What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to save iPad photos to Dropbox?

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see people mentioning they do this, but I don't see how. I have some pictures I took with my iPad2 but none of the action options let me save to Dropbox. I can email, assign to contact, wallpaper, print or Copy. But nothing says 'Save to Dropbox'

How do I do this?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First download the app dropbox from the app store.
Then open the app
Setup/log into account
Goto the 'uploads' tab
Hit the "+" to upload...
Hope that helps...

OP
W

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does help, thanks. I was expecting a way to do this from the native Photos app but now see how to do it like you said. DOH! Thanks!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also download the dropbox software for your pc as well...which is free. So anything you save to your dropbox on iPad will also be available on the pc without having to sync.

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got Drop Box on iPad and my Ubuntu. Pictures and music show up in the Drop Box in the iPad. Question is, other than putting in Favorites in the Drop Box, is there a way to get the music into the iPad system in one of their files or will I have to listen to the music on Drop Box and view photos the same way? Would be nice to get them on the iPad itself.
If there isn't a way to do so from Drop Box, I'll have to probably install VB and fix a Windows ISO in it. All I have for Windows is the 18 CD's that I got stashed when creating the back up because stupid MS and the PC maker don't put the Windows CD's with the product any longer. Dumba**es. Plus I don't have the key for it either. Lost the book that I had when I originally got the pc. Is there a legal Windows ISO available with a Key and you don't have to pay for it or is that wishful thinking on my part? ;)

Thanks

GB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can move any file that you can open in DropBox to other apps, providing they register themselves with the system as compatible. You tap on the box/arrow icon at the top right for compatible apps.

GoodReader can also upload/download files from DropBox, and is more versatile. You set it up under the Connect to Servers section.

As for moving music or movies into the iPod or Videos library, the only way I'm aware of is to copy it to iTunes on the computer and then sync. They do not offer an Open In option or the ability to directly download from the web.

If I remember right from other posts you are using a Linux system, and I'm not aware of what options exist for it as a workaround.

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can move any file that you can open in DropBox to other apps, providing they register themselves with the system as compatible. You tap on the box/arrow icon at the top right for compatible apps.

GoodReader can also upload/download files from DropBox, and is more versatile. You set it up under the Connect to Servers section.

As for moving music or movies into the iPod or Videos library, the only way I'm aware of is to copy it to iTunes on the computer and then sync. They do not offer an Open In option or the ability to directly download from the web.

If I remember right from other posts you are using a Linux system, and I'm not aware of what options exist for it as a workaround.

Was able to put photos on the iPad by hitting the box in the right upper corner. But, unable to do anything with the music, no matter if it's .ogg, mp3 or whatever. Keeps saying unable to find app. Then when you click on the click here line, a bunch of apps open for the Drop Box, about 141 of them. Are they free? Will they automatically download to the iPad? Which one would be good for transferring music to the iPad?

Thanks

GB

Goofy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To find your Windows OS key, get / search for a little App called KeyFinder and it will display the key on that PC.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Was able to put photos on the iPad by hitting the box in the right upper corner. But, unable to do anything with the music, no matter if it's .ogg, mp3 or whatever. Keeps saying unable to find app. Then when you click on the click here line, a bunch of apps open for the Drop Box, about 141 of them. Are they free? Will they automatically download to the iPad? Which one would be good for transferring music to the iPad?

Thanks

GB

One of the reasons I mentioned GoodReader is that it will download files regardless of whether it recognizes the format or not. It's a much better interface to DropBox than the DropBox app, at least for most tasks.

As for finding apps that will play the music, at least the ogg format, you're on your own. The only secondary music app I use is OPlayer, and it does not seem to support that format.

You can not import music to the iPad's native music library from DropBox, or any other cloud service. The only way to get it into the iPod or Videos apps is to sync with iTunes or one of the third party iTunes substitutes. I'm not familiar with any of them. If you can get Peled's attention, I believe he knows just about every available way to avoid iTunes, though he might not be familiar with the Linux solutions.

karenl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a newbie to apple but I found sugarsync to be a lot friendlier than dropbox for my ipad. I need help gettinga video into my photos so i can edit with reelDirector. I have moved my video into the ipad via sugarsyncs email...but haven't a clue how to get it inside the Photos icon. Can anyone help?

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
One of the reasons I mentioned GoodReader is that it will download files regardless of whether it recognizes the format or not. It's a much better interface to DropBox than the DropBox app, at least for most tasks.

As for finding apps that will play the music, at least the ogg format, you're on your own. The only secondary music app I use is OPlayer, and it does not seem to support that format.

You can not import music to the iPad's native music library from DropBox, or any other cloud service. The only way to get it into the iPod or Videos apps is to sync with iTunes or one of the third party iTunes substitutes. I'm not familiar with any of them. If you can get Peled's attention, I believe he knows just about every available way to avoid iTunes, though he might not be familiar with the Linux solutions.

So Goodreader can't work it's usual magic with music files?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So Goodreader can't work it's usual magic with music files?

You can download and play mp3, and probably a few other, formats in GoodReader. You can't transfer them to the iPod app. Nothing but iTunes can do that. So, nope, no magic there.

You can use other third party music apps, and use Open In in GoodReader to move music files to those (though there are probably better ways). The only one I've used is OPlayer. It is handy for playing some formats the iPod app won't, but it's an otherwise mediocre app.

Now, I said nothing but iTunes can put music on your iPad into the iPod app. That is not strictly true. There are third party computer programs that will do this. I'm not familiar with them, and you need to be careful how you set up iTunes, to avoid conflicts (because you still have to use it for some things). So be sure to do research if you decide to go that route.

Do a few searches for posts by Peled. He operates this way, and has mentioned some programs and setups before.

Ayrshire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Where is the connect to Servers section?
When I go into Settings and then slide down the left side to my apps section until I highlight GoodReader ... I get an option ( on the right ) to turn a button ON or OFF saying "Don't open anything". at the moment mine is turned OFF, is that suppose to be on?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Where is the connect to Servers section?
When I go into Settings and then slide down the left side to my apps section until I highlight GoodReader ... I get an option ( on the right ) to turn a button ON or OFF saying "Don't open anything". at the moment mine is turned OFF, is that suppose to be on?

In lieu of a thousand words. ;)

GoodReader_CtoS.png

Last edited:

Most reactions