I have nor in an account I use for a magazine I edit, but it's not one of the accounts I use with my Contacts on my iDevices.

If I use Atomic to open GMail on my iPad I can start to type the name of one of my groups (eg. reviewers) and the group name appears in the auto-pick list.

jmac4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I just took the bait and spent the .99 on Atomic. No difference. Google Contacts and the Ipad just don't seem to work together when it comes to groups.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it is. But if you have a group of peoople you email frequently, you can create an email group and just type in the one group contact instead of the multiple differernt email addreses.

For instance, I'm on a rec volleyball team and to email my teammates weekly, I can type in the six people's contacts individually, or I can email my "Vball team" contact and it will automatically send it to the six people for me.

Very handy.

ardi911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dude I've got the exact problem ! Single contacts appear instantly, but seems there has never been any Groups created in your address book! It's drivin' me crazy ... Haven't you found any solution yet ?

Most reactions

Latest posts