What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remote control an IPAD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madewomen2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not trying to be a smart-alec, but could you please tell me the scenario where you would need to control the ipad remotely. I am very interested to hear why.
Hilarious.. i really would like to know too.. because i thought it was backwards you suppose to use the iPad to remotely access your Pc...lmao

Wontoncookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a classroom of children and you want to be able to see what each iPad is doing.
If you have a older adult and need to remote control from the internet to assist them.

tristian2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is not a silly question, Apple have missed a trick here. say you have a workforce armed with ipads, say for sales and looking good to the customer. you cant assume the sales staff have the time to resolve any technical issues.. you're technical staff should be able to remotely administer the pad. i was disappointed that logemin is merely a tool for an administrator to control her computers.. there's a gap in the market here..

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can relate. I once called Toyota and asked if I could mow my lawn with my Camry. They said "No, it wasn't designed to do that." "But", I asked somewhat incredulously, "I don't understand why not. My lawn needs mowing and my Camry has the wheels and the motor and a steering wheel and stuff." "Yes", they replied, "But it's a car, not a lawn mover. You know we make mowers as well as cars right? Why didn't you just buy one of our mowers to do exactly what you require?" Well that kinda ticked me off.:mad: What kind of attitude is that for a company as big as Toyota to take?

"Well you're supposed to be such an innovative company, why can't you just make it mow my lawn like I want so I don't have to buy two different vehicles to do the things I need to do on wheels?" I shot back. "Well we make many vehicles to perform many different functions. If we tried to design one vehicle that would do everything for everybody, it would be so cumbersome and so expensive that no one would be able to drive it, much less afford it", the lackey on the other end of the line said.

"Did you do any research before you bought the Camry?", he said a little more accusingly than I would've cared for.:mad: "Of course", I sharply retorted, "Who wouldn't research an important purchase like this before buying it?", I said self-satisfyingly. "But nowhere in all the reading and Googling I did, nor in the manual for the car was there any hint whatsoever that the Camry would NOT mow my lawn." I knew I had him there.;) "I just would like you to make a vehicle that will get me to work and mow my lawn and a bunch of other stuff that I need."

"Sir, maybe you should've bought a John Deere."

:(

Last edited:

FinalEchelon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First let me say I am in no way bias in regards to technology due to its brand or how you interface with. I love my Droid X smartphone, my 64bit Win7 laptop, my iPad2, the Mac Mini in my car (Great for music and videos for the kids!!), my Ubuntu and Suse linux servers at home... I love it all.

What I hate is when someone (Micro Soft, Apple, Motorola, anyone) tries to limit or remove basic/expected functionality and explain it away with some nonsense like "that's not what it was made for" or "why would you want to do that?"

But I have come to expect this from the corporate world. It's par for the course with them, really. But the end users? Really?

wow ...just wow... Are people really so bloody ignorant, so profoundly stupid as to not be able to grasp the concept that maybe, Just MAYBE, even something so freakin amazing and awe inspiring as their holy iPad might, on the oh so rare occasion, fall into a situation where someone might need to remotely access and have control of it because they simply can not physically get to it?

What combination of an obscenely low IQ and delusional view of Apple's grandeur needs to exist as to think that never could there be a scenario where an iDevice is in need of remote assistance and there not be an "Apple Genius" within 20 minutes.

Like I said before, I love all forms of computers from toys to tech. But this is what has kept Apple from being a true competitor in today's enterprise class company. Blind acceptance of what you, the end users, are spoon fed and complacency with the "over-priced-toy" stereotype that true IT professional have stamped on your devices and will never give a second though to until you force your "toy's" respective manufacturer to show us different.

It is neither reasonable, cost effective or fall in line with best practises to root, jailbreak or otherwise hack every mobile device for the sole purpose of making it do something that it should already be capable of doing.

Besides, if it's less than 10 devices then it's not a large enough part of the network to bother with as ROI will simply not be there. If it's 10+ devices then it's simply to much of an administrative burden and ROI will simply not be there.

And I do not reserve my venom solely for Apple. Motorola is equally in the mix.

While I do not have a viable solution for the original poster, and other inteligent responders, I at least hope that I have made someone realize that responses of the "why would you want to do that?" nature are a waste of a reader's time and fall cleanly in line with other notable ignorance through out history (ie. the earth is flat and at the center of the universe; the automobile is a passing fad; licensing DOS for a small fraction of what he could sell it for? what on earth is Bill thinking?)

So to sum up, if the only response you can muster is "why would you want to do that?" then perhaps someone should have asked your parents the same thing when they decided to give birth to you. So please, remain silent and keep your ignorance to yourself.

And to those who think your iPad wasn't "made to do that" and that it never should, in regards to remote access, among other things. If you so choose to believe that, fine. But get your "toy" out of my IT dept. and stop asking if you can use it for work instead of your laptop. Real work requires real computers.

To all those I did not p!$$ off, have a great day

FE

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First let me say I am in no way bias in regards to technology due to its brand or how you interface with. I love my Droid X smartphone, my 64bit Win7 laptop, my iPad2, the Mac Mini in my car (Great for music and videos for the kids!!), my Ubuntu and Suse linux servers at home... I love it all.

What I hate is when someone (Micro Soft, Apple, Motorola, anyone) tries to limit or remove basic/expected functionality and explain it away with some nonsense like "that's not what it was made for" or "why would you want to do that?"

But I have come to expect this from the corporate world. It's par for the course with them, really. But the end users? Really?

wow ...just wow... Are people really so bloody ignorant, so profoundly stupid as to not be able to grasp the concept that maybe, Just MAYBE, even something so freakin amazing and awe inspiring as their holy iPad might, on the oh so rare occasion, fall into a situation where someone might need to remotely access and have control of it because they simply can not physically get to it?

What combination of an obscenely low IQ and delusional view of Apple's grandeur needs to exist as to think that never could there be a scenario where an iDevice is in need of remote assistance and there not be an "Apple Genius" within 20 minutes.

Like I said before, I love all forms of computers from toys to tech. But this is what has kept Apple from being a true competitor in today's enterprise class company. Blind acceptance of what you, the end users, are spoon fed and complacency with the "over-priced-toy" stereotype that true IT professional have stamped on your devices and will never give a second though to until you force your "toy's" respective manufacturer to show us different.

It is neither reasonable, cost effective or fall in line with best practises to root, jailbreak or otherwise hack every mobile device for the sole purpose of making it do something that it should already be capable of doing.

Besides, if it's less than 10 devices then it's not a large enough part of the network to bother with as ROI will simply not be there. If it's 10+ devices then it's simply to much of an administrative burden and ROI will simply not be there.

And I do not reserve my venom solely for Apple. Motorola is equally in the mix.

While I do not have a viable solution for the original poster, and other inteligent responders, I at least hope that I have made someone realize that responses of the "why would you want to do that?" nature are a waste of a reader's time and fall cleanly in line with other notable ignorance through out history (ie. the earth is flat and at the center of the universe; the automobile is a passing fad; licensing DOS for a small fraction of what he could sell it for? what on earth is Bill thinking?)

So to sum up, if the only response you can muster is "why would you want to do that?" then perhaps someone should have asked your parents the same thing when they decided to give birth to you. So please, remain silent and keep your ignorance to yourself.

And to those who think your iPad wasn't "made to do that" and that it never should, in regards to remote access, among other things. If you so choose to believe that, fine. But get your "toy" out of my IT dept. and stop asking if you can use it for work instead of your laptop. Real work requires real computers.

To all those I did not p!$$ off, have a great day

FE

Niiiiiiice first post there hotrod. Did it possibly ever occur to your magnificence that interweb forums just might be educational in more than one direction? By asking "why would you want to do that?" the poster just might be asking to learn something and that it wasn't necessarily snarky or ignorant? Or, that by asking the question a better answer might be forthcoming? Uh, probably not, eh?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, it seems that asatoran nailed it: Logmein Rescue does indeed allow some sort of remotely controlling the iPad, according to their webpage; although, the subscription price was almost enough to make me fall off my chair. I wonder if anyone here has actually "experienced" it.

I too would really like to have this functionality but, I reckon I'll just wait for the Splashtop version. :D

Last edited:
OP
J

jcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stay constructive

Hi Guy,s,
When I posted this question, a while ago, I was not guessing that It could have generated so many passionated remarks and comments. Let me repositionned a little bit the issue and make come down the debat to a more constructive's one.
my concerns were uniquely to find a way to give help remotely to some IPAD users. Despite the fact that Apple and its fantastic device had tremendously contributed to democratise the multimedia, internet access and the usage of technologies such as IT, it remains for IT professionnals like me, a tool which has to answer to the needs of its users. Getting help where ever they are, whenever they want and whoever they are (geek or beginner) is the main goal of my question. As FE, I do not believe in the perfect machine who does everything better than the others but I truely trust that a good solution is a solution provided with the best tool able to cover the question/need (should it be pc or mac or whatever else.
If I am able to understand Tim's answer, explaining me that for security reason an IPAD can not be controlled from its IOS, I have nevertheless difficulty to believe that Apple mentors did not think about to deliver these so useful tool to their baby...maybe in a next OS version, we'll see.
JC

nasomi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's one. I want to watch tv episodes i stream from my media server to my ipad, which is connected to my tv on the other side of the room. i'd like to take my iphone, and when one episode ends, put the other on. being able to remote control my ipad would prevent me from having to get up and cross the room.

However, I sort of understand apple's point of view. It's their product. They can do what ever they want. If these were make or break issues, you wouldn't have bought one. Apple looks at it this way: If you don't like it, buy something else. It's their toy, they made it, and they're letting you use it. They dictate what the features are, what it can or can't do. People seem to be hung up on the concept that apple owes them what they want. Apple doesn't owe anyone anything. They make a product and put it on the market. It's your responsibility to research it, and decide if you like it or not. Same goes for the toyota analogy. If you don't like it, make your own.

Brooklyn57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remote control for iPad?

Does anyone know if there is some sort of a remote control for iPad? I recently bought Griffin Cinema Seat for my iPad, so that my kids can watch films at the back. I am wondering if there is a some sort of a remote control for iPad, so that I could pause or rewind or change the films, so that I wouldn't reach behind to iPad during the drive?

Thank you for your help

Brooklyn57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts