What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reset ipad mini?

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to reset ipad mini?[SOLVED]

Hi all,
I want to give my version 7 jailbroken ipad mini to my son. I want to remove everything of mine and reset it. How to do resetting? I tried via settings twice but nothing happened. I have no access to my laptop also to do via itunes.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to Settings - iCloud, turn off "Find my iPad" and delete your iCloud account first. You'll have to enter your password to get this done.

Then go to Settings - General - Reset and select "Erase all content and settings". This will remove everything from your iPad, and it can be set up as new.

If this doesn't work, there's no other way I know than with a computer using iTunes, which you should do when your device is jailbroken, afaik.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, I want to give my version 7 jailbroken ipad mini to my son. I want to remove everything of mine and reset it. How to do resetting? I tried via settings twice but nothing happened. I have no access to my laptop also to do via itunes. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you want your jailbreak to remain?

You should not use the reset features through the settings app on a Jailbroken iPad......I've heard doing this could leave your iPad in a bad state.

I've moved your thread to our Hacking Section where the knowledgeable folk there will be better able to advise you on what to do

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to give my version 7 jailbroken ipad mini to my son. I want to remove everything of mine and reset it. How to do resetting? I tried via settings twice but nothing happened. I have no access to my laptop also to do via itunes.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

The key question here, is: Do you want to give your son a jail broken Mini or a stock one running the latest iOS (7.1.1 as of this writing)?

There are different processed to "cleaning" your device of your personal information based on your answer.

And, as leelai pointed out - never, ever (!) use the Reset section in the Settings app to "erase all contents and settings" on a jail broken device. That is a guaranteed way to mess up your iPad.

Marilyn

OP
A

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The key question here, is: Do you want to give your son a jail broken Mini or a stock one running the latest iOS (7.1.1 as of this writing)?

There are different processed to "cleaning" your device of your personal information based on your answer.

And, as leelai pointed out - never, ever (!) use the Reset section in the Settings app to "erase all contents and settings" on a jail broken device. That is a guaranteed way to mess up your iPad.

Marilyn

Thanks to all who presented to help. I would like to give him a stock one as per his choice. Your further help will be much appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who presented to help. I would like to give him a stock one as per his choice. Your further help will be much appreciated.

This is the easiest option, so I'm glad that's what you want to do. :)

First, go to the Settings app on the Mini (Settings > iCloud) and ensure "Find My iPad" is OFF.

Then, connect the Mini to your iTunes on your computer. At the main summary page, you should see two buttons, "Update" and Restore." Click on the Restore button.

iTunes will do its magic and will [eventually] ask you whether you want to set the iPad up as new or from a backup. Elect to set it up as new. Then, iTunes will finish and you will have an iPad Mini on the new iOS and stock.

Don't do anything else with it and disconnect it from iTunes. It will be in a like new, fresh-out-of-the box state, ready to hand over to your son.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any issues.

Marilyn

OP
A

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the easiest option, so I'm glad that's what you want to do. :)

First, go to the Settings app on the Mini (Settings > iCloud) and ensure "Find My iPad" is OFF.

Then, connect the Mini to your iTunes on your computer. At the main summary page, you should see two buttons, "Update" and Restore." Click on the Restore button.

iTunes will do its magic and will [eventually] ask you whether you want to set the iPad up as new or from a backup. Elect to set it up as new. Then, iTunes will finish and you will have an iPad Mini on the new iOS and stock.

Don't do anything else with it and disconnect it from iTunes. It will be in a like new, fresh-out-of-the box state, ready to hand over to your son.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any issues.

Marilyn

Thanks a lot Marilyn for your help. As I pointed out in the first post that I have no access to my laptop where I have itunes.

Have I to install itunes to another laptop to do the job? If that is must then I have to install on my brother's laptop. Thanks.

Sent from my Coolpad 9976A using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Marilyn for your help. As I pointed out in the first post that I have no access to my laptop where I have itunes.

Have I to install itunes to another laptop to do the job? If that is must then I have to install on my brother's laptop. Thanks.

Oh, sorry, my bad. I didn't re-read your first post before answering this last time.

Yes, you will need to use iTunes to do the restore; you cannot restore a jail broken iPad without iTunes. So, yeah, you'll need to install iTunes on another computer if you don't have access to yours.

Marilyn

OP
A

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, my bad. I didn't re-read your first post before answering this last time.

Yes, you will need to use iTunes to do the restore; you cannot restore a jail broken iPad without iTunes. So, yeah, you'll need to install iTunes on another computer if you don't have access to yours.

Marilyn

Thanks a million Marilyn once again. I will try and let you know later.

OP
A

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

Thanks once again Marilyn. I successfully reset my iPad mini and handed over to my son. Bundle of Thanks to all who replied to the thread for help.

Cory Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, New user sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Hello, I am having an issue with an iPad mini. My grandma purchased it a couple months ago but she passed away. I am trying to reset the device but I am getting prompted to login with her appleid. I do not know her appleid or password. Is there anyway I can reset it still.

I tried resetting it and i am at the activation page.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, New user sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Hello, I am having an issue with an iPad mini. My grandma purchased it a couple months ago but she passed away. I am trying to reset the device but I am getting prompted to login with her appleid. I do not know her appleid or password. Is there anyway I can reset it still.

I tried resetting it and i am at the activation page.
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Unfortunately, there's no way to get past the activation page, if you don't know her password, when her device's software is iOS 7x. That's a security feature that came with that software last year. Sorry!

What you could try is to contact Apple or take it to the next Apple Store. Hopefully they can help you.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Activation Lock (anti-theft security) is a great addition to iOS. However, Apple needs a standard process for bypassing it in cases like this. There have been several news stories about people not being able to recover an iPad from a deceased relative, so they can't be ignorant of the issue.

I'd call my nearest Apple Store, or Apple Tech support (may cost money) and ask if they have a process available for this. If not, I'd give some feedback to Apple on the issue. Don't expect a response from the feedback form, that's really rare, but you'll know you've done something to let Apple know they need to step up their game.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Most reactions

Latest posts